Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I sent out a couple of emails to get the specs on AC Delco's GF481 and Baldwin's BF853.

AC Delco confirmed that the GF481 has been renumbered to GF652. They didn't have all the info I asked for but did say that the GF652 was a 4-5 micron filter.

Baldwin/Hastings/Purolater indicated that the BF853 was a 10 micron filter.

So, the bottom line so far is either WIX or AC Delco with 5 micron filters.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Well, not long ago, the 'experts' were saying that STP oil filters were inferior because they had less pleats than a napa or wix oil filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gasoline is a lot more viscus than oil.

Remember when the gas filters were in the inlet to the carb?? The filter was a very small porous brass sponge type of filter. I never recall having to replace one of those.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I never recall having to replace one of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was turning wrenches in the back room of the gas station we use to regularly remove and not replace them on carb rebuild. But, we also made sure that there was a in line fuel filter installed. Very common on the old Rochester Quadrajet.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
But, we also made sure that there was a in line fuel filter installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going back further than that. Back before paper inline filters. Back when an inline fuel filter was a sediment bowl and you could see if it was dirty.

-Tom

Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Oemy you ole cheap skate, u waz suppozed ta uz da good chinese fuel proof duct tape, not da dollar store Bangladesh stuff

Now yer gettin down to da nitty GRITTY, filtration abilities, and lets not forget flow rates when filtering. Also ya'll gotta forget about ole time carburator filtration, you could pass a good sized rock through the fuel system without incedent, not these new fangled fuel injectors. Microns means everything here

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Well, not long ago, the 'experts' were saying that STP oil filters were inferior because they had less pleats than a napa or wix oil filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>max, STP filters were very poorly reviewed in a contolled situation. You can find the same information on the INet like we did. It had more to do with the mechanical construction than the media. The reviewer didn't give STP a very good rating at all.

The only thing that is consistent is the reliability of the WIX/NAPA/Hastings family of filters which are reviewed as very good to excellnet.

Protecting a multi thousand dollar motor I believe requires OEM or better filters not bargain basement knock offs.

Made in USA! That's a good thing to look for.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do more pleats equal better filtration? I would think it does but I wonder if maybe the material the filter is made of is as important as the number of pleats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would also consider the consistency of the pleats. The Fram and Walmart look like too much media was jammed in the can. Some areas it is very tight, other areas wide open. Dirty or rusty gas is going to plug them a lot faster than the filters with consistent pleats.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oemy you ole cheap skate, u waz suppozed ta uz da good chinese fuel proof duct tape, not da dollar store Bangladesh stuff Big Grin

Now yer gettin down to da nitty GRITTY, filtration abilities, and lets not forget flow rates when filtering. Also ya'll gotta forget about ole time carburator filtration, you could pass a good sized rock through the fuel system without incedent, not these new fangled fuel injectors. Microns means everything here Big Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong again fur face I used the genuine Duck tape. It wasn't until I hit about 90 psi that it gave up the ship....

I asked for the flow rate in all my emails and none of the replys contained that info. WIX is the only one to provide the info and it is available on their web site (4 micron/1-2gpm).
Old 10-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Also ya'll gotta forget about ole time carburator filtration, you could pass a good sized rock through the fuel system without incedent, not these new fangled fuel injectors. Microns means everything here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ran Corvette Rochester fuel injection on my 1965 327 Chevelle, before paper disposable filters, and never had a problem.

-Tom

Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

Made in USA! That's a good thing to look for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well , you have to look hard to find much made in the good ole USA. I've seen Wix and Baldwin filters stamped 'made in China.'
There's alot of parts on our WH's that are made in China and Mexico , and probably other countries too. I'm able to afford a lot of things because of China. Electronics, tools, and OMG, I somehow got stuck in the mall while my wife tried on clothes. Oh I hate that.
So while I was bored, I wondered who the heck makes all these clothes. So I started looking at the tags . Yep , you guessed it, China , Taiwan, Banglasdesh, , Singapore and other places I never heard of. These were not 'cheap' stores like Wal Mart either.
I just hope our leaders don't try to bite off more than we can chew, by making pissing China off. If we do , I'm getting my money out of the stock market fast.
Sorry, I guess I really got off topic.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey TomN, that Rochester system was just 1 step above pouring gas into the engine
Just about every Vette in this area pulled it off. Hard to tune and keep tuned. No disrespect intended Bro,

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale:

Great Job on reporting the differences in the filters.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #28

OBTW - I am waiting on a reply from Workhorse on the specs for the 04 an up filter. The clock is running.