RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone please enlighten me. My rv specs are below. Mine does the porpoise act. Thought it was inherent in all rigs but just catching the subject in passing I'm not up on details of WH replacing shocks. Details please!

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone please enlighten me. My rv specs are below. Mine does the porpoise act. Thought it was inherent in all rigs but just catching the subject in passing I'm not up on details of WH replacing shocks. Details please!

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Check your shocks, if they are all black I would suspect you may have an 03 chassis with std Monroe shocks. I have a Dec 03 chassis and got Newmar to install 4 Bilstien's as per the 04 specs. I still missed the the 50 degree steering cut. Monroe Magnums were the standard replacement but, I think most folks that have them will ultimately replace with Bilstein's or the high dollar Koni's.

This not a true WCC issue as most of the OEM's overloaded the coach per the orginal specs.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just looked and yep they're black. If I remember the thread WH authorizes Monroe Magnum. Bilsteins if bought by owner cost 1.5x Bilsteins and Koni's are 2x. I'll be on Rexhall when I return from Redlands. Thanks

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
Old 05-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably be a good idea to get/have front and rear axle weights when you ask for WCC to consider shock replacements.

Marty
Old 05-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weight specs are on sticker in coach. So do Icall coach bldr or WH?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
Old 05-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The weights on the sticker come from the coach builder and are approximate for that model of coach empty and without options. You need to weigh yours, front and rear, to get the actual weight as you have it loaded.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #8

Workhorse is going to want to see you have weighed the front, rear, and total to make sure you are not overweight before they replaace anything. I got all 4 schocks(monroe magnum) repalced but most are only getting an allowance for the front. -John

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should make an appointment with an authorized WCC service center for your shock /porposing issues. Bring along weight measurements ( from a truck stop type scale) for front and rear axles loaded as you normally would use the coach.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 National-Dolphin porpoised so bad I felt it was a real safety issue. I provided full weights (each wheel, front and rear wheels, & total weight) and being only 32 long on a W22 chassis I was no where near max weight. Still Workhorse felt the weight balance was out of wack and would not pay for shocks. This makes little sense as I carry little in my storage compartments. Anyway to make the story short I bought four Bilstien's and I'm very pleased.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
Weight specs are on sticker in coach. So do I call coach bldr or WH? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you the original owner and when (date) did you buy the coach and how many miles do you have? Most owners on 2003 chassis would have addressed the shock absorber issue way before this point in time. Depending, your chassis warranty is soon expire but since you have a 2004 coach it should still be in effect until after July 1st.

If Workhorse determines that you fall within a certain ratio of weight, they may authorize the replacement of your front shocks with Monroe RV Magnums. You will need a scale ticket before going to the service center.

Having a T-Rex I would consider adding Koni FSD shocks as the best option otherwise you may want to install Bilstein shocks all the way around. The Monroe RV Magnums went away on me at about 30,000 miles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:05 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
This makes little sense as I carry little in my storage compartments. Anyway to make the story short I bought four Bilsteins and I'm very pleased. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Workhorse makes suggestions to manufactures as to how the chassis should be loaded. If this doesn't work as planned the coach may present control issues. WCC can not cover under warranty all of the manufacturers and all their models because none of them are the same. It's impossible to provide a chassis that works equally well for all applications. This is why WCC established a weight ratio table to help owners address porpoising as it happens. We see people running original shocks and they seem to be doing alright, while others have control issues.

I think that the proactive measure that you chose was the best option.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #13

Its really hard to imagine anyone not having control problems with the original schocks my Itasca 35u came with. Completely empty the coach porpoised so badly over bumps and overcrossings it makes you wonder how the chassis and motorhome manufacturers could have let that vehicle come to market. Very puzzling that even empty no one who ever drove that vehicle wouldn,t have complained and done something before it got to the consumer.- John

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went through this issue 1 year ago--took it to the Dealer, with the CAT scal report--They called WCC and then did measurements--Claimed that National RV made the RV 3 inches longer then they had speced. Both just pointed Fingers at each other. I did my own weight adjustment and now run about 7800 lbs on the front axle-over 20,000 miles . I can handled the road with little to no problem. I will change the shocks in the future.
Would like to go with Koni.

Build Date was Oct -2003, Purchased Jan 2004