Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
What's The Percentage of Units w/Brake Problems?

Seems we're reading a lot about the brake caliper failures on the Workhorse chassis. Just wondering if anyone has an estimate on what percentage of units are having problems?
Don and Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If you look at the total production to the reported failures it is probably less than 1%.

But, it must be enough to get NHTSA to "recommend" a recall be done. Therefore this is a "voluntary" recall by Workhorse and "not mandated" by NHTSA.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would agree with Oemy's assessment. We don't often hear quite as much from owners that are not having problems.

Bad News has traveled half way around the world while good news hasn't even put its boots on.

There is a recall out and it is expected that whatever is wrong with the brakes at the moment will be resolved in the very near term.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Last Friday I was on a limited access 4 lane not far from my home. Came upon a class A motorhome parked on the berm. I pulled over to see if he needed any help. Coach was a 2004 Suncruiser 38R on a W22 chassis. A lot of motorhome for the W22. He was headed to a campground about 100 miles away for the long Labor Day weekend.

He told me his right front brake was looked up. The wheel was very hot and he was pouring water over the brake assembly. I told him about the NHTSA Workhorse brake recall. He had not heard of it and apparently he was not an active internet user.

I told him to wait until the brake cooled and he should be OK to resume his trip. I also told him that his brake fluid may have boiled and he should have it checked and probably change it. I mentioned using his transmission along with his brakes to slow the coach.

He was towing a car so wasn't completely stranded. I did not stay but in hindsight I wish I would have asked him for his name and phone number so I could have spoken with him further. He did tell me he was from the Apollo, PA area.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Tom, I think you did well in recommending your plan to the unfortunate owner.

For other folks, please don't soak a hot brake caliper with water, Allow it to cool naturally. it might take an hour or more. Here's an idea. Crank up your generator and use an electric fan if you want to to help cool the caliper. You can actually jack up the front of your motorhome and spin the tire by hand. As soon as that happens you should be good to go.

Remember if you can to call, Roadside Assistance and get on record as having a seizure failure, including date, time and location and which wheel seized.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
If you look at the total production to the reported failures it is probably less than 1%.

But, it must be enough to get NHTSA to "recommend" a recall be done. Therefore this is a "voluntary" recall by Workhorse and "not mandated" by NHTSA.
That sounds very amusing to me. It seems more like maybe 99% on this forum have had brakes sticking and overheating. The other 1% probably will eventualy if they keep the MH.

If this is really a voluntary recall, why did they waste so much taxpayer money for years before they 'volunteered to recall the brakes.
Also if this is really a 'Voluntary' recall, it blows my theory that they will not do any more than they absolutely have to.

Where did we hear that Workhorse volunteered to recall the brakes from?

I thought the NTSA had "spoken"
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

Max,

Of course the number with problems will be high here especially when you don't have the number of non-problem users of this forum. Your comparing apples and oranges.

If NHTSA doesn't mandate the recall then it is voluntary. I can't make any simpler.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would guess that if lubing the pin slides and changing the brake fluid every year had been in the owners manual and inexperianced drivers would have been informed of proper braking procedures there would be a lot less brake problems. This is somthing the drivers in the US are not use to and most (other than oil changes) drive there cars untill they brake down and then have them repaired. With most european cars annual brake inspection and fluid change is required maintanance.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I would guess that if lubing the pin slides and changing the brake fluid every year had been in the owners manual and inexperianced drivers would have been informed of proper braking procedures there would be a lot less brake problems. This is somthing the drivers in the US are not use to and most (other than oil changes) drive there cars untill they brake down and then have them repaired. With most european cars annual brake inspection and fluid change is required maintanance.
Agreed, PM on a RV is key. But, this not JUST a PM issue. Phenolic caliper pistons have been a problem since the late 60's. It's more a design issue or "bean counter" issue as I see it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I would guess that if lubing the pin slides and changing the brake fluid every year had been in the owners manual and inexperienced drivers would have been informed of proper braking procedures there would be a lot less brake problems.
speed racer, Yes I agree. The devil is in the details. All that is offered is that brake maintenance should be performed at 24,000 miles.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont know the % but my last look at the nhtsa site states over 50,000 wh chassis are affected in recall. I cant imagine any mfg not doing a recall when nhtsa states there should be one. Can you imagine if nhtsa recommended a recall on brakes and mfg says no and a major accident happens. WOW. As always, that last statement is just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Max,

"Of course the number with problems will be high here especially when you don't have the number of non-problem users of this forum. Your comparing apples and oranges."

I did'nt know I was comparing anything. But apples and lemons sounds more appropriet. So the phenolic pistons are fine on 99% of MHs?

"If NHTSA doesn't mandate the recall then it is voluntary. I can't make any simpler.
"

Hmm, I did'nt know that. You mean the NTSA investigated these brakes for 4 years and then for no reason, out of the blue, WH just voluntarily decided it would recall and replace and possibly reimburse owners for prior repairs just out of the goodness of their heart, and the 4 year investigation had nothing to do with it? If so, that is amazing.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Kim View Post
Seems we're reading a lot about the brake caliper failures on the Workhorse chassis. Just wondering if anyone has an estimate on what percentage of units are having problems?

I would bet that someone with a good background in statistical analysis with some additional information could come up with a fairly accurate number or percentage of total brake problems based on the information given here vrs. total population of WH users.

I think NATHSA has applied the math formulas to come up with an answer.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #14

Max,

No, Workhorse did not "just out of the blue" decide to do a recall. I would SUSPECT that after all of the testing of the brakes, analyzing the results, analyzing consumer reports, etc Workhorse opted to do a voluntary recall rather than a forced recall.