Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #71

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I think if you look at the composition of gasoline you will find that it already contains the Acetone carbon ring.

As for eating up O rings and the like... Search the net and you will find that most if not all current fuel systems will not be effected much by the 2 oz to 10 gals ratio. I plan to run my own tests on some "O" rings, fuel ines etc. A couplke of things you need to know about Acetone:

1) Acetone reduces surface tension for better fuel vaporization.
2) It is soluble in gasoline and water is soluable in Acetone.
3) Acetone acts like Alcohol - octane booster. So, to much to not good as could create a lean condition.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #72
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dale,

Last year we tested three coaches for two-three months with acetone & xylene.We had to add too much of it to make a significant change,so our testing showed it was not really worth the expense.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I post this ? over on the big thread I'll try here, why are we setting the gap at .45 on the spark plugs who decided this gap.
These AC Radiams are good for 100,000 miles figure be done with it and the Taylors also.
Never had a problem with wires my MFG knows how to allow plenty of air into motor area.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #74

Thanks Mike... But, I may test a few tank fulls any way. But, the Acetone testing is way down on the list of things to test.

OBTW - My fuel guy says adding Toulene and/or Xylene is a waste of money as gas has a fairly high ratio of each to start with and you have to add a lot to change the ratio.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 AM   #75

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
oemtech, Did you ever feel like a "RED HEADED FRECKLED FACE STEP CHILD"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel like that everyday and have been a red headed freckled step child since about 1965. I guess I never knew it was such a bad thing. I seem to have survived it.

Don
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
I got a gal of acetone at WW for like $12, and have been addinng 2oz. for each
10gal. of gas. Have not been able to get in realiabe data, as somme tanks have 50mi
of interstate driving an d some have 150mi.of innterstate driving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Workhorse has strongly taken a position that no additives should be introduced to the gasoline fuel mixture. The exceptions to these would be dry-gas and Sta-Bil.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #77

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Thanks Mike... But, I may test a few tank fulls any way. But, the Acetone testing is way down on the list of things to test.

OBTW - My fuel guy says adding Toulene and/or Xylene is a waste of money as gas has a fairly high ratio of each to start with and you have to add a lot to change the ratio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was one gent from Canada who researched this quite thoroughly and the bottom line was that each vehicle will respond differently and that with some brands of gasoline because of the additive pack that is used will not yield a worthwhile improvement in fuel economy. Two of the top runners were Chevron and Canadian Shell if memmory serves me correctly.

Personal choice here.

I beleive RvWizard is also looking into this along with his Dad.

Regards,
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #78

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As stated before I have the W4M tune, and I ask for both POWER and MILEAGE in the same
tune. I know that is a contradiction in terms, and I can not get the best of both worlds
with a single tune. So as I have 2 PCM for the WH why not have one tune for the POWER
and one tune for the MPG. Its only $75 each!!

But swapping the PCM is both time consuming and a real PITA!!!!!!!!!

Then ALONG CAME BUBE!!!!!!! with a brighter ideal. (pun intended)
Now I can change out the tune in 30sec. With a www.svcflash.com
One for MPG on I-95 going to Florida and one for POWER, say VAIL PASS.
But of course I will have to plan ahead and fill up with high-test gas,
for the POWER tune. WHAT A MIND?? a terrible thing to loose!!!!!!!TENN.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #79

Workhorse Chassis Owner
oemtech, I recently purchased the www.scangauge.com and will be able to
get some data on the W4M tune on my trip to Bristol.TN. ($165. on E-bay)

I have hooked it up to the HEMI and it only read CLOSED LOOP!!! Dont seem
correct to me, also does notshow TPS, Throttle Positon Senser.
I wonder if the scangauge has ship itself????

So if it works, what kind of information would be useful? And what kind of
functions should I monitor?? TENN.VOL. Departing on Aug.19, for TN.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
... will be able to get some data on the W4M tune on my trip to Bristol.TN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We are going to Bristol from August 23rd through the 26th and camping in the Medallion Motorcoach Community campground.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #81

I look at MAP, MAF, Load Pct, TP and SparAdv. On the virtual dash board I look VSS (speedo) rpm's, IAT (MAF air temp) ECT (water temp), Load Pct and MAF.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IM black, well part way back anyway, as I am living in the MH while the addition is being
finished. Will be most likely another 4 to 6 wk.
But to business at hand, the trip to Bristol was trouble free, weather was good as not to
hot. Race sucked, for a race at BIR!!!

To bring some up to speed, an 02 Adventure 32ft. with the 8.1. towing Jeep Liberty
with the W4M tune, Banks CAI, Granatella MAF, new plugs andn wires, 10% ethanol.

Ran with the SCANGUARE II pluged into the OBDII, engine rpm was lower on the SG II, by
approx. 150 rpm at crusing speeds.verses the dash analog gauge.
The intake air was right with the dash mounted air temp. (ambient air)say +or- 1 deg.
And would go up 10 or 12deg in traffic.
SG II has a setting that will allow the unit to check the MPG aveage, the higest fig.
was something like 9.3mpg,,,,I wish, but checked out to be 7.4 to 8.5 mpg.
I ran RT.460 from Chesapeake Va. to exit 150, on I-81, and got 8.5 mpg when I fillled
up at the Citgo station, for a total of 250miles.
And as oemtech had a power problem in the mountions, I drove the dog pass out of it
in the mountains, on I-81 south. I usuall drive 75-80 down hill and try to top out
50-55 on top of the hills. Thats what I TRY to do. But this time I drove down at 65-70
and POWERED up the other side. I tink it was exit 88 (VPI exit)about 200yrds from the
crest it went to 3rd gear and was down to 50 or 55 mph. The SG II was showing 72% TPS,
(throttle position settting) Gassed up in TN. with 100% shell GAS, milage was 7.5

I fueled up in Abingdon Va.(on the way home) and ask the girl if the gas contained ethanol?
Sorry I asked!!! I am thinking something like 30 or 33 gal.dont rember to top it off.
405 miles and 47.8gal later, I was home. Or what was left of it! Now I am trailer trash!

Dont know when I will be back, maybea mo. or so!!!Losing wi-fi tomorrow...TENN.