Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spoonman:
I would assume the Workhorse Ambassadors would be able to tell you what the procedure is for maintenance. They seem to be conspicuously absent from brake discussions lately,liability issues maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Spoonman, That's not really fair. I've posted miles of ink regarding brakes and all one has to do is use the "FIND" feature. This forum is more than one dimensional, the chassis owners here do a pretty good job offering information. All they need sometimes is just a bit more time.

There is a sticky post at the top of this forum all about Bosch brakes. I'd start there.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #16

Didn`t mean to be unfair to anyone and don`t think I was.
JC2 asked a fair question and was politely asking for help to make sure he gets what he needs when he gets service.
I`m apoligise if I have hurt anyones feelings.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spoonman:
Didn`t mean to be unfair to anyone and don`t think I was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's all good! No problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #18
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
Just curious, why should you have to tell an authorized service center for Workhorse what needs to be done in the way of service on your motorhome. There is a maintainence schedule on the chassis, and since Workhorse wrote the schedule, who better would know what is due in the way of maintenance?

Dieselclacker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because sadly there are SC's out there that don't have a clue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Went to the WH SC here in KC Mo yesterday and talked with the service writer about performing brake maintenance/lubrication on our 04 W20 WH chassis. Even after trying to explain some of the concerns/problems that have been occuring with certain systems he apparently knew even less that I did. This was the MAIN reason I posted my original question here but unfortunately no one had the answer.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opinion the main problem with MH brakes is nonuse. As they set for long periods of time the slides and pins rust. Periodic inspection and lubrication helps.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
That couldn't be further from the truth! They have already determined that there was unexplainable pressure at a single wheel. Ford, Intl.,and workhorse use the same major braking components. Ford moho's sit around just as much as ours and their not having any braking issue's. Their now trying to determine which parts in the system are different between the three different chassie's. "My pins have been well lubed, thank you very much".
Old 04-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This was the MAIN reason I posted my original question here but unfortunately no one had the answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JC2: We have the complete Bosch technical service manual posted at the top of this forum. EVERYTHING you could want to know is there. Yes, it does take a lot of reading, but when you're finished, you WILL probably know more than most any service writer. Sorry, but I don't have the "Cliff notes" version. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #22

Mr.Speed Racer
Normally I would say you are correct. BUT do me a favor and google "motorhome brake caliper problems". On my search my motorhome problem is the first item that appears related to problems. Not Ford, Freightliner, Spartan or Roadmaster. Do you think Workhorse owners drive less and service their vehicles less than the others?
I would venture to guess that you haven't read the statements by people like the guy that had 2300 miles on his rig when his brakes went bad. I would also say that you don't have this problem. If you did your blood would probably boil when you read statments like the one you made.

In my case (which is mild in comparison) I have twice, in the last 14 months, been grounded for days waiting on parts that can only be provide by a Workhorse dealer while on a trip which has a time margin dictated by school vacation. When you have to tell your kids you can't go snow skiing because of brake failure you study all available document (like the info posted by DriVer)make sure the next time you have everything checked by yourself and a mechanic . When you spend $75 to $100,000 on a RV you don't mind spending $200 to make sure all is well before your next trip. On another trip you make (one week after mechanic inspection) with your parents who insist they are too old to make a future trip with the grandchildren, the same brake problem occurres on a different wheel.
In my case I have done everything known by myself and the mechanic to prevent brake problems that seem to have no end.

I could go on but I must go.

(Used Rv for sale NEW brakes, lines, caliper and fluid, will trade for Ford)
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by speed racer:
In my opinion the main problem with MH brakes is nonuse. As they set for long periods of time the slides and pins rust. Periodic inspection and lubrication helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely not true. We use ours about 10,000 miles per year and it never sits more than a few weeks at a time. It has had full brake services by a certified dealer per the published maintenance schedule. I have had all four rotors replaced due to severe cracks in the first 36,000 miles. Of course Workhorse says that it is all my fault because I abuse the brakes, which is nonsense. As RottenRalph posted, if the problem is caused by bad driving habits why does only Workhorse and none of the other chassis manufacturers get all of the bad drivers?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't understand my lack of use when I had 3 calipers and rotors replaced at 3600 mi. in the first 5 months. I live on the East coast where it's flat.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Z:
I don't understand my lack of use when I had 3 calipers and rotors replaced at 3600 mi. in the first 5 months. I live on the East coast where it's flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>George Z, On your 2006 model year motorhome there must have been something anomalous with the braking system that was identified as a being suspect and defective in your case. Obviously this situation was resolved at no cost to you which is indeed fortunate. Going forward I don't believe this event will reoccur and you should not have any further problems with your brakes. However I'm sure that we'll all know about it here first if something does go wrong in the future.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, your partially correct.The problem was corrected at no cost to me, but the cause was not discovered. I now travel with caution and my towing card.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am finding it difficult to get comfortable with this issue even after starting over with an essentially completely new (rebuilt) brake system. There are reports of catastrophic failures at 3,600 miles and at 36,000 miles, and at various points between. Since nobody seems to have a clue what is causing them and given that no changes have been made I have to assume that they can recur at any time. Like George I am driving with caution and trying to avoid mountains. That is not what I had in mind when I bought this thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hwybnb:
I am finding it difficult to get comfortable with this issue even after starting over with an essentially completely new (rebuilt) brake system. There are reports of catastrophic failures at 3,600 miles and at 36,000 miles, and at various points between. Since nobody seems to have a clue what is causing them and given that no changes have been made I have to assume that they can recur at any time. Like George I am driving with caution and trying to avoid mountains. That is not what I had in mind when I bought this thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Know how you feel we had RH side caliper failure, brakes on that side burnt up on trip home from the RGV. Have new right side calipers and rotors,and left side serviced (Easy Care service contract paid for about half). Workhorse service center did not know why they failed. Drove 300 miles on home everything fine. we are not afraid, but will keep a close watch on brakes. Why was the left side fine??? Have 40000 miles on rig bought it with 22000 three years ago and had brake recall done at 22000 miles. Will report this to the Feds. Richard