Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

W24 with Allison 1000

I'm shopping for a MH and have found an 05 Adventurer on a W24 chassis. According to the Winnebago brochure it has the Allison 1000 transmission.
In 2006 Winnebago began installing the Allison 2100 in the W24's.

Should I be wary of the W24 with the Allison 1000 or is it up to the task?

Thanks,
Larry
lac0908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lac0908 View Post
I'm shopping for a MH and have found an 05 Adventurer on a W24 chassis. According to the Winnebago brochure it has the Allison 1000 transmission. In 2006 Winnebago began installing the Allison 2100 in the W24's. Should I be wary of the W24 with the Allison 1000 or is it up to the task?
Larry, It is NOT unusual for RV dealers to just stick a carrot in their marketing materials not knowing that it's an orange.

There have never been W-24 chassis built (AFAIK) that were equipped with LCT1000 or a MH1000 transmissions. A W-24 comes standard with the Allison MH2100 w/ 5 Speeds during the 2005 model year and subsequent, MH2100 transmission were equipped with 6-Speeds beginning in model 2006.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Same capacity in both. This is from the Allison manual--
( http://www.carolinathomas.com/wp-con...ors-manual.pdf )
WARNING: Operation with excessive loads can cause transmission damage and unexpected vehicle movement. To help avoid injury, property damage and/or transmission damage, do not exceed the following: • For 1000 PTS, 2100 PTS, and 2200 PTS transmission, do not exceed 11 800 kg (26,000 lb) GCW or the OEM vehicle rating, whichever is less.
So that's the Gross Combined Weight (includes RV and toad).
Here are a couple of more points to remember with your Allison from the manual---
CAUTION: Do not idle in R (Reverse) for more than five minutes. Extended idling in R (Reverse) can cause transmission overheating and damage. Always select P (Park) whenever time at idle exceeds five minutes.
CAUTION: Do not idle in D (Drive) or any forward range for more than five minutes. Extended idling in D (Drive) can cause transmission overheating and damage. Always select P (Park) whenever time at idle exceeds five minutes.
Happy shopping! I really like our W24 chassis.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Same capacity in both. This is from the Allison manual--
Can you please extend your comment. Although you are correct that all MH2100s have the same GVWR ratings, the ratings between a 1000 series transmission is limited to 26,000 GCWR whereas the 2100MH has a rating of 30,000 of GCWR. Likewise the 1000 has a GVW of 22,000 whereas the 2100 has a GVW of 24,000.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Can you please extend your comment. Although you are correct that all MH2100s have the same GVWR ratings, the ratings between a 1000 series transmission is limited to 26,000 GCWR whereas the 2100MH has a rating of 30,000 of GCWR. Likewise the 1000 has a GVW of 22,000 whereas the 2100 has a GVW of 24,000.
That info came from the Allison manual. Check the link I posted. 30,000 seems a bit high to me, just sayin'. See page 46.
Also see this link---
http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...).pdf?sfvrsn=2
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
That info came from the Allison manual. Check the link I posted. 30,000 seems a bit high to me, just sayin'. See page 46.
The WCC W-24 has a GVWR(Gross) of 24,000 pounds and a GCVWR(Combined) of 30,000 pounds. The GCVWR includes the 24K of the rig + 6K towed.

Workhorse provided the ratings on their chassis. It's also what an owner could expect to be covered for under the OE warranty from Workhorse.

Please refer to the 2006 Workhorse Gas MotorHome Chassis Guide, Page 11.
2005 W-24 GVWR 24,000 GAWRF 9,000 GAWRR 15,500 GCWR 30,000
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The WCC W-24 has a GVWR(Gross) of 24,000 pounds and a GCVWR(Combined) of 30,000 pounds. The GCVWR includes the 24K of the rig + 6K towed.

Workhorse provided the ratings on their chassis. It's also what an owner could expect to be covered for under the OE warranty from Workhorse.

Please refer to the 2006 Workhorse Gas MotorHome Chassis Guide, Page 11.
2005 W-24 GVWR 24,000 GAWRF 9,000 GAWRR 15,500 GCWR 30,000
I prefer to believe the manufacturer, rather than the sales pitch from some other place. Allison specifically states same 11.800 kg for GVW and GCW. We both know sales pitch reliability is doubtful at best!. I will keep my GCW under 26,000, or 11,800 kg., and my mind will be at peace. JMHO.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I prefer to believe the manufacturer, rather than the sales pitch from some other place. Allison specifically states same 11.800 kg for GVW and GCW. We both know sales pitch reliability is doubtful at best!. I will keep my GCW under 26,000, or 11,800 kg., and my mind will be at peace. JMHO.
You are the Captain of your ship. Whatever loading meets your objectives is just fine.

Workhorse bought separate components from, GM, Allison, Dana, Spicer, and other vendors, engineered the chassis to deliver on the ratings that they wanted to produce and hung a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty of the chassis.

Not a sales pitch, the vehicle is also (Federally) "titled" as having a 30,000 GCVWR and a 24,000 GVW. Go ahead and check. You may also want to check the weight placard on the wall of your motorhome.

The A in your VIN# 5B4MPA ... yields the same GCVWR as the W-25.5 however the GVW of the chassis differs by 1500 pounds.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You are the Captain of your ship. Whatever loading meets your objectives is just fine.

Workhorse bought separate components from, GM, Allison, Dana, Spicer, and other vendors, engineered the chassis to deliver on the ratings that they wanted to produce and hung a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty of the chassis.

Not a sales pitch, the vehicle is also (Federally) "titled" as having a 30,000 GCVWR and a 24,000 GVW. Go ahead and check. You may also want to check the weight placard on the wall of your motorhome.

The A in your VIN# 5B4MPA ... yields the same GCVWR as the W-25.5 however the GVW of the chassis differs by 1500 pounds.
I realize the Winnebago spec sheet says 30,000, but I'll stick with the 26,000 recommended by Allison. I do most of my MHing in the Pacific NW, and we have some nasty grades! When I worked for Peterbilt, we had reliability problems that were never seen in the rest of NA. 160,000 pounds GCW's and 10+ mile pulls of over 8%. Cat, Cummins, Eaton, and Rockwell all were scratching to keep their components together as the hp. and torque went up! Also the 30,000 mile warranty is pretty short compared to the 500,000 miles we had on major components. I spent lots of time with factory warranty reps, and they had to agree that we were in the most extreme "climate" for trucking. I know my MH is not a truck, but I like to treat it well, and it treats me well.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #10

Unplanned - here is the link to the MH series transmissions from Allison. On page 6 you can see that these (MH2100) have 26K GVW and 30K GCW. This aligns with the specs by Workhorse at the chassis level. Chassis manufacturers have to spec at the weakest link not the strongest. Your point about long steep grades is also valid as that is not normal conditions. Extreme conditions will build excess heat which destroys the oil which leads to damage of components.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...df?sfvrsn=4%20

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm shopping for a MH and have found an 05 Adventurer on a W24 chassis. According to the Winnebago brochure it has the Allison 1000 transmission.
In 2006 Winnebago began installing the Allison 2100 in the W24's.

Should I be wary of the W24 with the Allison 1000 or is it up to the task?

Thanks,
Larry
Don't bet your last nickel on a coach builder's brochure "specs" because they are known to contain mis-leading (incorrect) info when getting in to the finer points, especially regarding the chassis components.

Despite what you may have read above, as DriVer posted , the W-24 chassis has a 24,000 GVWR and a GCVWR of 30,000 pounds. ALL of them were equipped with the MH2000 series Allison trannies. The early W24 chassis got a 2100 tranny and the later model years got the "improved" 2350 version.

My ONLY concern about the 2005 model year W24 chassis is that it MAY be equipped with the J72 AAPB, which was discontinued in later model years. If you can provide the last eight (8) digits of the chassis vin #, either DriVer or I can check the build sheet to see if the one you are looking at has the J72. Other than the J72, the W-24 has proven to be the most trouble free of the WCC products, IMO. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan View Post
Your point about long steep grades is also valid as that is not normal conditions. Extreme conditions will build excess heat which destroys the oil which leads to damage of components.
Beginning in April 6,2005 all Allison Transmissions began using Transynd ATF. The maintenance interval is 4 years and or 100,000 miles. Castrol Transynd provides the following features:
. Excellent thermal and oxidation stability resists deposit formation
. High viscosity index synthetic base fluids provide superior high/low temperature performance
. Excellent shear stability for extended drain intervals and reduced used oil disposal costs
. Excellent corrosion resistance for longer equipment life Compatible with most other automotive transmission fluids and seals
. One fluid for year-round use in all geographic regions

In the 2006 Chassis Guide;
Automatic transmission fluid can provide up to 100,000 miles of service before oxidation occurs under normal operating temperatures between 175 to 180 degrees F. The recommended maximum temperature for 5-6 Speed automatics is 175-180 for petroleum base ATF. The properties and operating parameters for heat and wear tear using Transynd are dramatically improved.

Note: Temperatures that appear for short periods, such as climbing hills, etc., would need to be averaged against normal operating temperatures to determine actual life expectancy.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for all of the good info.

Larry
lac0908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all of the good info.
Larry, Please to do it.

Tags
allison