Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What chassis do I have

I have been reading up on sway bars and trac bars for my (new to me) 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J with a work horse chassis. The first question that I come up against is " What chassis do you have" I have looked at almost of all the manuals that came with it and the only thing I found is the chassis VIN #. I went to the Work Horse Manual and could not correlate the Vin number to the chassis number.
Any ideas would help. VIN is 5B4MPA7G973427522 The reason that I am looking into the sway bar/trac issue is that the front end is very light. IMHO. I have drive diesel trucks and school buses since I could get a CDL and have never had one that wants to wander like this coach. It was especially troublesome on the initial shake down trip. Wind was probably 20+ mph and with the long tail of the 38J I had to drop down to 50 mph just to keep it off the shoulder or off the center line. But I touched everything in between.
So from what I have read (here in the forums) is that "a sway or trac bar" would help out with the wandering issue and possibly the light feeling front end. But I need the chassis number and then I will probably have a dozen more questions.
Thanks
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See post #1 in the thread below from our in-residence Workhorse guru:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/2009-...em-121884.html

Digit #6 -> A = W24 and some W25.5's.

I have a W24 under a 37.3' Outlaw Toy Hauler and have been very happy with the stability...so not all RV's are the same.

Best luck with the mods, and ask all the questions you desire. Someone here has probably seen it or done it.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
I have been reading up on sway bars and trac bars for my (new to me) 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J with a work horse chassis. The first question that I come up against is " What chassis do you have" I have looked at almost of all the manuals that came with it and the only thing I found is the chassis VIN #. I went to the Work Horse Manual and could not correlate the Vin number to the chassis number.
Any ideas would help. VIN is 5B4MPA7G973427522 The reason that I am looking into the sway bar/trac issue is that the front end is very light. IMHO. I have drive diesel trucks and school buses since I could get a CDL and have never had one that wants to wander like this coach. It was especially troublesome on the initial shake down trip. Wind was probably 20+ mph and with the long tail of the 38J I had to drop down to 50 mph just to keep it off the shoulder or off the center line. But I touched everything in between.
So from what I have read (here in the forums) is that "a sway or trac bar" would help out with the wandering issue and possibly the light feeling front end. But I need the chassis number and then I will probably have a dozen more questions.
Thanks
As "Scarab0088" posted above, you have a W-24, and the "7" in the tenth position makes it a 2007 MY chassis.

If you have shifted as much weight forward as possible and set your tire pressures to the PSI called for in the charts, then a rear track bar should be your first mod, IMO. If that still does not "fix" it, you may have to add a steering dampener, but I like to make only one mod at a time. The track bar is usually the best bang for the bucks. Good luck!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
I have been reading up on sway bars and trac bars for my (new to me) 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J with a work horse chassis. The first question that I come up against is " What chassis do you have" I have looked at almost of all the manuals that came with it and the only thing I found is the chassis VIN #. I went to the Work Horse Manual and could not correlate the Vin number to the chassis number. Any ideas would help. VIN is 5B4MPA7G973427522 The reason that I am looking into the sway bar/trac issue is that the front end is very light. IMHO. I have drive diesel trucks and school buses since I could get a CDL and have never had one that wants to wander like this coach. It was especially troublesome on the initial shake down trip. Wind was probably 20+ mph and with the long tail of the 38J I had to drop down to 50 mph just to keep it off the shoulder or off the center line. But I touched everything in between. So from what I have read (here in the forums) is that "a sway or trac bar" would help out with the wandering issue and possibly the light feeling front end. But I need the chassis number and then I will probably have a dozen more questions. Thanks
According to this brochure:

http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/...r-Brochure.pdf

You have a 24,000 pound Workhorse chassis which should translate to the W24. You should be able to call Winnebago with your VIN and get an answer.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ensure all suspension and steering components are good. Weight the coach at the four corners and adjust balance and tires pressures accordingly. Only then consider any aftermarket add ons.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What to do next?

So it is settled. Start at the back and go from there.
Which bodes the next couple of questions.
Do I go for "SWAY" or Trac?
Which manufacture?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

I would vote for a rear track bar. Since Brazel is a sponsor here, I suggest their red one which is identical to the blue one sold by Henderson. Ed
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Ensure all suspension and steering components are good. Weight the coach at the four corners and adjust balance and tires pressures accordingly. Only then consider any aftermarket add ons.

I would add to the above, to also have a front end alignment done to include the installation of 5 degree caster shims, and 3/16 total toe in for the wheels.
If the resulting changes in the way the coach drives still does not satisfy you, then I would install a rear track bar.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

That "light" feeling you are experiencing and the resultant wandering can be attributed mostly to the steering gear design that Workhorse began using in model year 2007. The ultra sensitive steering makes it a breeze to maneuver at slow speed but a real handful whilst under way. We have successfully converted back to the older style steering gear and this was the cure-all, albeit quite expensive and the parts can take a while to get. The most cost effective upgrades would be to weigh the coach on all 4 corners and set proper tire inflation for your weight from your tire manufacturers inflation chart, increase the caster to about 5-6 degrees, add a rear trac bar, safe-t-plus, front trac bar, rear sway bar and front sway bar...in that order.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
From experience my vote would be check tire pressure and then increase caster to 5 0r 6 degrees as Jon recommends. Just might fix your problem.

pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Inexperienced on topic,

A lot OP are talking about increasing castor to 5 5.6 degrees is this something I could do myself or are you taking to a shop too do? I have a hard time keeping her between the lines on a windy day also. I have had new stabilizers put in the front end. On a clam day she goes straight as a arrow down the HWY. But a windy day LOL
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Inexperienced on topic,

A lot OP are talking about increasing castor to 5 5.6 degrees is this something I could do myself or are you taking to a shop too do? I have a hard time keeping her between the lines on a windy day also. I have had new stabilizers put in the front end. On a clam day she goes straight as a arrow down the HWY. But a windy day LOL
I'm assuming you have a P32 chassis which probably has IFS. Not sure how or even "if" you could add castor, but it is definitely something that would be done by a heavy duty truck front end alignment shop.

What you've been reading here is about adding shims to the solid I-beam front axle of the W-xx series chassis.
Ed
Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Great replies

Thank you one and all for a wealth of information and advice. That is one of the many things about this forum that I really appreciate. Everyone is insightful, willing to share their vast knowledge and experiences.
I have been in touch with Brazel RV (only 25 miles from home ) about possibly putting a rear track bar on and the price is well within my budget. But I intend to talk with them on Monday about taking a look at the camber issue and if they can do that in their shop. Plus I need a couple of "other" things done as well. If all goes well, we should become great friends.
So I will keep this thread open for a couple of more days and then it will be gone.
But thanks again for all the great thoughts and advice.
Merry Christmas to all
The Toads
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you one and all for a wealth of information and advice. That is one of the many things about this forum that I really appreciate. Everyone is insightful, willing to share their vast knowledge and experiences.
I have been in touch with Brazel RV (only 25 miles from home ) about possibly putting a rear track bar on and the price is well within my budget. But I intend to talk with them on Monday about taking a look at the camber issue and if they can do that in their shop. Plus I need a couple of "other" things done as well. If all goes well, we should become great friends.
So I will keep this thread open for a couple of more days and then it will be gone.
But thanks again for all the great thoughts and advice.
Merry Christmas to all
The Toads
You are sooo lucky to be that close to excellent & honest care for your Workhorse chassis. I'm sure you will be pleased with their workmanship.

FYI, Your thread may eventually fall off the "front page", but I believe it will live on here in the forum "forever" because even the OP cannot delete a thread here on iRV2.com once the "edit" button expires.

Tags
chassis