Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

w24 in 2008 winnie adventurer

Guys
here i go again, thought i was set on my first Class, now back to question and answer after a visit to Alpen HAUS. fOUND A 2008 35l ADVENTURER on a w24 chassis. Has 1700 miles, husband died, wife couldnt handle it, cherry looking inside. My wife happy with floor plan etc, I want DP but realize being rv poor is not the way to retire. Drove the unit, was ok, little rocky rolly side to side, but nature of the beast, quiet ride, was warned front gas is noisy, not to me. So, big question, is the chassis good or not. does not appear to be part of brake recall, has 3700# ccc, that should be enought for what we ill do. was looking at allegro fred and red, newmar, and this just appeared to be an option considering it is a used with no use. I am reseraching price (looks to be about $90,000), and try to make sure i dont get hurt too bad. I will post the same questions regarding the winnie adventurer on the winnebago forum. I am pre approved by bank on whatever i want and am ready to pull the trigger, but want to hit the bullseye
thanks
Gary CZ in NY
garycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #2

Gary: Look at the chassis vin #. If it starts with 5B4MPA, then it IS a W-24 and is NOT subject to the Bosch brake recall. The 10th digit counting from the left is the chassis year model.

IMO, you will not regret buying a W-24 and I'm a litttle surprised to see one under a 35 foot coach, but that only adds to your CCC. The low milage / usage probably means that the oil and filter need to be changed immediately, and the tires may not last as long as they "would have" if they had been used regularly, but I would not let that deter me....if the wife likes it-buy it. Sounds like a great "starter coach" to me! Ed
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spent months looking for a Monaco DP, I wanted that style chassis the bigger power of 400+ and in general what I thought the DP had. My wife and I flew out to California from Michigan with a one day notice to the air lines $$ with enough extra luggage $$ to load it with the basics.

Long story short the sale did not work out so while we were there it was time to look at coaches up close and personal, so the very first lot we went to and the second unit my wife looked at while I was still looking for one I wanted to go inside to see she found the one that we wanted all on her own. Not a Monaco, not a DP, but a 06 Pace arrow with the W24 chassis with 19000 mile on it.

Since it was not objectionable to me and it checked out OK it was a means to get back to and start the search over again.

Well in the months that followed since last September I've done some more looking and to tell you the truth despite what I knew I wanted I haven't found anything that I feel is worth the extra money to "upgrade" to and even though I still look on a weekly basis I've found her choice to be perfectly satisfactory and I'm thinking I'm going to pocket a bundle from the choice she made and stay with what I have.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary

If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycz View Post
Found A 2008 35L ADVENTURER on a W24 chassis. Has 1700 miles, want to hit the bullseye
I'm not so crazy about Alpin Haus BUT the rig you are describing is a gem in the rough. I would pull the trigger on that one.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
been happy with our Itasca on a W24--powertrain is pretty bullet proof & you can do your own maintenance if so inclined...limiting factor may be your toad since there is a 5K LB weight limit for towing on the big gas coaches...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #7

the W-24 provides a 24,000 GVWR and a 30,000 GCVWR- you do the math.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdutt View Post
.... limiting factor may be your toad since there is a 5K LB weight limit for towing on the big gas coaches...
txdutt, You are limited only by the rating of the hitch manufacturer. On my Winnie the Valley Hitch is only rated for 5K.

Nothing says that you can't up-rate the hitch and pull over 5,000 pounds with the W24 especially if you know the GVW of the vehicle. You can indeed pull up to 6,000 pounds or more if your receiver is rated for the weight and you do not exceed the 30k of GCWR.

For example, Blue Ox makes a 10,000 pound rated hitch for the UFO however you would only be able to tow up to the GCWR which is also 30,000 pounds. The W24 when properly equipped can tow 2,000 pounds more than the UFO.

Now all of that said, IF you only have 24,000 of stuff in the UFO, you can indeed tow up to 6,000 pounds. The formula therefore is constant at GVW+Toad weight = Not to exceed GCWR.

If your W24 is weighed at its UVW you can pull a Chevrolet Suburban if equipped with proper towing equipment.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the W-24. After I changed shocks, we love it. And that doesn't sound like too bad a price for a clean, low mileage 2008.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Gary, keep in mind the values you find on the internet are overstated. If you want the "True" values it will cost. Dealers use this guide when working the numbers.

NADA Appraisal Guides 2011 Recreation Vehicle Commercial Data Link at NADAguides.com

BTW I love the W24 chassis, it's too bad Winnie didn't offer the push button shifter.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #11

Fred
thanks, i will do my self the favor and buy the NADA guide. The one available on line to public just teases you with ball park numbers. As to the w-24 and adventurer, I guess that push button transmission was an option the may didnt buy, but he took care of that by getting all the other toys available!! We are doing some serious soul serching here and are probably going to pull the trigger this week. My current task is research flat tow hardware and break systems to see if i can get the dealer to "toss" them in with the deal. No toad yet, that will be later when we can research a southern used vehicle, with any luck a Mini Cooper!
Thanks for all the support out there
Gary
garycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycz View Post
As to the w-24 and adventurer, I guess that push button transmission was an option the may didn't buy, but he took care of that by getting all the other toys available!!
Gary, I have not seen a Winnebago with the Ahrens push button shifter. The shifter was available on the W24 National Breeze LX that I test drove and it's a nice feature.

These options are all available as a SKU which as listed as SPIDs (service part ID) in the WCC catalog. The trick in in getting the OEM to opt to buy the feature which in many cases if the OE can get by by spending less that's what they would typically choose to do.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We acquired our 08 Dolphin, 36+feet. 2 slides, 8.1GM, W-24 w/Allison Pushbutton Tranny, 6,000 miles last May, price was in the 70's.
The Dolphin was one of the high end gas rigs in 08, very well optioned.
You should be able to do alot better on that 90,s asking price. JMHO.