RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #1

I'm trying to install the sender for a new water temp gauge. The ONLY "plug" I have found is a rather large one in the side of the water pump. ANYBODY know IF I can bush down and put the sender in the pump, or will it likely hit the impeller. Any other ideas where I can find a port into the coolant?? THKS, ED

edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #2

I'm trying to install the sender for a new water temp gauge. The ONLY "plug" I have found is a rather large one in the side of the water pump. ANYBODY know IF I can bush down and put the sender in the pump, or will it likely hit the impeller. Any other ideas where I can find a port into the coolant?? THKS, ED

Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #3

I don't know, Ed, but recalling all the waterpumps I've seen from my wrenching days, there really isn't much clearance. I don't think I'd chance it. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:25 AM   #4

Thanks OLDSNIPE. ANYBODY KNOW?? ED
Old 08-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about one of the drain plugs on the side of the block? Too small probably...
Old 08-25-2005, 07:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The factory water temp sender is located in the middle of the passenger side head. The drivers side head has a plug in that location. I removed the plug and installed my after market water temp sender there. Your going to like to see just what the real water temp is.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your going to like to see just what the real water temp is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK Logthumper, you piqued my curiosity.... Just what are you seeing? My stock dash gage stays rock steady at middle postion "all the time"; never see the infuence of a good pull going up a hill. Once in awhile I hear the electric fans come on, but that's about it.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My stock dash gage stays rock steady at middle postion "all the time"; never see the infuence of a good pull going up a hill. Once in awhile I hear the electric fans come on, but that's about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's my understanding that the "dash gauge" is really an idiot light disguised as a gauge.

If you really want to know your engine temp you need an aftermarket gauge.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:29 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My temp gage seems to be analog as it moves up slowly as engine warms up. If it were an idiot type it would probably be all or nothing.
Last 2 Fords I owned had idiot gages that used an oil pressure sending switch instead of an actual analog sender.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed -

If all you're looking for is engine-temperature, it might be overkill but have you tried one of the OBDII scanner-systems?

They connect to the OBDII port and give you an exact reading of what the engine is 'thinking about'. Some are fairly simple and only show the more-important parameters (temperatures, pressures, etc) digitally, but some go all-out and give you the option of looking at darn-near everything and in digital, graphical, or linear display modes.

I've got 2 different ones, and would almost (notice I said 'almost') trade 'em for my GPS-system instead.

Oh yeah, and they also tell you what the dreaded blinking CHECK-ENGINE light is trying to tell you, and allow you to cancel it once you fix the problem.

R

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
troth:
The factory temp gauge will stay in the middle all the time. Thats the way it is programed (I guess unless something really gets hot). Normal, depending on outside temp is around 238-245. During some really hard pulls between Sheridan,Wy to Cody,Wy On Alt 14, the temp on the aftermarket gauge would reach 260. I also reached temps like that in the Colorado Mountains. The factory gauge always stayed in the middle. I also use the Auto-Tap computer program with my LapTop. Plugs into the OBDII Port and reads/displays everthing about what the engine is doing and has done. I am fully loaded and tow a Jeep Wangler. The temp of 260 is taken in the middle of the drivers side head (about the hotest spot) so a max of 260 is about all I want to see. I'm sure that if taken at a spot where coolant is returned/mixed from all areas befor returning to the raditor the temp wold be a little less. The W22 and 8.1 is doing a great job, I have no complaints.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi LogThumper -

I also use the Auto-Tap and was surprised to see that the factory gauge was so non-linear. It stays nestled right in the middle for most of the time, but then wakes up and starts heading for outer-space almost at the last minute.

I had the optional AutoTap Ford-specific software for my Ford V10 when I had it, and spent way too much time playing with all the extra parameters it was spitting out (and not looking out the front window). Do you have the basic software for the Workhorse or the GM-optional? I've been thinking of getting it, but just haven't forked over the $99 yet.

BTW, nice pics.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron:
Because of the GM 8.1, my wife's Ford Explorer and the Jeep/Chrysler, I went for the package. Called Workhorse and they said that they make no changes on the GM 8.1 software so the AutoTap works great on it. More info then I know what to do with, but nice to have so much info.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Logthumper, Did you ever notice what temperature the fan kicks in at and what temp it stops?

Also, what did you use for insulation on your dog house? (nice pics)

Thank you.

US Army 1968-70 SETAF 559th HHD S4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote