Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
W24 Park Brake Failure

Tuesday while leaving Las Vegas on interstate running about 62mph the coach felt like engine quit and coach started slowing. when I looked at dash the brake failure light(also indicates park brake operation) and auto park light were on and there was a noticable brake drag.

I was in middle lane and and was able to get to right but no where to pull off except exit ramp about 300 yrds ahead. As I got to ramp the auto park lights would flash off and on, each time the brake seemed grab hard. By the time I got to top of ramp and was able to safely stop, ther was brake burning smell. I put coach in park applied the park brake lever and shut off engine, but the park brake did not hold, had to block wheels.

After 20 min, consulting with Coachnet tech, I started engine and park brake lights were out, but park brake would not hold. Coachnet contacted Workhorse dealer they recommended (Fairway Chev) but they could not take coach until today. I drove the coach there and it drove normal no noticable brake drag and auto park lights did not come on.

After checking coach they told me rear brake pads look burnt almost melted,must be replaced and auto park brake drum looks as if it was overheated and would probally needs lining to be replaced, but they have no clue to why park brake came on and don't know what to look for.

Service writer says they are waiting on a return call from Workhorse for tech help and where to look.

Can anyone on forum offer any advise on what to look for as cause?

2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
av42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by av42 View Post
Can anyone on forum offer any advise on what to look for as cause?
av42, You have a J72 auto apply brake system. I can't say what would have caused your AAPB to come on however what you are describing is a rare event for a J72 and I would not be too surprised that the techs are scratching their head. I'd wait for the RSM to call back with what he has to offer about this issue.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
av42, I also have a 2005 w-24 chassis and about a year ago I experienced a rear brake problem. The rear ABS sensors were found to be bad (1 was melted !!) The tech could not find a real reason for the failure. I had them flush the brake fluid and they replaced the two bad sensors. I did not have the auto park problem and sorry to hear about that. Fairway has been around in Vegas a long time. Good luck and let us know what they found.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
W24 Park Brake

The Wh repair center released the coach last night, stating they could not find a problem with the auto park, and that with the tests they performed including checking for failure codes they could not recreate the evvent that occured with the sudden locking of the brake. They said that they finally got a call back from Workhorse tech, but they could not offer any suggestions other than what they had already done. They said the only problem they could find on the coach is it needs rear brakes, but it will take a week to get the pads.

Although service said their tech says park brake holding normal, i don't think it is. If I put coach in drive and leave park brake lever applied and apply power the coach will move. This was not the case before the event with the systen occurred.

I am going to have the workhorse center in my next destination check coach, I used them last year and they are very good.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Just for grins try Oldusedbear and see if he can shed any light on it. He is the J71 expert and may have some info on the J72 that the techs don't.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Just for grins try Oldusedbear and see if he can shed any light on it. He is the J71 expert and may have some info on the J72 that the techs don't.
OUB has recently posted that he is NOT a J72 person. I would not expect too much from the Bear in this regard.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Possible Cause W24 Park Brake Event

When we were preparing to leave campground coach would not start, total lack of 12v power to dash and starter. Checked battery full charge. Furthur checking found no power coming out of 12v batt cut off switch. when I tried to turn switch knob came off and whole assembly fell apart.

It appears that a storage bin in the compartment where the switch is located may have fell against it and cracked the housing.

If this switch was failing and caused a momentary loss of 12v, is it possible that caused the engine to momentary lose power and shut off like I indicated in my initial post?

Acording to the workhorse owners manual if the engine shuts off it can cause the auto park come on. According to the Wh. dealer they could find no problem and they had checked for engine codes.

If there was a power failure would that show up on codes?

I changed the switch (bought at a local marine store) and drove over 300 miles with no other problem other than auto park no longer holds properly.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #8

I think that you have found the problem. If the battery became disconnected while driving there may have been open circuit voltage from the alternator. Based on my experience, (mechanic for 35 years) this condition can cause all kinds of strange things to happen.
As far as codes setting, I would certainly check, record and clear them if they exist.
I know a few things about the J72 Auto Park System, having one on my coach.
The pump assembly mounted on the bulkhead next to the radiator must maintain around 1500 psi to the brake drum assembly mounted on the back of the transmission. The pressure holds the brake off. There is a computer that controls this system. If the pressure drops the pump will run to restore it.
If the system voltage went high or low, the system may have responded in the way you experienced.
Good Luck to you.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Have you had a repeat failure since your last post?
Alan Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sanders View Post
If your question is to the OP, I doubt you will get a reply because they last posted on irv2 over two years ago., and that was in this thread.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Loss of 12vdc will apply the J71 AP and I would imagine the J72 as well for it to be fail safe.
I think the J72 uses a disk caliper and rotor on the drive shaft and there lies the problem or I would think so. Pads could be worn or glazed badly and certainly deserves further inspection.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sanders View Post
Alan! Nice to see you on-board and posting in this forum!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
OUB has recently posted that he is NOT a J72 person. I would not expect too much from the Bear in this regard.
OUB is not the expert on the J72 but he may have some info to share.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I have gone through a failure of this system. There are parts for it that are no longer available. This is one way to obsolete this brake system. Mine was on a Freightliner chassis. They upgraded mine to a park pawl in the transmission and manual park brake.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote