Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

W22 Dash Air Hot

I have the "intemittent" dash air blows hot issue as I have seen others describe as caused by the Evans tempcon valve. I have traced the coolant lines from the heater core connection to the engine and the radiator and cannot locate this valve. The A/C system is a Denso. The coach is a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind 35R. If it doesn't have this valve can anyone tell me what type of control switches the unit from A/C mode to Heat? Sometimes the A/C runs nice and cold and then other times it seems to run hot. Mystified!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the club! My '01 has had the same problem since day one.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My '04 P32 is like that too. However, as long as I'm moving it stays pretty cool, not 'freeze you out' cold but acceptable.
Stop & Go traffic, I may as well turn it off and put the window down, it's useless withoiut air blowing thru it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Run it on Max Air so you don't draw "Hot Engine Air" via the air box intakes. Also Check the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page.

Evans Valve

Air Intakes
Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies and Friendly Welcome! Trust Me - I've spent days researching other posts on this. They all point to the Evasn valve, BUT I am not locating such a valve on this coach. AS I stated I have followed the coolant lines from the heater core connections to the engine and to the radiator - there is no valve in either line. This leads me to believe some other system is being used to cut off the flow or reroute the air flow. Does anyone have any ideas? Mine is very intermittent - sometimes it works great, other times it's as if the heater is running. My control for the A/C is a push button. I've pushed it onand off many times when it isn't working and it doesn't change anything. Still Mystified.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschoon1 View Post
Thanks for your replies and Friendly Welcome! Trust Me - I've spent days researching other posts on this. They all point to the Evasn valve, BUT I am not locating such a valve on this coach. AS I stated I have followed the coolant lines from the heater core connections to the engine and to the radiator - there is no valve in either line. This leads me to believe some other system is being used to cut off the flow or reroute the air flow. Does anyone have any ideas? Mine is very intermittent - sometimes it works great, other times it's as if the heater is running. My control for the A/C is a push button. I've pushed it onand off many times when it isn't working and it doesn't change anything. Still Mystified.
Mine did the same thing. It took me forever to find out the vac lines were defected. As soon as I replaced them it worked great. BTW I replaced the blue and green because they had very,very small cracks(dryrot) in them . I dont know if this is your problem but it fixed mine. ps the vac lines I replaced ran back to the dash switch.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #7

Thanks for that info - that just may be it. I'm in AZ and dry rot could definitely be an issue. It seems as if this A/C unit doesn't have the shut off valve in the coolant lines. It must just redirect the airflow by clsoing a panel or somethng and that must be where the vacuum lines come in. I'll check it out - thatnks for the info.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #8

JDSR - did you just use same diameter lines or did you have to purchase specific replacments?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschoon1 View Post
JDSR - did you just use same diameter lines or did you have to purchase specific replacments?
I took the old line to a local auto parts store and we matched it up. Old line was plastic but I replaced with rubber. It worked for me. I fought that problem for the longest time. Even had ac guys try to fix it with no luck. Im not sure how I found out about the vac line could cause my problem(probly right here) But It fix mine. Good luck
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Looking at the above picture you will note the air intake is located in the engine compartment. When the engine is running, the hot air is sucked into the box and thus tempers the cold air with the hot.
By operating in the MAX air position the cold air circulates in the cabin area and does not draw in the heated air.
It would be nice to add a duct from the air intake down to a lower area to avoid sucking in the heated air.
For the present when you are in traffic run in MAX, on the road you can use Normal
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
It would be nice to add a duct from the air intake down to a lower area to avoid sucking in the heated air.
DC,

This is on my project list.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
Looking at the above picture you will note the air intake is located in the engine compartment. When the engine is running, the hot air is sucked into the box and thus tempers the cold air with the hot.
By operating in the MAX air position the cold air circulates in the cabin area and does not draw in the heated air.
For the present when you are in traffic run in MAX, on the road you can use Normal
In the Southwest US in the Summer there is no cool air inside the cabin or outside!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I, too, learned early on to just change the setting to MAX A/C. Works well for us!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was changing to max ac when I was stopped or in traffic untill I found this problem. The hoses looked fine but as soon as I handled them the cracks showed. I couldnt understand how other mhs and veh I drove didnt need to switch to max ac when stopped or in traffic. Since I replaced the hoses I never have to switch to max while stopped now and I live in the south. I dont know , maybe I got lucky. It cost me all of 5.00 to fix mine. good luck with yours