Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Couple other thought (My Adventurer 38J is on the same chassis):

1. Consider the ram air ducting to get air flow back to the rear spark plugs.
2. Front steer assist.
3. Front sway bar.

I was thinking I would also add rear sway bars but new Koni FSD shocks and tires really made a HUGE difference in driving pleasure.
I've been writing stuff about Workhorse for 10 years and I never came across a front steer assist. About the rear track bar, that's where I started my upgrade path. I do have a track bar and Safe-T-Plus on the front suspension.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I've been writing stuff about Workhorse for 10 years and I never came across a front steer assist. About the rear track bar, that's where I started my upgrade path. I do have a track bar and Safe-T-Plus on the front suspension.
I was using "steer assist" as a generic term for systems like the Safe-T-Plus, which is what I have. Blue Ox has a steer assist now that is adjustable on the fly. Am I making sense now?

My MH came with the current set up and if I need more stability I will add the rear trac bar and/or upgrade the sway bar.

Actually, I mis-typed...I have a front trac bar, not a sway bar. Not sure why the previous owner went with the front upgrades first. I think we have had this discussion before. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I was using "steer assist" as a generic term for systems like the Safe-T-Plus, which is what I have. Blue Ox has a steer assist now that is adjustable on the fly. Am I making sense now?
I wish that we could get on the same page conceptually. The Blue Ox - Tru-Center (I have one on the shelf) is a spring loaded, electrically centered, steering damper. This unit does not offer any degree of assist. Its job is to offer damping & attenuate oscillations induced by road surface irregularities. The electrical component in the Tru-Center can be set to offset the effect that crowning of the pavement might have and it is also useful when cross winds are severe. It's like cranking in trim on an aircraft or one could even look at it as a form of crabbing.

Quote:
My MH came with the current set up and if I need more stability I will add the rear trac bar and/or upgrade the sway bar.
I agree. A rear track bar would be a good investment which by the way does not go obsolete when you install a more robust anti-sway bar. These components are often installed on the rear of a motorhome as a system including a shock absorber upgrade.

Quote:
Actually, I mis-typed...I have a front trac bar, not a sway bar. Not sure why the previous owner went with the front upgrades first. I think we have had this discussion before.
Actually, (respectfully for all others) some salesmen will push that concept out to customers and they will have that equipment installed when in every instance starting in the rear is more effective IF you can visualize the length of the motorhome as a lever between the rear of the unit and the seat. A little movement in the rear of the motorhome while underway translates to a big wobble in the steering gear up front.

(When I was in the Army my MOS was 93H20, VFR ATC.)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #18

Yes this is what's known as the tail wagging the dog. A rear trac bar will help stabilize the rear end and greatly reduce the tail wagging the dog syndrome. Just got mine on along with Konis all around and it drives like a different truck.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I wasn't trying to sell mine to upgrade to a DP a rear trac bar and upgraded sway bar would be next.

Still, the new shocks and tires seemed to really improve handling for the time being. Even more than I expected.

Sorry if my use of steer assist is a bit too broad. I certainly don't want to lead anyone astray.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
formerly thuddriver
OK?? Why the name change?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
OK?? Why the name change?
LOL...check the "thuddriver" link in my signature line.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
LOL...check the "thuddriver" link in my signature line.
If they stop seeing the name ... "will they forget?"

thuddriver makes all those fine airmen live and to rend honor to those that flew the "Thud" is commendable and I will miss not seeing that handle being used in these forums.

I do respect your choice if that is your decision.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
To enhance your ownership experience, you may want to consider joining the WCMC who have a website with an amazing number of resources available to club members. Once you login all those features become available.

The WCMC also has a supporting forum here as well.
Fine print: Membership in WCMC isn't free, and also requires a current and ongoing membership in FMCA (also not free). Some folks are lifelong "joiners"; some not. Up to you what's worth spending your $$ on.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Fine print: Membership in WCMC isn't free, and also requires a current and ongoing membership in FMCA (also not free). Some folks are lifelong "joiners"; some not. Up to you what's worth spending your $$ on.
That's very true and the WCMC does not want to appear to be hiding any facts along the way. The "About Us" on the new WCMC website details the membership requirements.

If you are an FMCA member, the $15.00 a year to maintain your WCMC membership, IF it is useful to you, may not be that big of a challenge. The workhorseclub.com site contains dozens of documents, Newsletters, Rally descriptions, all the recalls and manuals about all aspects of WCC ownership and they can be download if required. The site also has a "Contact Us" resource and requests for support from what is left of Workhorse is often expedited for club members.

WCMC is a Chapter of the INTO Area of the FMCA.