Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
W-24 Shock bushings

I have a 2006 W-24 with Bilstein shocks. The rubber bushing on the rear bayonet style shocks are dry and cracking...shocks are fine. Does anyone know where I can buy new bushings? And, has anyone ever replaced theirs and was it straight forward to accomplish? Thanks, Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Mine were cracked as well when I removed them last year to install the Koni's. Have you contacted Bilstein? They do rebuilding of their shocks so it's conceivable they have the bushings.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just spoke with Bilstein rep. Seems the bushings are bonded to the metal and not replaceable---but the entire shock is. Marketing!!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Are you talking about the lower mounts on the rear....two big washers and two large rubber bushings w/bolt through the middle?

If so I just replaced my oem shocks and have all 4 bushings if you want them(FOC) just PM me.

If you google bayonet style shock bushings, several 4x4 sites sell them separate from shocks.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Bilstein was no help. However, I did finally find a Workhorse site that sells the rubber bushings separately. ultrarv.com

My concern now is jerboy's reply that the upper rubber is bonded to the shock.

The 06 W-24 rear shocks are bayonet on BOTH ends, in other words, it takes 4 rubber bushings per shock to replace them.

Has anyone taken theirs off and attempted to remove the top bushing? I feel certain that I could cut it off...bonded or not, but I'd like to know for sure before I start disassembling it.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #6

I'm sure a sawzall with a good blade could cut through the rubber and steel bushing....worth a try if you are site the shocks are still good. How many miles on them?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW

It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of misinformation posted on the web including this site.

First of all the bayonet rubbers on Bilstein shock are replaceable and available. They are available from Bilstein directly and as I type this I am looking at my package I bought from them. The part number for a package of four is E4-B60-76 and are described on the package as "Bushing 60mm OD 20mm Id" There is also a number of 430760 on the package. So obviously Ultra RV can get them from Bilstein also
Old 10-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pardon me.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of misinformation posted on the web including this site.

First of all the bayonet rubbers on Bilstein shock are replaceable and available. They are available from Bilstein directly and as I type this I am looking at my package I bought from them. The part number for a package of four is E4-B60-76 and are described on the package as "Bushing 60mm OD 20mm Id" There is also a number of 430760 on the package. So obviously Ultra RV can get them from Bilstein also
Could you post up a link to where you purchased them, I am having a hard time finding them on the Bilstein website?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
The bushings arrived promptly from ultrarv.com and were a workhorse number WOO6178, $6.80 each. I changed them all out this morning and I'm good to go. Shocks were still in excellent condition...it was all this old boy could do to compress them for re-assembly.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post

The misinformation came directly from Bilstein via jerboy so I hope you are not blaming him since he only repeated what he was told. If Bilstein can't properly train it's employees then the result will always be confused customers.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
The misinformation came directly from Bilstein via jerboy so I hope you are not blaming him since he only repeated what he was told. If Bilstein can't properly train it's employees then the result will always be confused customers.

I agree. There are many uneducated people working for companies who spout gospel without knowing what they are talking about. To find the correct people at Bilstein I asked for the technical department, they often know way more than the customer service who answers the phone and it was a woman who answered tech line and knew exactly what was needed, part number and cost.