Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Come on guys!

Alot of us are still waiting to hear about this chassis, in day to day use. I know that there are not many out there yet, but how about some replies from the owners of the W25.5?

Is it only on the new 2007 models?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Come on guys!

Alot of us are still waiting to hear about this chassis, in day to day use. I know that there are not many out there yet, but how about some replies from the owners of the W25.5?

Is it only on the new 2007 models?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Golden Gopher:
Alot of us are still waiting to hear about this chassis, in day to day use. I know that there are not many out there yet, but how about some replies from the owners of the W25.5? Is it only on the new 2007 models? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The W25.5 are being used by Newmar I believe so there may be some one lurking out there that can let know all about their chassis.

I would perceptibly expect that there isn't going to be much of a diveability difference between a W24 and a W25.5. Both have the same GAWRF, transmission and brakes. The difference is in the GAWRR and the final drive ratio.

These units are not limited to 2007 coaches. There should be 2006s out there with W25.5s. We should see these "Dubyas" come out quite a bit in 2007.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it only on the new 2007 models? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GOLDENGOPHER: Since I see you have an MACA, I thought you might want to know that ALL four(4) floor plans from Newmar for 2007 for the MACA are 39 foot monsters with a raised bedroom floor- yes, you come to a step up about 4" high when entering the bedroom area-and they are only available on the W-25.5 chassis with a 270" WB.

The lowest "base" MSRP-before options- is $184,422.00 for the 3992 and the highest "base" is $187,334.00 for the 3994. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #5

Not to hijack this thread, but once you start building these 39' monsters on this chassis, the 8.1 is going to be too "little"...

It barely has enough power to pull my fully loaded W-22 down the road as it is....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree "FrontRangeRVer"

The problem I see is Workhorse like many other manufacturer's build and test there chassis' at low elevations. If they would do their testing based on medium to high elevations, then they too would realize the only way a gas engine, including the 8.1 can develop enough horsepower to pull a load like a W22 (or worse W24, W25.5) is by higher then normal RPM, hence noisy, poor mileage, etc.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
About the GM 8.1L Vortec may I throw the ball in your court and ask, what would you suggest as an alternative to the largest "gasoline powered engine" currently in production in motorhomes today?

May I offer that there isn't an alternative and that the 8.1L Vortec powers and moves our motorhomes down the road with all the confidence that one can reasonably expect from the technology. I am very pleased with the performance of my 8.1 and there isn't anything that is going to match it in both power, reliability, price and performance.

The W-24s and W25.5s benefit from the 8.1L and simply offer a higher final drive ratio to move the load down the road. Any load can be moved when geared properly and Workhorse has got all of that figured out. The Allison 6 speed automatic transmission makes the 8.1 excel in practically every rpm spot and helps deliver the best MPG values more so than its competitor.

Climbing grades with at close to the GCWR can pull you down in speed however that said I routinely pass much more powerful vehicles that appear to be going backward on the same grade.

Noisy appears to be off the radar screen in 2007 since there will be new systems introduced that will attenuate this issue. Stay tuned. 2007 promises to be a year where all your perceptions about a gasoline powered motorhome chassis will be exceeded while continuing to make the Workhorse powered motorhome affordable.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It barely has enough power to pull my fully loaded W-22 down the road as it is.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangeRver: If you mean that statement literally, then please visit an authorized service center to have yours checked.

My 8.1 powered W-22 with 5 speed Allison is carrying the full 22,000 pounds allowed and I tow a ~3400 pound VUE four down. Therefore, I'm real close to the max 26,000 GCVWR I paid for. I can easily maintain 65-70 mph while remaining in OD on flat ground, with the RPMs in the 2200-2600 range. Pulling hills WILL force me out of OD, but pulling my load down the road has NEVER been a problem! When we travelled throuh the Rockies last October, we routinly had to go around our leader-friend (driving a 350HP Dynasty DP) on the passes, just to keep from losing our momentum. He would then catch me on the down-slopes and re-take the point.

As DriVer has already pointed out, gearing and final drive ratio should enable the current engine to "move" the W-25.5 quite nicely. Fuel milage MAY be a factor, but that is the price to be paid for moving ever increasing loads. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #9

Yup, I've got to go with DriVer & edgray on this issue. Just did a few trips around the hills of the Smoky Mountains & the rig "done good", even at max grunt weight.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
... the rig "done good", even at max grunt weight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.... and we're talking 37 to 38 foot motorhomes.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #11

Let me clarify....I love my 8.1....just got back from a 2,800 mile trip....averaged 7.25 MPG fully loaded WITH toad....and I also was able to keep it in 6th gear most of the time....

I am just wondering how much more weight this engine can tow with these much larger (and heavier) chassis and boxes installed on them....thus my post.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy there must be something wrong with mine. Just drove it to Tahoe (from San Diego) and thought the thing was going to blow up!!! Got so hot inside going up 80 from Sacramento, you could not put your feet on the floor without shoes, and the noise; we almost lost our hearing with the fans engaging. The fans get so loud they sound like they are screaming. Fuel mileage, forget about it, I think we get about 5-6 mgh towing a &lt; 2k vw bus. I was expecting the thing to start rolling down the hill backwards. I regret this purchase and should have held out for a pusher! I tell everyone I know to stay away from gassers. To read posts where guys are getting 8mph towing and racing past pushers up hills is a JOKE; there is no possible way these statements are true. These things are not for any sort of mountain driving/extended driving/bad road driving or anything less than perfectly flat with a tailwind. WH as a company stinks. My favorite is their calling the box tubing between the leaf springs a "patent pending anti-sway bar" JOKE I paid extra for this chassis, then had to spend another 2k on aftermarket sway bars so we could drive it without having near-death experiences. Our leaf springs are crunching all the time, the ac is busted, the muffler is failing and WH wont fix it... This is not the space shuttle, certainly they should know how to build something properly! I cannot imagine this thing at say 50k, we cannot get to 10k without rotating in & out of the shop after every trip. To say Ford is worse is not the point, its like Coke saying Pepsi causes cavaties; gasser motorhomes are simply wrong.

W-20 Workhorse
surfride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #13

Surfride are you one of those who set the cruise control and drives in the hills and mountians? Sounds like it. Have made many trips out west. Lake Tahoe was one of our stops. I had NO problem with any hills or mountains or engine running hot. I drive my MH I do not let it drive me. Only use cruise control in the flat lands.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Surfride:

Funny Post
How do you really feel?
I did 11,000 miles last year, over higher Mtns than you have in CA, pulling 3200# toad at the time. I travel fully loaded, and with toad was around 25,500#. I never had a problem and my Rig was totally stock. I think you have some problems that you need to take up with your dealer and have them addressed under warranty.

I hope things work out for you.