Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

What do you think this noise is coming from ?

Hello, today we took Hilda out for a stretch to keep everything lubricated, charged and so on while she is in storage for winter. We drove about 30 miles so everything was up to temperature but when I parked her I heard this noise from the engine area. To me it almost sounds like when a alternator is charging a lot of current. But maybe it' the belt tensioner ? What do you all think? Any personal experiences with this noise ?

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a bad bearing to me.

Mine was the A/C compressor bearing.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree ... it sounds like a bearing getting ready to go ... a small bearing. An alternator bearing, perhaps? \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Those types of noises are fairly easy to isolate. Any decent tech with a stethoscope can find it. The bearings associated with either the alternator, or the belt tensioner cost about $5. What I'm saying is this should not be an expensive fix. Don't let them talk you into something that you may not need. It all rests on finding a decent honest tech who will actually fix just what's wrong and not try to scam you.

If you have questions regarding the diagnosis don't hesitate to PM somebody or post again.

TeJay
Old 11-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #5

I would do the repair myself, since I was a mechanic in a past life. I do have a stethoscope and could place it on the alternator but I have to say from experience that noises travel and that method is not 100%.

Funny you say to replace just the bearing in the alternator, in the 80's we have several alternator / starter repair places in the area today we have none. I think the coast effectiveness went out the window when shop labor rates went over $125 a hour, it was less expensive to get a rebuilt alternator then the downtime of getting one rebuilt.

Thanks for your opinions and maybe a alternator is in our near future.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bug512,
I have often recommended that the forums come up with and use a scale so a poster could list their mechanical skills. Often a response is aimed at the zero level of understanding and not at the 8,9, or 10 experience level.
You are correct about the stethoscope. It can be troubling because sound travels. It usually does help to somewhat narrow down the field.
I also recognize that we just don't have the re-build shops that we use to. That said, the cost of re-built or new alternators has also sky rocketed. I'd probably replace the alternator also if that's where the noise is coming from or just re-build it my self.
It sounds like you've got the know how and skill to handle this problem. Best of luck with it.
To tell you the truth I couldn't hear any high pitched bearing noises on your video. But even when I was a young man I couldn't hear them. Even my hearing aids today don't help with that much.

TeJay
Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

To me it sounds like a pulley is rubbing on something right next to it. Loose pulley, or too much end play on alternator or water pump shaft?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a similar noise. The tensioner is on the bottom of the engine. I crawled under and hit it with belt dressing, the noise quit. I ordered a tensioner and a idler pulley. I got them today but haven't installed yet. The total for both was $122. There is another post further down "8.1 owners beware" that speaks to this,also.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Insted of a stethoscope try holding a rubber hose near the component. It's better at pin pointing the noise.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #10

Thanks everyone !
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

From my experience that sounds like the a/c compressor bearing starting to fail.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
From my experience that sounds like the a/c compressor bearing starting to fail.
Thanks again !

We will have to wait until spring (April) to investigate any further. We have a weekend trip (80 miles) planned, this is our make sure everything works trip then a 300 mile trip in May.

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to listen and comment.