RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
W24, 8.1 engine - 4 power failures

I experienced four engine power failures recently while towing with my 2007 Itasca, W24 with 8.1 engine. VIN: 5B4MPA7G073421799, mileage 85333. I changed the air filter and checked/cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor connector after the first two failures while on the road and everything worked great. I thought I had solved the problem but two weeks ago, while towing our HHR, the same problem reoccurred two more times. My VEEPEAK diagnostic indicated trouble code P2101 (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Range/performance problem). After each engine failure, I was able to coast over to the shoulder, wait 2 mins., restart and continue as if nothing was wrong.

Since I have been home, I replaced the Mass Airflow Senor (MAF) as I had already purchased a replacement. However not sure if I have corrected the actual problem. Is it possible to get trouble code P2101 as a result of a faulty MAF?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
No.. Replace the TAC module.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-12588924.html
Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to OEMTECH & CJ7365 for the responses. My 2007 Itasca has the W24 chassis with 6 speed allison transmission:

Q: Any suggestions where I can find the TAC on my rig? The chassis was built in late 2006 but registered as an 2007.

The GM Part number suggested did not fit with my SIN number noted above.

I appreciate the help.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Look under the dash on left side of the steering column. Look for a square looking box with connectors.

If you remove it you can get part #'s off or call Jon at Ultra RV Products and give himm your vin #.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Website for Ultra RV for TAC and picture where it is located

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Work...ol-(TAC-Module)
Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info. I only have access to my RV Mon. to Fri. I will report any progress next week regarding location and removal of TAC.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have removed the throttle actuator control module and confirmed the Part #12588924.

CJ7365, Have you ever had a problem ordering from GMPartsGiant.com?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
I have removed the throttle actuator control module and confirmed the Part #12588924.

CJ7365, Have you ever had a problem ordering from GMPartsGiant.com?
Not at all, I have ordered a few items before from them.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CJ7365. Thanks. GMPartsGiant.com seems to have the best prices but not worth the savings if parts are not OEM new as advertised. I will follow up with results once part received/installed.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #11

If the TAC module doesn't fix the problem, just a thought. I had a Saturn that had a continuing problem with the Mass Airflow Sensor, went through MAS sensors about every 3 to 6 months for about two years. I had purchased after market from Autozone. They kept replacing for free, but it was a pain. A friend of mine, an avid GM mechanic convinced me to buy the OEM part from GM. He said the after market MAS wasn't any good. I broke down and purchased the OEM part for about three times the cost of the after market part. Not another problem with it in the remaining 4 years we owned the car. Just a thought . . . are you buying the MAS' from GM?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool

I purchased a MAF sensor from Lordco Auto Parts, Vancouver area, BC. They assured me it was an OEM part. However, they wanted my used, original MAF at time of purchase. I suspect my replacement is actually a rebuilt/refurbished OEM part, not brand new. So far, it appears to be fine.

I spoke to somebody at gmpartsgiant.com on the phone and they confirmed that the GM parts are brand new and not rebuilt. However, due to a strike at GM, parts are not available.

I have been buying parts from different dealers for very long time and it never ceases to amaze me at the range of pricing. As an end consumer, we pay the highest price which I think is double wholesale. I have noted online a high of $360 and a low of $180 usd for a new OEM TAC module. If both parts are OEM, obviously the lower price is more appealing for the DIY owner. However, I agree with Hit-the-Rhod that the only way to be sure that the part is OEM is to buy it from a dealer.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have learned that when looking for OEM parts online, it will say on there webpage if the part is OEM. Obviously there are some shady websites out there, and you still have recourse through your Credit Card, if the company does not accept a return or there is some kind of deception.

I understand that most people assume that by going to the dealer you are getting the best product and service. I disagree, although yes the dealer uses OEM parts, there is a substantial markup. Service, well thats a whole other story. The dealer is the LAST place I will shop or get repairs.

Alot of time you are just paying for that name AC Delco, do people believe that AC Delco has a factory that makes all these parts?

For instance the MAF sensor, Delphi is a well know brands for sensors, I have no problem buying a Delphi MAF sensor for $50 cheaper than the AC Delco.

Delphi also says that is does not sell re manufactured parts, so you are getting that part new and not rebuilt.

You can get OEM parts without going to the dealer, just do your homework, and buy it with a credit card so you have recourse.

Also Amazon has alot of OEM parts, AC Delco
Old 10-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
For instance the MAF sensor, Delphi is a well know brands for sensors, I have no problem buying a Delphi MAF sensor for $50 cheaper than the AC Delco.

Delphi also says that is does not sell re manufactured parts, so you are getting that part new and not rebuilt.

You can get OEM parts without going to the dealer, just do your homework, and buy it with a credit card so you have recourse.

Also Amazon has alot of OEM parts, AC Delco

Lots of websites who advertise "OEM", if you read the fine print, actually claim that the part "meets or exceeds OEM specs" . . . and then say that you have to send in your old part . . .

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, power