Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
I recently purchased a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38J with 13K miles on it. I have driven it about 300 miles so far and am not thrilled with the handling. It has a small play in the steering wheel which causes you to constantly correct the steering. At about 60 mph this requires total consentration and no relaxation. The dealer says this should be a problem and maybe its me not being relaxed. I'm taking it to Workhorse to have them look at it.

Anyone else experience this?
LeeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
I recently purchased a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38J with 13K miles on it. I have driven it about 300 miles so far and am not thrilled with the handling. It has a small play in the steering wheel which causes you to constantly correct the steering. At about 60 mph this requires total consentration and no relaxation. The dealer says this should be a problem and maybe its me not being relaxed. I'm taking it to Workhorse to have them look at it.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
This is a problem on some coaches depending on design and layout. Some are butt heavy, some are nose heavy, some are stretched and some are shorten. In most cases a rear trac bar and either Steer Safe or Safeti Plus fixes the problem. On some it takes a front trac in addition to the rear trac bar.

But, before you start throwing parts at it have the four corners weighed (in road trim) so you can adjust the tire pressures. Next have the front end checked/aligned by a good shop. You may need caster shims.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #4

I've got the same problem with a 2005 W22 under a 2006 Allegro Bay 37DB. Initially I was freaked out as my former F53 Ford chassis handled great. After a year and 5000+ miles with the W22, I'm getting used to it. It has always had a great ride and a low noise level.
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
paz

We had the same problem as wazone 2 with our 2005 Allegro Bay 37DB except it's on a W24. Alignment was to specs, although that was checked before I had read about increasing the caster. The caster is fixed and can only be adjusted by adding shims. I think a major contributor to the problem is a long rear overhang on the 37DB (and probably on LeonB's 38J) and a heavy rear. Our rear is near the weight limit even with the higher weight capacity of the W24 rear axle. I fixed our wandering problem by adding a Henderson rear track bar. It's pretty steady now.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have basically the same coach. Mine handles fine with no mods.

What air pressure are you carrying in your tires???

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Tom N.

I lowered the front wheel tire pressure from close to 100 down to 92. This made a big difference with the handling. What do you run with?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #8
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeonB:
Tom N.

I lowered the front wheel tire pressure from close to 100 down to 92. This made a big difference with the handling. What do you run with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LeonB, do you know what your weights are? If you don't know it would probably be a good it to have the coach weighed to make sure the 92 psi is sufficient for how you have your motorhome loaded. Don't go by what pressures someone else is using. IMO, the best is to get all 4 corners weighed individually; but at the VERY LEAST you should get individual axle weights.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeonB:
Tom N.

I lowered the front wheel tire pressure from close to 100 down to 92. This made a big difference with the handling. What do you run with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lee;

Currently I'm using 95#s in the front and 90#s in the rear. I set pressure on the 5s. 85, 90, 95, etc. as the load charts do.

95# in the front will support 8600#.
90# in the rear will support 15060#.

Max front axle rating is 9000#.
Max axle rating rear is 15500#.

I had my coach weighed last Fall. Weight was 22,720#s with my wife and I in the coach, full water, propane, gas and all our stuff for 6 months in FL.

On our way to FL in 3 weeks I'm have each axle weighed.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
LeonB,

From new our 38R had steering action just as you describe. This was finally solved by adding 3 degrees of shim to the caster adjustment. Normally, caster is not an adjustment but WorkHorse and Winnebago worked together to solve my steering problem.

Why my coach came from the factory with only 2 degrees of caster instead of the standard 5 degrees is anybody's guess. Bottom line - it was paid by WH.

If you get a front end alignment be sure to get a printout of all the parameters to document your case.

Tire pressures are critical to handling but I just wanted to make you aware there are other possibilities too.

Frank F.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
LeonB,

This was finally solved by adding 3 degrees of shim to the caster adjustment. Normally, caster is not an adjustment but WorkHorse and Winnebago worked together to solve my steering problem.

Why my coach came from the factory with only 2 degrees of caster instead of the standard 5 degrees is anybody's guess. Bottom line - it was paid by WH.

Frank F. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also changed my caster to just slightly over 5 degrees on my alignment shop's advice. They told me the caster from WH is normally 3.5 degree on my 05 W24 chassis and WH is OK'ing a move to 5 degree's +/-a few tenths. The alignment shop said that seems to be the best first choice thing to do when addressing handeling problems. Sure helped me.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FreshAir:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
LeonB,

This was finally solved by adding 3 degrees of shim to the caster adjustment. Normally, caster is not an adjustment but WorkHorse and Winnebago worked together to solve my steering problem.

Frank F. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also changed my caster to just slightly over 5 degrees on my alignment shop's advice. They told me the caster from WH is normally 3.5 degree on my 05 W24 chassis and WH is OK'ing a move to 5 degree's +/-a few tenths. The alignment shop said that seems to be the best first choice thing to do when addressing handeling problems. Sure helped me.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone know what degree of caster is supposed to be stock? Is it 2, 3, 4, 5 or somewhere in between?

Is this something the alignment shop will recommend or does it have to come from Workhorse? How do you find a truck center that does wheel alignments for motorhomes? There are a few truck centers that do alignment, but have very little experience with motorhomes.

Thanks
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phantomiz:
Is this something the alignment shop will recommend or does it have to come from Workhorse? How do you find a truck center that does wheel alignments for motorhomes? There are a few truck centers that do alignment, but have very little experience with motorhomes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't believe that WCC will cover the cost of an alignment especially if the coach is not taken to them first.

You can have the alignment done on your dime and perhaps this may be the most expeditious way to go.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phantomiz:
Is this something the alignment shop will recommend or does it have to come from Workhorse? How do you find a truck center that does wheel alignments for motorhomes? There are a few truck centers that do alignment, but have very little experience with motorhomes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't believe that WCC will cover the cost of an alignment especially if the coach is not taken to them first.

You can have the alignment done on your dime and perhaps this may be the most expeditious way to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I first purchased, this handling/steering problem was brought to my dealers attention. I dropped the motorhome off at the dealer (WCC) and they in turn took it to a truck service center for the wheel alignment as they don't have the facilities to do this. No cost, but then again, I don't trust the fact that it was done at all (no receipts).

I've got no problem with paying for something that is performed, but if the MH is taken to a truck center for wheel alignment, how do they know that 5 degrees is going to be better than say 2 or 3.5 degrees? Is this where they get on the phone with Workhorse to confirm?

Thanks
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote