RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

What are you guys running for tire air pressure

When the tire shop put on my new tires a couple of months ago they set them to the maximum pressure which is 110lbs. I have a 2000 flair and was running 90lbs in the previous tires. I took off Michelins and put on 14 ply Hercules 902 tires. Don't usually tow anything so was gonna set them down to the 90lbs I was running before. what is everyone else running???

89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best to weigh the coach and set pressure per tire manufacturers inflation charts.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's highly recommended by just about everyone in the industry to get the coach weighed as you would generally be loaded. It's best to get 4 corner weights, but front, rear, and total can give you good info to determine proper inflation. The manufacturer should have a web page that sets pressure based on weights. Every coach is different and even the same coach can be loaded differently by the owners. The pressures given by the coach manufacturer are often higher than what the actual pressure should be to protect them from owners that may overload their coaches. My coach had 90 psi front and 85 psi rear on the factory tag. After weighing the coach the recommendation by Michelin was to set the pressure at 80 psi all around. I do add 5 psi to the front for a total of 85 psi.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you notice a rougher ride and some moving around like the wind is blowing you around with the higher pressure?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
When the tire shop put on my new tires a couple of months ago they set them to the maximum pressure which is 110lbs. I have a 2000 flair and was running 90lbs in the previous tires. I took off Michelins and put on 14 ply Hercules 902 tires. Don't usually tow anything so was gonna set them down to the 90lbs I was running before. what is everyone else running???
Hi Sandman,

I nearly asked the same question yesterday!

I have exactly the same scenario and my ride has felt very harsh. I have cheap tires (lesson learned) so no weight/pressure charts from the manufacturer but I weighed my coach this past week anyway. Using the published charts, I believe 90 psi is more than adequate for the weight I am carrying. So, yesterday, I dropped the pressure to 90 psi. I'm heading out on a 700 mile, one week trip today - I'll report back with the results.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #6

What are you guys runnning for tire air pressure

The weight on the axle determines the tire pressure, what I run is irrelevant even if we own the same coach since we would be loaded differently both in total weight and weight distribution.

You need to get the coach weighed and adjust the PSI according to the weight chart for the tires.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Do you notice a rougher ride and some moving around like the wind is blowing you around with the higher pressure?

Yes, my motorhome is a 30 foot flair and loaded is around 14,000. I checked the weight chart and 110lbs is WAY above what I need. Brought it down to 90lbs for this weekend and the drive was 100% better. With the 110lbs the rear end just would not stop wiggling, with the 90lbs it drives straight and true.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

I use the specs provided by the RV manufacturer which were spot on with the chart provided by the tire manufacturer.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

My rig is a triple e 32 feet on a p30. Weight is 5500 front and 11000 back which gives me 65lbs front and 70lbs from the Michelin chart. The RV manual gives the exact same numbers.

Tires are 225/70/19.5 XRV Michelin

Running 90 or over a 100 seems high to me
C350AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #10

I know I saw the specs when I saw the chart. We will be camping every weekend for the summer and I'm gonna drop the pressure 10lbs each trip till I reach the recommended amount and see where they drive the best. Makes me feel a little more secure knowing someone with close to the same weight rig is running that low of pressure.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I have exactly the same scenario and my ride has felt very harsh. I have cheap tires (lesson learned) so no weight/pressure charts from the manufacturer but I weighed my coach this past week anyway. Using the published charts, I believe 90 psi is more than adequate for the weight I am carrying. So, yesterday, I dropped the pressure to 90 psi. I'm heading out on a 700 mile, one week trip today - I'll report back with the results.
I made the first half of this drive (350 miles) this past weekend. I've never previously driven these particular roads so not a direct comparison but my MH felt much better at 90 psi. The ride was far less harsh. Worth noting again... 90 psi is still above the pressure required for the weight of my MH.

If it helps at all, I had my MH weighed at a local farm coop. They have a big scale for, I think, selling loads of feed. Just another possibility....
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #12

You may want to do a search on this site, seems I recall to check tire pressures for a rise after a short travel, if greater than 10% or so then is underinflated, also a temperature rise would indicate the same. I run 80psi determined with coach weight and fine tune with handling. Much good info here.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #13

I got new tires last year and I didn't think i would make it home. I was all over the road. Checked air pressure 110 #. Lowered to 85 as previous opener recommended. Fixed the problem. These tire stores inflate to max. Also, about after 500 miles got a lot better.
Robertandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #14

What is interesting is when I ordered my new tires 2 days ago and I said I wanted nitrogen instead of air they talked about filling the pressure to the max.

I said that I wanted 75 and the asked based on what? My answer was Michelin says 65 front 70 back, Chevrolet says 65 all around, and I did weight my coach. Why put over 100lbs ? Lack of comfort or to have exploding tires in the desert when it's 110F

C350AMG is offline   Reply With Quote