Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
rjw

i brought a 2002 dutchstar about 2 years ago,on the way home smell something hot it went away,took several trips no more trouble.let it set 6 months and on the way home right front got hot,took it in and had the pins lube,several more trips no trouble.let set 5 months ,change out brake fluid ,leaving town both front brakes was dragging,pull into truck stop,left front hung bad,a truck driver came over and tapped on the bolt holding the caliper on,it unlock right away.the recall was done 06-05 both front calipers was repalced.what i would like to know will they hang up again if i dont let it set.do i change out the calipers again???thanks.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by rjw:
i brought a 2002 dutchstar about 2 years ago,on the way home smell something hot it went away,took several trips no more trouble.let it set 6 months and on the way home right front got hot,took it in and had the pins lube,several more trips no trouble.let set 5 months ,change out brake fluid ,leaving town both front brakes was dragging,pull into truck stop,left front hung bad,a truck driver came over and tapped on the bolt holding the caliper on,it unlock right away.the recall was done 06-05 both front calipers was repalced.what i would like to know will they hang up again if i dont let it set.do i change out the calipers again???thanks.
Lot's of 'view' but no replies? Since no one actually knows what is causing the brake caliper problems at this time, about all you can do is preventative maintenace and drive with care and maybe a little caution, just like you already are doing. You may never have another caliper problem, or you might; no one can say for sure. You might want to file a complaint regarding what DID happen at NHTSA, or at least review all the complaints that have been filed to give you more information and insight to your specific situation...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #3

RJW, yes it will probably hang again. I have a 2004 W22 that I have had the left front caliper hang on several occasions. What I have started doing is paying close attention that when I stop that while in gear it will creep ahead, for if the caliper is hanging it won't do that. Also on mine I can feel it in the steering wheel when it starts to heat up. If mine heats up I pull over the first I notice it and let it set for a while and then it will release and I can go on my way. both time this has happened I was able to continue with my trip and once it was over 2000 miles without any more problems.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #4

I had simular issues. I tried removing, cleaning and greasing the calipers along with changing the brake fluid but still had problems until I changed the sticking calipers. That was over a year ago with no problems since(Knock on wood). I also try not to let the moho set up for more than 3-4 weeks without at least a Sunday drive.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can report it to www.nhtsa.gov
Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
.... let it set 6 months and on the way home right front got hot,took it in and had the pins lube,several more trips no trouble.let set 5 months...
rjw, I know that there is obviously a very good reason as to why your motorhome has to sit for so long and if that is how you pursue your RV lifestyle then so be it.

In 2001 I had a new W20 and I went seasonal with it. We left it in a campground for many months without driving it. During this period of time I became very active in the motorhome forums here on iRV2 and what I learned back then was that a motorhome is meant to be driven.

All the systems need to be run at operating temperature, under load for extended periods of time, routinely. Not doing so invites unwanted issues that we would not think would be possible on a low mileage vehicle - but as rain is wet it does indeed happen.

A couple of years ago we went to Space Coast Campground in Rockledge, FL. Parked there was a brand new full paint Winnebago/WCC Adventurer. When I went to talk to the owner he said that he works at the campground and he doesn't move his rig at all for up to 8 months at a time.

In speaking with him I suggested that he add Sta-Bil to the fuel, fog the engine and generator and at least get into the motorhome and run it up and down a few exits on I-95 every month. He's got the thing all plumbed in with plastic pipe on the sewer connections and he's got these statuettes and rugs and all kinds of whirligig outdoor things including a screen house etc. This guy isn't in any frame of mind to run that motorhome frequently.

Now when he goes to run his motorhome back home or where ever I expecting that something is going to fail. Exactly what that would be I'm not sure however I'm sure somethings gotta give. If you own a motorhome the old adage is to "Run it like you stole it!." It makes a lot of sense for all those automotive components that are just crying to be run ragged.

Regarding your front calipers and if those have been changed recently I would imagine that those will be good to go for the next few years without any trouble. You will want to make sure to flush your brake fluid annually since your MH sits a lot. This will help displace moisture which attacks the metal bores inside your calipers and other brake system components. What might concern me next would be the rear calipers.

In my recent brake service I replaced the front calipers and kept the rears. Unfortunately this strategy did not work out and I had to change the rears as well. As of right now I have all new brake components and the motorhome is running and stopping excellently. We are about to run down to Florida for about a month and we expect that there will be "0" brake problems. I currently am clocking on the Odometer just over 74,000 miles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver,
I have a few questions that plague me on the brake issue.

I personally suspect the ABS system as the cause or contributing to the cause.

1. Has anybody ever evidenced the Workhorse Repair center using their scanner to check for any
trouble codes during a brake repair?
2. If so, were there any codes? and if so what were they? They should appear on the repair bill.
3. Has anyone any information on any unit having a BRAKE Problem with the ABS fuse pulled
(ABS disabled) ?
4. Does anyone know why Workhorse has made the ABS, ODB codes unavailable to the OBD &
ODB2 code scanners?
(These are not multi million dollar Grand Prix chassis, they are light duty truck chassis.)
Anyone that can make a scanner, should be able to access them.
(There are millions of these type chassis on the road made by dozens of different manufacturers
both US and Foreign without problems, many using many of the same components that
Workhorse is using) Wreckers, fire trucks, cargo trucks, small dump trucks, etc..
5. If it is a caliper problem, should there not be a problem with more than one caliper at a time,
and perhaps only one caliper problem per life of the brake pads, not multiple calipers, or multiple
axes?
6. What is the failure that turns on the ABS light on the dash?
(It must be serious, ABS is inactive when the light is lit) Mine comes on and off, sometimes just
going down the flat highway with no brake activation at all. My motor home has been parked
since September and I can go out there right now and start it up, and the ABS light will come on,
and most times stays on until I have gone through town and out onto the Interstate, and stay on
for 5 or 10 more miles.
7. What is the ABS failure that puts the message on the Atria dash readout?
I had neither 6 or 7 above when my right rear caliper froze against the rotor, going up a steep
hill, and wiped out both the caliper and rotor, four or five miles from the last time I used any
braking. That wheel could not have been turning the same as the other three wheels, yet no
warning.

There must be some Workhorse Technicians that reads these threads, I wonder if anyone has
ever found an ABS code set in the computer?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
in your message you say that youve replaced the brake fluid is that correct? i thought changing the fluid was supposed to pretty much fix these problems. isnt that whats been said so many times by one of the guys here did you use the right kind of type of fluid
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No ULTRASLIDE guy, that is just their latest GUESS. (change brake fluid)
It started out as the WH drivers dont know how to drive an RV. Then it was
the caliber slide pins, and the zerk fitting on the brake transfer bar.
And somewhere in there the ABS was suspect.

I had change the brake fluid twice before my second brake glitch...Tenn.

And I outgrew my softail (know what I mean?) now it is RK for the duration.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide:
Isn't that whats been said so many times by one of the guys here did you use the right kind of type of fluid
UltraClassicElectraGlide:, The strategy of changing your brake fluid is a proactive measure that needs to be done routinely from the onset of the vehicle being placed in service "OR" if you have just replaced a number of calipers like I recently did. (all 4)

Just changing the brake fluid years after the fact will not guarantee that an owner will not have brake problems.

Changing the brake fluid now when a vehicle is not presenting any problems is a worthwhile task which may help extend the service of the brakes.

New DOT3 fluid will also not contain any water. Water reduces the effectiveness of the brakes so it is always a good idea to change the fluid regardless of how long the vehicle was placed in service.

Way back when I bought my first motorhome I was told back then not to buy a motorhome and allow it to sit for 6 or more months at a time as a routine. Motorhomes are vehicles and they need to be run often. I cringe when the owners of brand new motorhomes tell me that they are workcampers and move from one place to the next and sit upward of 8 months at a time.

This practice is bad for all the automotive systems in the motorhome and it is a critical issue on tires as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjw:
in your message you say that youve replaced the brake fluid is that correct? i thought changing the fluid was supposed to pretty much fix these problems. isnt that whats been said so many times by one of the guys here did you use the right kind of type of fluid </div></BLOCKQUOTE> My third failure happened after new brake job, new fluid, and driven 500 miles in about 4-6 weeks. So new parts, new fluid, and I used it preceding my third failure. I drove it on a 400 mile trip last weekend and the brakes just dont feel right. They didnt fail as far as I know but thet JUST dont feel right. Maybe im gun shy. Safe Travels
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
No ULTRASLIDE guy, that is just their latest GUESS. (change brake fluid)
It started out as the WH drivers dont know how to drive an RV. Then it was
the caliber slide pins, and the zerk fitting on the brake transfer bar.
And somewhere in there the ABS was suspect.

I had change the brake fluid twice before my second brake glitch...Tenn.

And I outgrew my softail (know what I mean?) now it is RK for the duration.
yeah, i understand tenn.vol i read alot of pages of messages here before i joined and the brake problem answers are all over the page. guess i thought the brake fluid change was supposed to be last and best problem fixer.

love my ultra; ive had a lot of harleys and will be a sad day when i cant ride any more. i dont make the long runs any more but still like to get out some. some day ill be singin i use to be a harley man now im just an rv man but not jsut yet cycles are differnt then coaches but i got to say that all the bikes ive had i never changed any of the brake fluids but like i say rvs are differnt animal
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
rjw

With help from some friends,we pull off my front brakes.Two of my pins was pack full of grease[had pins lube at a truck-RV repaired center].We clean and polish the pins and the slipper plates[the slipper plates was very rusty].Lube the pins with car-quest hi-temp no-size lubricant.Replace the brake fluid with castrol LMA brake fluid.The brake fluid i took out was dirty from one trip from which the front brakes hung.Plan on not letting the motor home set very long again.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One comment on this thread.. I've purchased several cars that were "Road Kill" what I mean is they were towed in by order of the police and never redeemed from impound... usually, back then it took six to 18 months or more for the police around here to sell at auction or pass title to the towing company.. EVERY TIME I had to do a brake job including in most cases a master cylinder.

EVERY TIME

NO EXCEPTIONS

Just so you know.

Vehicles like to be driven. they do not like sitting around.. they like being driven.