Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
DriVer,

Here's what I have found, after 25,000 miles, about driving my Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 38R on a Workhorse W24 chassis with a 3,400 pound Saturn Vue toad. We are fulltimers and the rig is just under the rated GVWR.

Normally the cruise control is set at 60 mph, sometimes 62 when driving east of the Rockies. As I come to a grade and the speed drops one or two mph I manually turn off Overdrive. I find at that speed when the Allison downshifts to fourth gear the engine RPMs go right to 3,200 which, according to specs, is where the 8.1L puts out maximum torque. Then I return the Overdrive switch to "On" and the rig may slow to 55 mph, or not, depending upon the severity of the grade. Quite often it will accelerate back to 60 mph while climbing the grade and return to 5th gear. Sometimes on long climbs I will repeat this process. Sometimes it will not accelerate but hold the speed around 57 or 58 until over the crest of the grade. In almost all cases this is how it goes. Sometimes it surprises me when I don't downshift and the speed may drop somewhat but the torque will just pull the grade in 5th gear.

On more severe grades the speed may drop to 54 mph and it shifts to 3rd gear and then gradually accelerate. In this case, when the speed has gone back to 56 or 57 mph, I tap the brake to drop out of cruise and the transmission will up-shift to fourth. By applying momentary pressure on the gas pedal I do not lose any speed; I then hit "Resume" and cruise control takes over again. By dropping out of cruise I force an up-shift to 4th otherwise the engine will really rev as the transmission will stay in third until the set Cruise speed is reached. (I really wish the Allison would automatically up-shift through the gears when returning to set cruise control speed.)

On a recent Winnebago caravan I had two testimonials from fellow travelers regarding the performance of my W24. One day I was following another member by about a quarter mile. Using the stated technique on hill I somehow always closed the gap and would wind up right behind him and have to slow up to his speed. Later in the day he commented that his 35 foot Adventurer's Ford V-10 and transmission was always shifting and could not maintain speed.

Another day's travels found another member with a Winnebago Journey diesel following us. He later mentioned how well my gas-powered coach seemed to do on hills.

All this is just my .25 cents worth from a satisfied Workhorse owner.

Thanks for listening,

Ding-a-ling
Frank
04 W-24 Itasca Suncruiser 38R

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
DriVer,

Here's what I have found, after 25,000 miles, about driving my Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 38R on a Workhorse W24 chassis with a 3,400 pound Saturn Vue toad. We are fulltimers and the rig is just under the rated GVWR.

Normally the cruise control is set at 60 mph, sometimes 62 when driving east of the Rockies. As I come to a grade and the speed drops one or two mph I manually turn off Overdrive. I find at that speed when the Allison downshifts to fourth gear the engine RPMs go right to 3,200 which, according to specs, is where the 8.1L puts out maximum torque. Then I return the Overdrive switch to "On" and the rig may slow to 55 mph, or not, depending upon the severity of the grade. Quite often it will accelerate back to 60 mph while climbing the grade and return to 5th gear. Sometimes on long climbs I will repeat this process. Sometimes it will not accelerate but hold the speed around 57 or 58 until over the crest of the grade. In almost all cases this is how it goes. Sometimes it surprises me when I don't downshift and the speed may drop somewhat but the torque will just pull the grade in 5th gear.

On more severe grades the speed may drop to 54 mph and it shifts to 3rd gear and then gradually accelerate. In this case, when the speed has gone back to 56 or 57 mph, I tap the brake to drop out of cruise and the transmission will up-shift to fourth. By applying momentary pressure on the gas pedal I do not lose any speed; I then hit "Resume" and cruise control takes over again. By dropping out of cruise I force an up-shift to 4th otherwise the engine will really rev as the transmission will stay in third until the set Cruise speed is reached. (I really wish the Allison would automatically up-shift through the gears when returning to set cruise control speed.)

On a recent Winnebago caravan I had two testimonials from fellow travelers regarding the performance of my W24. One day I was following another member by about a quarter mile. Using the stated technique on hill I somehow always closed the gap and would wind up right behind him and have to slow up to his speed. Later in the day he commented that his 35 foot Adventurer's Ford V-10 and transmission was always shifting and could not maintain speed.

Another day's travels found another member with a Winnebago Journey diesel following us. He later mentioned how well my gas-powered coach seemed to do on hills.

All this is just my .25 cents worth from a satisfied Workhorse owner.

Thanks for listening,

Ding-a-ling
Frank
04 W-24 Itasca Suncruiser 38R

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks Driver, Nice writing Frank. I too am very pleased with the performance of my Bone Stock 2002 W22 chassis under a 36 foot motorhome pulling a Saturn. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I look in the mirrors on a long steep grade and see all the other motorhomes and trucks falling behind. I have never had my Workhorse floored and never push it over 3800 rpms going up hills.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
Thanks Driver, Nice writing Frank. I too am very pleased with the performance of my Bone Stock 2002 W22 chassis under a 36 foot motorhome pulling a Saturn. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I look in the mirrors on a long steep grade and see all the other motorhomes and trucks falling behind. I have never had my Workhorse floored and never push it over 3800 rpms going up hills yet am able to stay in front of the pack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote