Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #29

I use it in the MH and also in all my engines that sit for a while. My lawn tractor and mowers in winter and snow blower in summer, etc...You need to run the genny more often to freshen fuel in carb and rest of the fuel system.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
Let me elaborate on my first post. We are Fulltimers and our motorhome is setup for living. It is somewhat difficult to just fire it up and drive it around for a couple of miles once a month. Everything has to be put away, unhooked, and retracted, then set all back up when we are done. Those that simply say drive it around once a month, it’s not that easy. I do start it twice a month and run it until it has come up to full operating temperature (usually about 15 minutes). I run it through all gears a couple of times and pump the brakes a few times also.
The generator also gets started the same time and I run both airs on max for 15 minutes. We are setup in Arizona and I top off the tank before parking it so moisture in the tank is not a big concern. Since I do run it twice a month I am not to concerned about carbs and injectors (fuel system) getting gummed up. My main concern is the fuel breaking down in the tank.
Post's 18 through 22 should cover it for you Fulltimers.
Its best not to run your engine while parked for any length of time add the Stabil and a full tank before setting up for stay where you park.
Also run the Gen when you arrive to bring in the Stabil to Gen and at least once a month to exercise the AC's.
Not sure how often you break camp and reset up but if you time your oil and lube times with it you will have fresh lubes for your next trip and in engine for your stay.
With synthetic oils you can get at least 5000 miles between trips so once a year would cut it.
Its what I do every winter for 6 months coach engine at rest and Gen exercised every month.
This has not been covered in the Winterizing threads I will add it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use it in my lawn mower, leaf blower, chain saw and pressure washer. Otherwise no.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exercising Generator

Seeing how the Mod already hijacked this thread I will add that someone should have told my 20 year old generator that it should be ran once a month as it never was, sometimes only once a year, and then did run for up to 6 days straight during a major storm. Then irregularly for another 10 years. Guess what it doesn't know is just for the better good.

Is this once a month sugestion a little anal? Or, is it due to different designs in the chinese market? Or what?

I am open minded, but a known successful past practice is very hard to ignore.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I am told the reason for running the genny once a month is to keep corrosion from building on the slip rings. If corrosion builds you will get no AC output from your genny. This is not an engine function but more a generator function. Since I reside mostly in Arizona where the air is dryer than most areas this is not as important for my genny.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything

All engines receive stabil. I mix 5 G for the 2 stroke or 4 stroke stuff, and the MH gets it when it gets parked for longer then a month. Gotta do it, its to inexpensive not to.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two answers to the O/P's question

First: Today the answer is no.. We full time and never store it.

Second: Back before we went Full time. YES I did, and it worked great. To date I have had one engine problem on this 2005, Some critter snacked on a couple of wires.

That's been it. Workhorse 8.1L Vortec (GM) engine.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
As many suggestions as coaches. i think you are doing fine with your plan. I also use a full time setup for several years at a time. Gas gets stalbilizer, genny runs once a month under load, coach runs once a month or so until temps are up for awhile and about once every 6 mos or so the wife and i break camp and excerise the coach for a weekend. Might not be to everyones standard, but I can tell you I have no problems with coach or genny. Still waiting on finishing up and getting ON THE ROAD>>>>
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never have experienced a need for it in my motorhome or generator,have never had a problem with lawnmower, edger, weedwacker etc. either. Motorhome sits for 5-6 months each winter, I try to start and run it and the generator monthly and let them run for 1/2 hour or so. Lawn equipment sits for 5 months annually. The Honda mower always starts on the first pull of the rope, its a 1987 model. I reside in NW Montana.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a combination of Sta-Bil and Seafoam. The percentage of Seafoam is generally a leftover from the running season; the Sta-Bil is generally my lay-up additive.

I like to keep Seafoam in the system primarily for the jenny. I run the jenny about every 2-3 weeks for an hour under at least 50% load (electric space heater usually). Not really an original thought; Onan operators' manual recommends that regimen when the jenny isn't going to be run regularly for hotel power service.

And I always have some Seafoam in my lawn mower, snowblower and motorcycle.

Just my .02
Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't use it in the MH, as here in SoCal we use it year round, usually at least monthly. However do use it in gas cans for the emergency generator, the lawn tractor off-season, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #40

Star-Tron Fuel Enzyme

I have used Star-tron since I purchased my motorhome in 2007 (boaters have used this product for years) and it works as advertized! It has many qualities like Increasing Power, Improving Fuel Economy, Reducing Emissions, Cleaning Injectors, Cleaning the Fuel Delivery System and Combustion Chambers Of Carbon Deposits, stabilizes Microbial Growth In Diesel Fuel, Stabilizes Fuel, removes Water In Fuel and helps E-10 Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline.

Its worth checking out the link...

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

2006 National "Dolphin", 35', W22
GT Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #41

Diesel fuel stabilizer question

The posts I'm reading here all appear to deal with gasoline engines. Does anyone have any thoughts on stabilizers for diesel. I'm running a 360 hp Mercedes Diesel in a recently purchased 2007 Tiffin Phaeton. Generator runs off same fuel tank as engine so same question applies to it.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Golfwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfwannabee View Post
The posts I'm reading here all appear to deal with gasoline engines. Does anyone have any thoughts on stabilizers for diesel. I'm running a 360 hp Mercedes Diesel in a recently purchased 2007 Tiffin Phaeton. Generator runs off same fuel tank as engine so same question applies to it.

Thanks for the thoughts.
There's a Sta-bil for diesel. I've never owned a diesel, but I have used Sta-bil in all my boats, generators, stored fuel, etc. for years with no problems.
kazeej is offline   Reply With Quote