Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
If I remember correctly at last years IRV2 Rally(2006) in Branson, I believe JoeK mentioned that he had/was using the above oil in his rig. I'm ready for an oil change, which I do at 5000 miles or 1 yr whichever comes 1st-AcDelco PF1218 Filter) and want it done before we go to the WCMC Rally in Myrtle Beach next month. What are the opinions of those that have used the 10W-30 Tech 2000 Synthetic from Walmart. I am also considering 10W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
If I remember correctly at last years IRV2 Rally(2006) in Branson, I believe JoeK mentioned that he had/was using the above oil in his rig. I'm ready for an oil change, which I do at 5000 miles or 1 yr whichever comes 1st-AcDelco PF1218 Filter) and want it done before we go to the WCMC Rally in Myrtle Beach next month. What are the opinions of those that have used the 10W-30 Tech 2000 Synthetic from Walmart. I am also considering 10W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #3

Your Workhorse Owners Manual recommends 5w-30 for the 8.1 engine.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

Jerry: 5W30 is the "preferred" viscosity range because it allows the best flow at cold start-up. The manual also says 10W30 is acceptable "if" you are staying above 0 degrees F. Me, I ain't going anywhere near that cold!

There is also a footnote warning against the use of 10W40, 20W50, or any other multigrade oils.

Straight 30W "may" be used, but only when temps will not be below 40 degrees F. ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #5

I am going to piggy back on this thread. I just had my oil changed a a workhorse center and used Mobil 1 5 30 and the service manager and the tech said I could now go 5K before my next oil change am I going to have warranty problem by not going the 3K mileage
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The last oil change I decided to use NAPA brand full synthetic 5 -30 oil. Reading the label it was packaged by Ashland Oil, which I believe is Valvoline.
So far all is well, good oil pressure, minimum usage at approx. 4000 miles.
I always used Castrol products in the past.
I do not have any experience with the Wal-Mart brand.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">am I going to have warranty problem by not going the 3K mileage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CHUCK: NOBODY on this forum can answer your question because we are not Workhorse. I can tell you that WCC still recommends oil changes at 3 MO or 3,000 miles whichever comes first. This is regardless of type of oil used.

That said, "if" you had a warrantable failure, the manufacturer must prove your action contributed to the problem. This is a protection of the Magnason-Moss Act.

Personally, I would continue changing the oil and filter every 3 until I was out of warranty, but that's just me. ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuck,

I've used nothing but Mobil 1 5w30 since the first oil change. I now have 30k miles and am well out of warranty. The last oil change I sent a sample in for analysis that had 5,000 miles and the lab suggested I could put the oil back in and use it further. I didn't of course, but it made me feel fairly safe in going 5k per change. The oil that was analyzed was used on a trip back from the West Coast over the Rockies and the coach spent a great deal of time around 4,000 rpm going up and down the hills. I did have to add a quart near the end of the trip which I usually don't have to do.

I agree with edgray in being cautious while the warranty is still in effect.

Dave
Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
If I remember correctly at last years IRV2 Rally(2006) in Branson, I believe JoeK mentioned that he had/was using the above oil in his rig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The JoeK that I know would not be using the viscosity you quoted in his diesel engine. If anything he would be runnging a diesel engine rated, 15W-40 oil.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If you check the MSDS from the Wal Mart site you will find this oil comes from Warren Distribution and I will bet that it is a Group III petroleum based oil and not a true synthetic. It is still a good oil as it meets all of the specs required by GM/Workhorse.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've not used the Walmart brand synthetic oil and not sure who makes it. I do know there is vast differences in "synthetic" oils. In tests I believe that Amsoil (the inventor of synthetic oil) was rated the best (and by far the most expensive) closely followed by Mobil One Synthetic and Castrol Syntec Full synthetic. I would stick with one of these. ( I personally use mobil One in all my vehicles) Synthetic oil does not break down or wear out, if it could be sufficiently cleaned/ filtered, it could be used indefinitely. It easily can be run for 5k to 7k miles (warranty not considered). A general rule of thumb with synthetic is it needs to be changed when it gets dirty! If you look at the dipstick and can see through the oil (its not black!) its still good. I go with the 5000 miles or once a year since I dont drive the MH very frequently. In my Mercedes I go 7000 miles between changes. Now all this applies to gasoline engines, the diesel is another animal, the highlevel of contamination in these engines requires more frequent changes (3000 miles) unless you have a highly efficient filtration system. The big rigs on the road have multistage filtration and run much higher mileages between changes.
Morguns1cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #12

To my knowledge there are only 2 SYNTHETIC oils:

1) Amsoil
2) Mobil 1

All others are Group III highly refined petroleum based oils.

I am currently using Penzoil Platinum Synthetic and will switch back to 10w-30 Mobil 1 at my next oil change.

As for 3k oil changes... maybe back in the day but not with todays oil. I have had my oil tested by Blackstone labs and the oil from the 8.1 with 5k usage still had 40% usage. The Honda with 7k on the oil using Wal Mart Super Tech 10w-30 High Mileage oil only had about 20% left. Draw you own conclusions.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale, what about Royal Purple 5W-30? Is it a true synthetic, or just a highly refined petroleum Group III oil.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #14

Rick,

I don't know but I will see what I can find out.