Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What do you think caused this?

ll image.
This suddenly happened to my 8.1. To this point, the engine had been totally reliable. Other than several burnt # 5 SP wires through 5 years and 28,000 miles ,I had no trouble at all with it. I thought the engine would outlast the rest of the MH. I did always think it struggled terribly crossing the Rockies , but my old 460 Ford had just as hard of time and it was running great when I sold it with more than 70,000 mi on it.
90 % of my trips involved crossing the Rocky Mountains.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad Luck.....
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
This suddenly happened to my 8.1. To this point, the engine had been totally reliable. Other than several burnt # 5 SP wires through 5 years and 28,000 miles ,I had no trouble at all with it.
Max, I'm going with the tech at Burt Chevrolet. They've no doubt seen a lot of blown up motors and if his best estimate is a manufacturing defect, I expect that what it is.

About not pushing the engine over 4K, I would. (Especially during the warranty period) It's not going to climb very well without revs. I see 4K a lot when in compression so I'm not afraid to downshift either. I have over 86K miles so I'm watching the motor like a hawk.

The crankshaft is just about the hardest thing in that whole motor. I can't figure why it broke.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Somebody on another RV site had an 8.1 crank to break at 17,000 miles.
A few others chimed in with simular issues. Redlands Truck Center has seen a few accoding to the posts. A few bad cranks maybe?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Would have to go with the mechanic that tore down the engine. Simply put, there are a lot of those engines in use, and very few to my knowledge have suffered similar failure.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I asked for opinions on this before but maybe it got lost. Since I'd like to get the MH running again in my lifetime, and the ESP seems to be having a terrible time making a decision, I may have to make the decision and I'd like some opinions from you guys.
A- Do I get a new 36 Mo/ 100,000 Mi engine for $17,000, installed
B- A Jasper 18 mo/36,000 mi engine for $14,000, installed
C- ?
E As of 8-11-10 Dahmer had one long block for $3600. That would probably put it at about $12,000 installed. It comes with a 12 Mo/ 12,000 mi warranty.
D- I would feel really bad taking it some where else, after it has taken a big bay up in their shop for a month and they have been fighting with my ESP almost as much as me. Not to mention the tow bill to some where else.
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go with the longer warranty.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by (for) max49
I would go with the longer warranty.
It all depends on which motor the insurance company will buy. They will try to come in as low as possible. I'm sure they know about new vs Jasper. I'm sure this is not their first dance.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
It all depends on which motor the insurance company will buy. They will try to come in as low as possible. I'm sure they know about new vs Jasper. I'm sure this is not their first dance.
Well, if the ESP finally decides and says they will only go with the Reman, I'd probably not cloud the water by saying I'd pay the difference for new. However, my question is more for if I have to self pay.
Is the new engine with double the warranty worth $3000 more than a reman.?
If they deny this claim, I plan to fight them, but it will be uncharted waters for me, and will probably take too much time for me to wait to authorize a repair. My chance of winning, to be reimbursed should be just as good as if the MH was sitting broken. It could have easily been fixed in half the time they have taken just to make a decision. I think they need a psychiatrist to help with their indecisiveness .
It sure is great , knowing I have "Interstate Star", AKA Interstate National Dealer Services Inc, AKA, National Service Contract Insurance CO. RRG on my side, especially if I was broken down 2000 miles from home.
Anyone else have an ESP with any of those names? When you call at least 3 different 800 #'s , they answer with "You've reached the adminstrators office" so I guess that's another alias.
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max; since you drove the RV after the "big-bang", and since the people at the shop where your RV now is also started the engine, there is no doubt in my mind that the crank was not broken when you ran it. My guess is a piston failed first. Now you have pieces of piston thrashing around and the piston pin and rod bouncing off the cylinder wall. At some point, when the shop people were running it, the piston pin made solid contact, likly at the bottom of the cylinder, and at that point it stoped the engine dead in its tracks; breaking the crank. It may be just as well that the crank was broken as now there is no doubt you need a new engine. I would now talk to the State Insurance Commision and get them to prod your insurance Co. for some action.

JoeG

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Div of Insurance told me they don't have jurisdiction over warranties. They said to contact the State Attorney General . However, I tried again with the Insurance division but I called it an Extended Service Plan instead of an extended warranty. I also wrote the Attorney Generals Office and either wrote or called several attorneys trying to find one that will show a little interest.
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #12

Max,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. If it were my choice, I would go with the new engine @17k. The difference is really not that much, and the cost of transferring all the accessories, and making it work right could easily add up to the additional 5k for the new complete engine, especially if you have troubleshooting involved after the initial engine replacement.

I wish you the best, and hope you get this resolved quickly.

Bill
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just for grins I did a search and found a 2005 chevy 1 ton 8.1 allison 1000 tranny with 20K miles for $17,000.00 You know that might not be a bad deal and you get the allison to
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
... and either wrote or called several attorneys trying to find one that will show a little interest.
Even the attorneys know that it may be a tough road to hoe and not a sure thing. You could get them to talk to you; all it takes is a little grease which may be in short supply at the moment.