RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What Octane do you run in your 8.1

Just curious as to what octane most of you run in your 8.1 and do you ever add fuel injector cleaner?
I run 87 min and occasionally a FI cleaner. Just to add some stations like Sams is not Top Tier.

2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Just curious as to what octane most of you run in your 8.1 and do you ever add fuel injector cleaner?
I run 87 min and occasionally a FI cleaner. Just to add some stations like Sams is not Top Tier.

I run 87 octane most of the time. It is what is specified by Workhorse. I have on several occasions used 85.5 octane gasoline that is available in some states at higher elevations. I have never had the need for a fuel additive in my 8.1. Top tier gasoline has no bearing on what gasoline I purchase. YMMV.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I noticed too in CO and UT they have 85.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Old 10-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #4

There has been a lot of misinformation about octane ratings over the years. One thought which comes to mind is, "higher octane gas produces more power". This is not true. Your engine was designed and tested using 87 octane fuel. Using a higher octane fuel will result in slower burning fuel and actually rob horsepower. If you have modified the engine and increased the compression ratio that is a whole different ballgame.
The higher octane fuel burning slower will create less heat in the engine. When this happens the on board computer will richen the air to fuel ratio and actually cause the gas mileage to drop.
The reason there are choices at the pump is there are higher compression engines out there which run more efficiently with the slower burning gasoline. The ignition timing runs more advanced on these engines to give the gas time to ignite and burn. These higher compression engines will require and benefit from higher octane gasoline.
Lynn
Old 10-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

87. Once or twice a year I'll run Techron total fuel system cleaner or Seafoam in a tank of gas at a slightly higher concentration than normal.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check this explanation out. I assume it is good information?

https://youtu.be/Bb5VfiFy0kY
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I run 87 octane most of the time. It is what is specified by Workhorse. I have on several occasions used 85.5 octane gasoline that is available in some states at higher elevations. I have never had the need for a fuel additive in my 8.1. Top tier gasoline has no bearing on what gasoline I purchase. YMMV.
Agree except that I always use 87 octane. Never have felt the need to use anything higher. I don't figure it's top tier but Murphy USA gasoline is pretty much our mainstay fuel for all the vehicles. I have never used fuel additives because I don't believe they'd do much except drain my wallet.