Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Want to change the shocks myself

We can do our own maintenance on the 82 PA and a neighbor that likes too help us out and has more manically know-how. I am wondering if we could tackle removing the old shocks and re-place them with New shocks? We have a floor jack a 8 ton bottle jack and air tools, and a breaker bar. One tool I don't have is a torque wrench.
There are only 2 bolts, it can't be that hard is it?
Any one tackle this themselves?

Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It easy to do.
I was testing shocks on our Dutch Star and did the front IFS 5 or 6 times. In ours the main bolts take something like 125 ft lbs but I do own several torque wrenches. You can get them at Harbor Freight pretty reasonably. I know there are lots of people out there that disapprove of Harbor Freights tools, but for an occasional or one time use they are fine. I prefer good tools though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #3

I installed front coil springs AND koni shocks on our 95 Chevy P32 with no special tools... Simple hand tools... Ok, I did have a ball joint fork, but you won't need that... Heck you don't even need to jack it up to replace shocks unless you want the extra room... Chock your wheels !!! You don't want that thing moving while you're under there.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Yeah, it really is as easy as you suspect. Worst you may have to deal with a rusted/seized fastener.

Monroe are currently running a promo, get 4 for the price of 3:
MONROE SHOCKS & STRUTS :: Promotions
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Dirtmover said, rusted bolts will be the issue. I would start dousing them with some good penetrating oil a few days before you start. Also give them a few whacks with a hammer as the vibration helps the penetrating oil work.

good luck,
Dave
Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Harbor Freight torque wrench is not expensive. Air tools help a lot. The advice to slather the bolts with WD-40 or whatever is key.

Harbor Freight also sells a 3/4" drive set for about $40.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
The advice to slather the bolts with WD-40 or whatever is key.
Just a note on WD-40. It's great at displacing water, hence the name WD, but as a penetrant it is not the best. I've tried many of the commercially available preparations but switched to a simple 50:50 mix of power steering fluid and acetone a number of years ago. I found it works as well or better than anything else I'd tried.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We can do our own maintenance on the 82 PA and a neighbor that likes too help us out and has more manically know-how. I am wondering if we could tackle removing the old shocks and re-place them with New shocks? We have a floor jack a 8 ton bottle jack and air tools, and a breaker bar. One tool I don't have is a torque wrench.
There are only 2 bolts, it can't be that hard is it?
Any one tackle this themselves?

Thanks, Tim
A mechanic friend did the job in 45 minutes tops. That's after I jacked it up. My air wrench was not strong enough to break the nuts loose which I bought at Harbor.. You need two sizes of impact sockets. His impact wrench best I remember was 550 ft# torque.
benge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Got her done was fairly easy. I sprayed them a few days in advance with WD-40. I have the air tools and it broke them lose in a few seconds. I really think they were the originals not much chush in them. They had springs on them that appear to be after-market. They have 4 hex bolts to remove them, After I see how she rides I might try to install them on the new Bilstiens.
I just can't wait for the rears too get here, I am going to try and do them too.
I took pictures and will upload them tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks