Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

What transmission fluid?

Sorry can’t really search for the answer. On the road and only have my phone. Starting to hit the hills near Nashville.
David needs to add some transmission fluid to our 2008 Adventurer. W24 2000 Series. What is the recommended fluid and what can we use if we can’t find that? Is that enough info so someone can answer?
Yup ~ we’re new here. Have mercy. We’re trying to escape 15 below back home!
Thanks
Cathy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #2

Hi David and welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks here to help each other.

I have the same transmission as you. It came originally with Allison Transynd full synthetic fluid. That is what I would add to mine if needed.

Normally, Allison automatic transmissions do not require adding fluid. Use a flashlight to look for fluid leakage around transmission. Be sure motorhome is perfectly level before checking dipstick. I change my Transynd fluid every 4-5 years. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Your owners manual will identify the fluid used in your transmission by spec number. Any brand with the same GM spec number is compatible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your owners manual will identify the fluid used in your transmission by spec number. Any brand with the same GM spec number is compatible.
No GM spec #, it's an Allison trans installed by Workhorse not one installed in a GM truck and there is a difference.

As mentioned it would have come with Allison Transynd. There are other Allison approved synthetic ATFs. Those meeting the Allison TES 295 spec would be the preferred ATF but probably not available at a local auto parts store. Truck service center should have one meeting that spec. Worst case if you're only adding a small amount you can use one meeting the TES 389 spec which will be easier to find.

Here is a link to the Allison approved ATFs.

On-Highway Fluids
Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Are you sure you are truly low? Those dip sticks are a little hard to get a good reading on.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

If your unit 2008 with the Allison Transmission My Workhorse Manual beginning
April 6 2005 transmissions change to TranSynd ATF.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

What tmw188 said....Last time I changed, I am thinking 3 maybe 4 time
I went with Mobil 1 syn. tran. fluid. It meets the Allison spec. TES 295.
coopcot
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, transmission