Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #1

I also experienced check engine light after a driveing rain - from an earlier post - I am crafting a CIA to replace the factory airbox as a result. From the pics you can see the factory box open. When closed the box has a gap wide enough to slip a business card into. No factory intake modification could cure this problem. This is a poor location, in the wheelwell, for a box that doesn't seal properly. Will psot pics when I finish the replacement intake system.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #2

I also experienced check engine light after a driveing rain - from an earlier post - I am crafting a CIA to replace the factory airbox as a result. From the pics you can see the factory box open. When closed the box has a gap wide enough to slip a business card into. No factory intake modification could cure this problem. This is a poor location, in the wheelwell, for a box that doesn't seal properly. Will psot pics when I finish the replacement intake system.

Custom CAI
Old 03-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
jbrnigan, the Newmars did suck water down thru the horn from the windshield and us older Newmars fixed it with a weather strip in the hood opening, BUT I have notice coachs 2004 and up now have been sucking water thru the air box sides as you have discribed. My year coach, chassis 02, the box is tight. I have all ready ordered the new BRAZELS air intake box design at Tenn. Rally getting rid of that tuba which will allow more air thru radiator with it removed. If you haven't seen it there is a post by DriVer on the Brazels sys posted in this forum. Good luck with your design and do post for people that are interested.

As a owner of a Newmar how about becoming a member of the Newmar Forum, whats say. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 AM   #4

"007", I also did the weatherstrip "fix" but as you can see and as you noted, water intrusion at the airbox won't be fixed by sealing up openings at the front end of the coach. I did read with interest "drivers" post on the Brazel CAI and the follow ups. My reason for posting my findings and pics was to give some WH owners another place to look after they have done the weatherstrip thing, and WH has modified their tubas and they still have a problem since the forums are full of frustration over this issue. I will post pics of my replacement intake system within the next couple of weeks - it's essentially Brasel's system - 9" cotton gauze filter, 4" intake tubing, etc. ps - I am a Newmar forum member

Custom CAI
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jbrnigan, to start with neither I with a w-20 winnie or my friend in a w-22 newmar
have had anyof the problems with water injestion, or burnt wires. We both have 30K
on the WH chassie. I just in the last 2mo. installed the BANKS air, as I liked it
better than the one Braziers is selling . But what caught my attention was you
had the K-N, like I started with, and when I installed mine it came with another
gasket to install in the airbox. This was to make sure that there was a good AIR
seal on the box,as I suppose the K-N filter was not thick enough to provide a
good seal. Do you rember if you got the EXTER gsket with your K-N? TENN.VOL.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #6

To' Workhorse and their fans;

Is this site monitored by Workhorse people??

If it is , they don't seem to pay attention.

It's over two years and still problems with water intake. Don't they have engineers that can design something and eliminate the problem??

Are the rig manufacturers causing the problems because of modifications to workhorse?? Or is it all workhorse.

It would seem to me that with this on-going water problem and the suspension proslems and other changes that they are using the consumer for research and developement and the consumer is paying in $$$ and lost time and having to come up with their own solutions.

My opinion, they rushed their product to market not finished to have consumers foot the developement with lost time and $$.

Not aware of any other manufacturer that has done this.

I would'nt donate a workhorse to the worst charity out there.

FIX THE PROBLEM< IT'S YOURS, NOT THE CONSUMERS'

AJBJRVERS
Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 AM   #7

Tenn.Vol - My Newmar only has 2500 mi, the first and only water entry happend with the factory AC filter. (My Newmar was delivered with the intake modification in place). I discovered the airbox sealing problem purely by accident. After receiving the K&N filter, I installed it after returning from a short trip in the coach, the last mile or so in a driving rain. The next morning I opened the airbox to install the K&N and noticed water behind the factory filter. This led to a close look at the box and all inlet hose connections. This is when I found one side of the airbox did not seal as tightly - see pics - I installed the K&N anyway and began looking at the myriad of posts on the subject and knew I needed to replace the box (probably under warranty) or craft a replacement. No the K&N didn't come with an extra gasket, but it seals well on three sides. I suspect, as an injection molded part, the molding tolerances can get out of whack. The pics don't show it, but the cover is just slightly "warped" on one side and it is only where the business card is inserted in the pic, that there is enough clearance between the cover and the seal against the filter gasket where water could possibly enter. I also suspect that the location of the airbox in the wheel well subjects the box to a pressure / power wash like environment at 60 mph. I'm somewhat philosophical about it as at least I know what the problem is and don't have to spend a wad of dough to "fix" it or hassle with WH - per the number of frustrated WH owners who still have the problem

Custom CAI
Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 AM   #8

Quick edit of my previous post. First water entry and check engine light and power down effect was when coach was "new", about 1500 miles. Dealer reset ECU and told me he couldn't find a problem and the factory fix was already in place. Suggested it was just an aboration. Second discovery of water in airbox is outlined in previous post.

Custom CAI
Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jbrnigan, as my cover seems to be good, if you like I could ship it to you.
(as I NEVER throw anything away, I will die with that in the RV barn)Must be
an old thing !?!?!?!?!?!?
I am looking to do away with my TUBA horn and add a 6" PVC pipe with a
90deg. bend in it and bring it up behind the headlights. TENN.VOL.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:45 AM   #10

Tenn.Vol - I'll be happy to ship you mine then you'll have a pair. Thanks anyway. I still believe the WH airbox set up is a weak link in their intake system, restrictive and prone to leak (my experience). When I finish crafting my CAI, I'll post pics. It's not unlike the unit supplied by Brasel's as it uses 4" tubing, a 9" S&B filter and nestles in behind the right headligt - out of the elements. I'm jsut waiting for the weather to cooperate.

Custom CAI
Old 03-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will be looking for your picture also, as I am looking for a fix of the box. I have only had one problem, last OCT in PA--Driving rain (9" that day) on the PA Pike. The whole filter got soaked. The water does not come down the tube, it gets splashed onto the box-which does not seal well.
I just removed my ECM and sent it to Braxel's for programing. I spent some time looking at the location of the box, and feel that it could have been raised higher, under / or near the heater box. This would have kept the road splash off.
I am planning to start using Amsoil Micro-fiber filters--Stops more dust and allows more air to pass. they can be cleaned and reused if tended properly.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
jbrnigan, you say you are a member of Newmar forum, I just made it offical how do you like it, if not I can remove it. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajbjrvers:
Is this site monitored by Workhorse people?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Many Workhorse people monitor this site ajbjrvers and if Spartan were so flawless I'm sure they would completely close down their service network but that's clearly not the case is it?

Thank you for the post however I shall not return the favor by posting the anomalies that people experience with their products in any other forum here because I respect their choices and I wouldn't think it productive or necessary to do so.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #14

I along with a "couple" other people are VERY happy with our Workhorse chassis and in our short time owning it have been happy to see that Workhorse has made some changes, no doubt in large part from feedback from chassis owners, i.e. the air intake, the shocks and others.

I and I'm sure many others would love to see the day that Workhorse or ANY other manufacturer could provide the perfect problem free chassis (or anything else for that matter), but I am realistic and know that will never happen.

I am very glad to see that Workhorse does take consumer feedback into consideration and make changes to improve what I feel is already a product leaps and bounds superior to the competition. The changes may not come as fast as some would like, however better a well thought out improvement than a knee-jerk temporary fix.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote