Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We made it! - 6388 miles

Read this forum long enough, and one may get the impression that WCC's are unreliable. Being a pessimist, I prepared mentally and spare parts-wise for the worst on our trip West. Even lugged a spare tire around the country (which wouldn't fit under the frame or in any compartment). But NO chassis problems from Indy to San Diego to Portland to Rapid City to Indy. Towed a midsize on a dolly through 116 degree heat, up and down mountains (I HATE inclines!), through cities big and small, on all types of roads. A few minor coach problems, but the W22 performed virtually flawlessly. (Though the twin-turbo setup intrigues me; did I mention I HATE mountains?)

So, while this forum provides much appreciated valuable info on maintaining and repairing our Workhorse, I'll bet there are tens of thousands of unproblematic miles collectively put on these things every year. For us pessimists, that is hard to keep in perspective at times. But I have renewed confidence that I can get out there and drive it like I own it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did 10,917 miles this summer without a single chassis problem. The Coach was a different story, inverter quit, steps quit and the refrigerator fans stopped working.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Im about to do 3000+ miles this week on 7yr old tires and a W22 chassis.
All i have to say is "the worry worts make me laugh"
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a great trip. Glad everything went well as that's been my experience in the 60,000 miles we've put on our Workhorse. By the way, our Winnebago club had a rally at CERALAND in September. What a fantastic park and a great place to explore Columbus.

Glad things went well,
Dave
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree. Maintained properly Workhorse is good chassis. Also maintained properly Rexhall is a good coach. (Robust not as high inside finish as others) Memorial day to Labor day 11000 miles east from Tucson on I10 to Florida up I95 through New Brunswich, Nova Scotia PEI back across Canada and northern US to Washington down west coast back to Tucson, No chassis or coach problems Zero. Did meet a lot of gas stations average MPG was 8.5 towing a dingy.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I agree. Maintained properly Workhorse is good chassis. Also maintained properly Rexhall is a good coach. (Robust not as high inside finish as others)
Our Rexhal has performed EXTREMELY well in the 8 years we have lived fulltime in it.

The way I look at it. If we camped 2 weekends a month, we have spent the equivalent of about 60 years of camping in our Rexhall.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandcworkhorse View Post
So, while this forum provides much appreciated valuable info on maintaining and repairing our Workhorse, I'll bet there are tens of thousands of unproblematic miles collectively put on these things every year. For us pessimists, that is hard to keep in perspective at times. But I have renewed confidence that I can get out there and drive it like I own it.
My IP indicates over 96,500 miles. We just got back from making a short 1,000+ mile loop and I have to say, the motorhome runs as good today as it did when it was brand new. We were also getting 8.0 MPG figures most often while cruising.

Just keep feeding her a can or molasses oats and she's be true to you!

For those folks with any concern about how a geriatric motorhome behaves, I would say very well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

New be here. wife and I just bought a 2007 32' Fiesta in early Aug. have taken a couple of short trips around the Virgina coast line,no problems. I did have the alighnment checked. I did not know I had any problems until I drove it after it was alighighed. have not put on Konis swaybars or anything else to the frame, it runs fine so far. We did add Crossfires to the rear end.(easy to add air) leaving Va 21 DEC for the Q and Laughlin for Superbowl party. Will let ya know how my stock WorkHorse works!

Mark (Webegone)
webegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by webegone View Post
New be here. wife and I just bought a 2007 32' Fiesta in early Aug. have taken a couple of short trips around the Virgina coast line,no problems. I did have the alighnment checked. I did not know I had any problems until I drove it after it was alighighed. have not put on Konis swaybars or anything else to the frame, it runs fine so far. We did add Crossfires to the rear end.(easy to add air) leaving Va 21 DEC for the Q and Laughlin for Superbowl party. Will let ya know how my stock WorkHorse works!

Mark (Webegone)
Howdy Mark and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Fiesta and enjoy your trip.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty satisfied W22 owner

Sold my business the end of September so hope to get to hit the road some in our Allegro Bay W22.

Just got back from first trip. North Central Florida to Charleston SC then to Grundy VA up some pretty good hills.
I have to admit the W22 did very well. After having two brake calipers lock up before the recall, two failed ignition wires and one cracked spark plug I was a bit ansy and recently installed some cooling ducts with aircraft scat hose under the bumper for the wire/plug issue.
Climbing the 7 mile 4.5% grade into VA on I-77 the highest I saw on the scan gauge for the coolant was 204 degrees and when not climbing it was a consistant 198 degrees. The tranny temp was pretty consistant at 148 degrees even climbing. I saw no change when climbing. Ambient temp was in the 40's to 60's.

Is it a diesel pusher - no, but I was pretty impressed as we were right at the Combined vehicle weight rating with full water (105 gal), lp, about 60gal of gas and pulling a 2,200# trailer and I kept up, or outran most of the semi's climbing. That diesel torque would have been nice as would retarders, but with careful driving it was not a big deal.

Would I rather have a diesel, sure, but for now the W22 is doing me right.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote