Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of mods can I expect to make to the suspension to make it dirve right? I'm looking at a 38' Bounder (08). Personally I wish the chassis mfg. would get together with the coach builders so all this guessing could be eliminated. It gets pretty expensive doing these mods and some may not even be needed. After all the engineers at the plant get paid to do this. I may be whining a bit but after you pay what you do for these rigs they should be set to go right out of the gate in my opinion.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of mods can I expect to make to the suspension to make it dirve right? I'm looking at a 38' Bounder (08). Personally I wish the chassis mfg. would get together with the coach builders so all this guessing could be eliminated. It gets pretty expensive doing these mods and some may not even be needed. After all the engineers at the plant get paid to do this. I may be whining a bit but after you pay what you do for these rigs they should be set to go right out of the gate in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Steve & Sal;

You're asking the question; "If I go into the desert, what type of water should I drink?"

There isn't a logical answer to your question. I suggest you take delivery and take proactive steps to assure that your motorhome is properly aligned, weighed and tires aired up. After about 3 to 5,000 miles, evaluate how your driving experience meets your expectations and then we can make recommendations based on need.

Anyone at this point suggesting you need to throw money at a 2008 motorhome that you haven't taken delivery of should have their head examined.

How's that?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have needed no mods to my W24. Most I've spoken to, have also needed none.

But, I have seen a few W24 owners on this forum and some others that have added a few mods.

I suggest, before doing any mods, weigh the loaded coach and adjust your tire pressures to the tire manufacturers load/pressure tables. If you still have problems have the front end alignment checked. Still problems consider chassis add ons starting with a rear sway control bar.

Some have had their ECM reprogrammed for more power and Brazels, a major support of iRV2, is highly recommend for that. This will add little or no increase in fuel mileage but it will noticeably increase power.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver and Tom N i like your response. I guess we just have to finalize the deal and bring it home.
Tom, how does the W24 ride. Just curious.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve N Sal:
What kind of mods can I expect to make to the suspension to make it dirve right?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have owned other motorhomes, NONE. If this is your first.....well....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #7

Guys, Please keep in mind, the steering was changed for the 2007 chassis, along with some other very good changes.

here are a couple of threads--the OP may have experienced the same problem as these guys, including me.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8626012545/m/...011053704#9011053704
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8626012545/m/1391077234/p/1

Obviously, there are things which need to be checked, adjusted, aligned and then added, etc. The dealer needs to send the rig to a WH shop.

If you haven't singed on the line, don't!! UNTIL you are satisfied with the driveability. Once it is yours, you have no leverage. Been there, done that!!!

hth, ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rondi:
Guys, Please keep in mind, the steering was changed for the 2007 chassis, along with some other very good changes.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not aware of these W24 chassis changes in 2007. What exactly where they?? What was the steering change??

-Tom

Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve N Sal:
Tom, how does the W24 ride. Just curious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My W24 rides very well. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it's a characteristic of my model.

The ride can be drastically changed by changing tire pressures. Tire pressures should always be set according to the actual weighed coach weight.

-Tom
on the road for 6 months in 2 weeks

weighed fully loaded for a winter in FL

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #10

Tom, DriVer can provide more details, but from the W24 current spec sheet:

Steering
50ΒΊ Wheel Cut Angle
ZF Variable Ratio Steering Gear
Ratio: 15.7-18.5

ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rondi:
Tom, DriVer can provide more details, but from the W24 current spec sheet:

Steering
50ΒΊ Wheel Cut Angle
ZF Variable Ratio Steering Gear
Ratio: 15.7-18.5

ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These specs are the same for the W20/W22. They were instituted January 6, 2004.

-Tom

Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I took the 38P for a spin today. As mentioned here the front end does feel very light to me. Not a comfortable feeling. It only had 1/4 tank gas and obviously no water. What happens when just those two items are full? For a new coach (562 Miles) I could not believe the creeks and groans out of the dash area. My 94 with 111K on it isn't anywhere near that loud. The engine noise in my opinion is also very loud when shifting up thru the gears. Oh well I guess I'll keep shopping.