Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
They upgraded mine to a park pawl in the transmission and manual park brake.
Can you please extend your remarks? I am wondering who might be the "they" that you wrote about and what exactly is your year, make and model.

Would you also be suggesting that "they" replaced your transmission giving you a park pawl or was the existing transmission disassembled and a parking pawl fitted?

Thanks ..

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #16

Commercial Member

J71 vs J72

I know some parts are no longer available for the J72 system. Hopefully this helps with some of the questions about the two auto park brake systems.

-J71-
-This system uses a tried and true brake, the "Drum Brake" mounted on the rear of the transmission.
-This Drum Brake is applied and released by a remote actuator.
-This actuator's job is to pull the cable that applies the drum brake.
-This actuator operates the brake in this manner, when the spring is not collapsed by hydraulic pressure, the brake is applied by the spring expanding pulling on the cable.
-This system uses a 12 volt DC pump to produce the hydraulic pressure needed to release the park brake.
-This system is controlled by simple 12 volt + and - inputs.

-J72-
-This system uses a self contained brake and actuator mounted on the back of the transmission.
-This brake operates much like a clutch in a manual transmission.
-This brake has clutch material that is engaged by a "belleville spring".
-This brake is released by filling a cavity in the brake with hydraulic pressure produced by a 12 volt DC pump. This pressure collapses the spring and releases the brake.
-This brake that is mounted on the rear of the transmission and has no serviceable parts inside to my knowledge. (This brake has to be replaced if it applies while the coach is in motion.) EXPENSIVE!
-This brake is controlled by a computer module that has various inputs from things like vehicle speed. (This is mounted under the pump)
-This system has been known to apply the brake for no apparent reason then will work just fine when it is trouble shot by the servicing facility.(This has been attributed to the computer module, this is no longer available).

Brazel's has an alternative replacement for the failed module so you can get your coach on the road if you are stuck.

Also I recommend anyone with the J72 system gets a UltraSave installed so you are not buying a new brake if yours tries to apply while driving.

I will be happy to answer any other questions about the J72 system.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Can you please extend your remarks? I am wondering who might be the "they" that you wrote about and what exactly is your year, make and model.

Would you also be suggesting that "they" replaced your transmission giving you a park pawl or was the existing transmission disassembled and a parking pawl fitted?

Thanks ..

DriVer, My late brothers motorhome was a 2001 Terra, it was made on a Workhorse P chassis with 8.1 engine and GM 4 speed overdrive transmission. It was equipped with a parking pawl, and had the foot operated driveshaft drum parking brake. I don't know the GVW of the rig but it had no slides, and was 31 foot long with 19.5 wheels. I was just curious as to if maybe there was a weight limitation requirement for the installation of the AAPB. I know his was pretty lightweight, and with the 8.1, was a real rocket ship compared to my 2004 W-22.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I was just curious as to if maybe there was a weight limitation requirement for the installation of the AAPB. I know his was pretty lightweight, and with the 8.1, was a real rocket ship compared to my 2004 W-22.
Vehicles that were rated for 16K GVWR and above in 2001 were equipped with the 4L80E GM 4Sp and the documentation shows that they were equipped with AAPB.

Vehicles in 2001 that were rated for 12,300, 14,800 & 15,000 GVWR did have a parking pawl. At that time, the 8.1L engine, the 5.7L engine & the 6.5L TD were available and used the 4L80E GM 4sp. A Terra would fall into one of the lighter weight GVWRs.

To answer your question, in the early years, it did depend on GVWR.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #19

I had my factory park brake replaced by Alan at Brazel,s after it failed. Did quite a bit of resource on the sys. and found the parts next to impossible to find, used or new. What I found is it has a high failure rate and quite expensive to repair if one found the parts. My failure was due to computer failure which toke out the brake on the end of the trans. The whole problem could have been eliminated by using the right trans,which was put into service in 2006. Mine was the first replacement put on a w24 by Brazel,s. Had one problem with the replacement as a air line blow out in a spot you would not think of. They repaired the line and routed it in a differant location. Yes its spendy, But trying to find parts, and if you do, are quite costly, and you still have the same sym. I have the brake hub off the trans and will take it apart this winter when I get to Az.
Barski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
DriVer,
They were Freightliner. I have a FRED chassis 2008 model year. The removed the rear cover of the Allison transmission and installed a park pawl. Then a drum and shoe style drive line park brake.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I have gone through a failure of this system. There are parts for it that are no longer available. This is one way to obsolete this brake system. Mine was on a Freightliner chassis. They upgraded mine to a park pawl in the transmission and manual park brake.
Must have been an Allison transmission for this type of upgrade, which eventually came with a pawl and foot brake. Not sure when with the WH W24 chassis, but our friends have one in an 07 model.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Not sure when with the WH W24 chassis, but our friends have one in an 07 model.
The feature was released in 2006 when the 6 speed Allison transmission became available.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #23

Quote:
I have gone through a failure of this system. There are parts for it that are no longer available. This is one way to obsolete this brake system. Mine was on a Freightliner chassis. They upgraded mine to a park pawl in the transmission and manual park brake.
please can you tell me more about changing to manual park brake and park pawl in the trany? Thank You John
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sanders View Post

Also I recommend anyone with the J72 system gets a UltraSave installed so you are not buying a new brake if yours tries to apply while driving.

I will be happy to answer any other questions about the J72 system.
For us Florida residents is there a place here that has experience installing the UltaSave? Any forum members that have had this installed somewhere in Florida? How difficult would the install be for a DIY project?

I've had problems with the J71 on a previous coach and it sounds like this one is more difficult and expensive. Thanks to OldusedBear with J71 was one of my easier fixes. I don't want to deal with a failure of J72 if it can be averted.
Floridakamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
For us Florida residents is there a place here that has experience installing the UltaSave? Any forum members that have had this installed somewhere in Florida? How difficult would the install be for a DIY project?
Alliance Coach of Wildwood, FL is a Brazel's RV Performance Center distributor and installer. Try those folks out, they do excellent work and are a Workhorse Authorized Service Center. They will know your W24.

Alliance Coach Service
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver, I saw that on Brazel's website but it also had the products they were a dealer for, like Ultra trac. I didn't see UltraSave listed for any in the Dealer Network. I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone try their first installation on my coach, other than possibly me.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Thanks Driver, I saw that on Brazel's website but it also had the products they were a dealer for, like Ultra trac. I didn't see UltraSave listed for any in the Dealer Network. I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone try their first installation on my coach, other than possibly me.
I'm sure they can do Ultra whatever. I tackled an UltraPower Grade brake on my own and was the 1st person to do one outside of Centralia, WA.

Call Jon at Brazel's and see if he concurs with my assessment. If not, you can make a better judgment call by having the best information from the supplier.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver. I see the installation directions on Brazel's website. It's great to have a company like them being active participants in this forum.