Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

W22 Vehicle Dash A/C Issue

I've noticed a couple of things regarding the vehicle dash air conditioning on my new to me Itasca Suncruiser 2002 35U. I have the Workhorse W22 chassis.

1. The regular A/C setting on the control knob seems cooler than the Max A/C setting.

2. I'm getting cool air from the dash vents but warm air from the vents under the dash. Note: This doesn't seem to be constant but periodic.

I recently had the A/C serviced but it was cold outside at the time so I really wasn't able to use it until now.

Before I start looking for things, I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas or experience with this.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Any heat could be that the heater core valve isn't closing fully and the heater is fighting the A/C. Grab the heater hoses as the go into the plenum and see if they are hot. With the valve closed, there should be very little or no heat in both hoses. The valve might need replacement or adjustment, many folks just put a ball valve in the heater hose and shut it off for summer.

All the doors that divert air to the floor, dash and defrost vents are vacuum operated. If a vacuum line is leaking or disconnected, all air is sent to the defrost vents. Check that the door that controls the Max setting, causing the outside air to be shut off, is operating. Recirculate just keeps using inside air and should be colder and dryer on A/C. You could test with something that creates an odor outside and check if the odor comes into the dash vents.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #4

I was having issues with our AC n a 2007 w16 chassis where the air was cooler on regular vs max and neither was very cool. Had it looked at and all they did was add coolant it helped but not much so I started looking into more myself. What I ended up finding was while the fan on the front of the condenser was spinning, it wasn’t spinning very fast. Pulled the fan off to check out and found that the small roll pin through the shaft of the motor had rusted away and this pin is what engages the fan to turn it. In the driveway, which the AC engaged, the fan would spin just from friction on the shaft but when I simulated air flow through the grill with an air hose, the fan would slip back on the shaft against the condenser and stop turning but the motor would continue to spin. The hub of the fan was wallowed out so I ended up finding a Hayden fan that fit in perfect and the AC was working correctly after that. Something you might check into.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
I was having issues with our AC n a 2007 w16 chassis where the air was cooler on regular vs max and neither was very cool. Had it looked at and all they did was add coolant it helped but not much so I started looking into more myself. What I ended up finding was while the fan on the front of the condenser was spinning, it wasn’t spinning very fast. Pulled the fan off to check out and found that the small roll pin through the shaft of the motor had rusted away and this pin is what engages the fan to turn it. In the driveway, which the AC engaged, the fan would spin just from friction on the shaft but when I simulated air flow through the grill with an air hose, the fan would slip back on the shaft against the condenser and stop turning but the motor would continue to spin. The hub of the fan was wallowed out so I ended up finding a Hayden fan that fit in perfect and the AC was working correctly after that. Something you might check into.
Thanks, but I don't think that's my problem but it may help someone else. I checked the air coming out of my vents on regular A/C and it's very cold (under 50 degrees pointing a laser thermometer into the vents). On max A/C it's still cold but not as cold. I just realized that I checked regular first so I'm probably not getting an accurate reading for max A/C. I'll check it first tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most people do not understand MAX AIR.
Most vehicle air conditioners. and the Evans system on the Workhorse is no different suck a mix of air from INSIDE and OUTSIDE the vehicle.
On my car I have a selector to choose "Fresh" o Recirculated"

On many the effect of the MAX air is to cut off the fresh air intake and suck ONLY recirculated air.

The warm air you are feeling on your feet suggests you have a air gap letting outside or perhaps even engine heated air (Via radiator) into the coach, you need to find and PLUG this leak. THis is also why the outflow is warmer on MAX. it's sucking that same air
Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #7

Thanks, wa8xym, this is helpful.

Tags
dash, w22