Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking Where is the PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH RELAY Please? 2003 P32

The Workhorse Service Manual Vol 1 of 4, on pp 5-165 under "Component Locator" places the relay "Above the engine mounted to the RH side of the driver's island"

I can't find it outside or inside. Needles to say the "driver's island" disappeared as the MH was build.

It is part of the auto-park circuit and appears to be stuck in the NC position. The Pull Button Switch works fine, but the relay does not open when the shift lever is in the park position. The back-up lights work, so the fuse to the PNP (Park/Neutral Position And Backup Lamps) switch is OK.

Were is the relay hiding??
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post
Were is the relay hiding??
Gary, Have you tried Old User Bear?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi DriVer
Thanks for the lead. I E-mailed olduserbear a copy of my post to the address he gave in his posting.
Gary
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Hi DriVer
Thanks for the lead. I E-mailed olduserbear a copy of my post to the address he gave in his posting.
Gary, Good luck. Central SC ?? Columbia?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Relay found

Hi DriVer
Yes I am outside Central SC.
The relay was found taped to a wire harness on the left side between the dog house opening and the radiator. It was basically invisible. It was chased down with a tone-wire-chaser-probe.
It was replaced and now I can engage or disengage the parking brake with not just the pull button, but also the Park/Neutral position on the gear selector mounted on the steering wheel column.
The picture is the approximate original location with the new relay before it is secured. The original unit was mounted upside down and filled with water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Approx orig hanging location.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	19114  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
The original unit was mounted upside down and filled with water.
Referencing your picture, there's no doubt that you found it in this condition. Good job! I hope this situation remains resolved for you long term.

If you're coming out to "da beach" give me a holler!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Final installation

The picture shows the replacement PARK/NEUTRAL SHIFT relay mounted right side up on the original wire harness with tape and pull-tie strap so water will not collect inside.
Because this relay was originally mounted upside down it could be called the BAT RELAY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Realay Mounted Right Side Up.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	19143  
Old 09-25-2020, 11:40 PM   #8

thank you for posting this. I know this is many years later but I have just had this same problem so up. As I am on the road and everything is working fine with just using the push/pull knob I want to fix this but will need to look for this relay. Do you remember the part number of the one you used? Mine is a 2002 and most likely is the same thing. I am out in the sticks and was wondering if you had any trouble driving like this until you fixed this.
Thank you
Toklat
Toklat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Park Relay

It had no effect on anything else. But remember that the RV will roll when you put it into Park. The manual pull button must always be used.
The relay came from a regular automotive store. You must remove it and compare it with what is hanging on the display at the store.
It has been so long ago that I do not remember any more details, and to much of a hassle to remove the doghouse and all the custom attachments.
Being in a remote place, I would examine the relay thoroughly, maybe it is fixable. Use a cheap multimeter to check its contacts and coil, along with free travel.
The best to you
Gary
Old 09-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #10

Angry

This is good. Just browsing through and happened upon this. My RGS failed last week on the road and then the J71 failed so I had to disable the parking brake completely. The shift lever lock detent also failed so I don't know if those are related or not. I will pull the entire J71 unit out to work on it. I have already contacted Ultra RV so I will be contacting them again shortly so they can lighten my pocket book.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not sure what all the initials mean, but I had to replace the switch on the pump and another time the switch on the piston hydraulics. Also the piston leaked to the point where I had to completely undo a cotter pin in the linkage on the left side on the brake linkage to release the brake, and drive to the nearest campground. There I unbolted only the hydraulic cylinder, not the spring pack, paid a fellow camper to drive me to a hydraulics/seals outlet and obtained another piston seal. It was all doable with normal tools, but is a bit taxing because it is underneath. The hydraulic jacks paid off and with all four tires of the ground, it became roomy.

The 30ft 2003 Sightseer is now retired in our yard with 180,000 mi and serves as a dog grooming room for my wife and food storage during the Covid disaster. It still runs great in all respects but was a bit cramped for apparel storage, counter space and food storage.
We are now using a roomier35 ft 2004 Sightseer with 45,000 mi and two pull-outs. It has a solid front axel chassis and a real great transmission with a conventional parking claw, and a foot operated parking brake. A real relief from the problematic hydraulic park brake.
The hydraulic switches are obtainable from GMpartsdirect.com real cheap. The GM numbers were on my switches.
The best to you
Old 09-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #12

RGS= rotten green switch and J71 is the model number of the brake unit.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:31 AM   #13

Finished my repair on the park brake. It was the relay and it was on my coach exactly where Garyspang showed it on his coach.

Thanks again
The relay was Omron 12077866 and the replacement is a GM 13500126. It is a small relay.

Thanks for all the responses from other members. When you are out of town it is good to be able to work out any problems you might have with other RV members.
Toklat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #14

RGS

Thinking that, long ago, it was Old Used Bear who coined the name Rotten Green Switch. Hello again to all my old friends at iRV2. If I pick up a class C I've been looking at I'll probably be posting at the Winnebago forums. The old Allegro 31IA hasn't been safe to drive for a long time. Anyone driving one yet needs to be pulling a toad with good brakes.