Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #15

I have about 40K miles on my 30 foot Brave 21,000 gross weight Winnebago. In Alaska we have more hills than flat land and the transmission overheats, has little downgrade (engine brake) capabilities even when not towing. We have flat towed a Suzuki without much difficulty, however I am really concerned about towing up to the maximum hitch capacity, 5,000 lbs. Also the L485E 21,000 lb max does not have a parking pawl (requires the hydraulic Auto Brake) and 3 gears with an overdrive, with a long stretch between 2nd and 3rd. The Allison as I understand has a 26000 lb gross capacity an increase of 5,000 lbs, has a parking pawl, 4 gears with an overdrive, fairly even gear ranges, reasonable engine brake capabilities, and generally a stronger unit. There may some issues with the Allison, but as I understand the differences the upgrade is worth the effort since I like the coach. However generally I believe that the Workhorse Chassis as a whole is under designed. The P32 was Cheap, as witnessed by the development of the W20/W22 chassis, with the 8.1/Allison 1000.
AKRvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 2004 Sightseer 27C with the same goodies as you. It ran OK. Noisy as the dog house was not well insulated. Could have used some steering upgrades. Did OK going up and down steep grades......but I am glad we have our Dolphin. Lots better.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have that same combination. We paid $3500.00 extra over the ford chasse to get the Workhorse thinking we would get the Allison transmission and as we had ordered it we didn't realize that we would not get the Allison transmission and when it came it was to late. We live and learn. Although the 4 speed transmission does work ok.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #18

Thanks for the responses. I hope that someone has exchanged the transmission, changed gear ratios or something mystical that will help this chassis so I don't become the trailblazer. Most folks simply change MH's but I am not excited about trying to sell in this competitive market. Makes more sense to me to exchange transmissions. Workhorse has already coupled the 8.1 to the Allison so it can't be rocket science.

Thanks again for your responses.

Lee 2003 Winnebago Brave 30
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRvier View Post
Thanks for the responses. I hope that someone has exchanged the transmission, changed gear ratios or something mystical that will help this chassis so I don't become the trailblazer. Most folks simply change MH's but I am not excited about trying to sell in this competitive market. Makes more sense to me to exchange transmissions. Workhorse has already coupled the 8.1 to the Allison so it can't be rocket science.

Thanks again for your responses.

Lee 2003 Winnebago Brave 30
That may have been true in the past, but with today's computer controlled drivetrains, getting the right wiring harnesses and software that can speak the same language ain't gonna be easy, or cheap. If it was, an upfitter like BRAZEL would have already come up with a "kit for that".

If you want to learn more about what all may be involved, I suggest you call Jon Brazel, or contact them thru their website.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #20

05 Itasca 29R going on 55,000 miles. We put 21,000 on it in the last two years. (Retired now!) We just love our unit! I found if I let up just a tad on the throttle when it downshifts that it will not shift all the way to Direct drive but will go into the direct with torque converter lock up and that will keep the RPM's down "till it needs to shift down further. I'm wanting to research if there is an adjustment that can be made for it to shift more progressively when down shifting from overdrive lockup. The upshifts are all nice and smooth.
RFFJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought out 2004 Sightseer 27C with the 8.1L engine and 4L85E tranny new in Nov 2004. We are now approaching 90,000 miles and have had no engine or tranny problems at all. The going up steep grades is slow but we get there.
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #22

I have a 2002 34' damon with that combo, had it for 3 years put on 18,000 miles. 30000 miles total. Have had to replace steering parts, installed rear track bar, and a few problems with the autopark brake. I get a consistent 8 mpg with small toad, just put new tires on it. Overall very happy with coach plan on keeping for 5-10 more years.
DMB4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #23

Just doing a quick search (because I did not know the gear ratios) does not show a significant improvement in OD gear ratios between the 5 speed Allison and 4 speed GM. The 4 speed is 1:1 in 3rd and .75:1 in 4th while the Allison is 1:1 in 4th and .71:1 in 5th. Not a difference that would likely do any benefit. However in town driving would be improved on take off due to the lower gear ratios in the Allison. The 6 speed has a .61:1 ratio in 6th gear. The Allison would likely need a different trans cross member, drive shaft mods, new wiring harness for the transmission, and transmission controller. I do not know if GM incorporates the transmission functions in the engine PCM but in Medium duty trucks the TCM is stand alone. Likely new shifter assembly and cable would be needed. Unless this is something you really really really want and has plenty of time on your hands I say just enjoy the GM transmission and go traveling.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #24

Smile

Thanks again for all of the responses. They are very enlightening. I also have researched the gear ratios, and GCW of either transmission. As noted the out of the hole gears for the Allison are much lower 3.10 vs 2.48, and the mid gears 2 to 4 in the Allison are about the same as the GM 2 to 3 gears. I feel that the mid range gears are the most important for highway hill climbing. The OD is good for gas milage on flat ground when its available. The GCW is also important to me. The GM is rated to 18,000 lbs, 22,000 lbs towing, and the Allison 1000 series m74,mb7,and md1 are also rated to 22,000. The difference being the GM relies on the Auto Brake, where the Allison has a park pawl. The Allison 2000 series mtx and mb8 are rated to 26,000lbs and also has a park pawl, and the mty is rated for 33,000 lbs. Engine braking is also an important aspect of this swap, and Allison is reported to be much better, without extreme heat build up. I have asked an Allison technician about a swap, and he is looking into it. Regarding the controls, GM has mated both the 1000 and 2000 series to the 8.1 engine in various truck configurations so we shouldn't be re-inventing too much, and when and if done it wont be cheep, but maybe cheaper then replacing MH's. I don't have time on my hands and do a lot of mechanical tinkering, I am just trying to improve the winnebago for my application, which will probably include brakes, suspension, tires, and perhaps the axle ratios, some of which has already been accomplished through maintenance and repair.