Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Why Are Oil Changes So Expensive?

New to MH ownership here. I knew MH maintenance could be costly and I couldn't do everything myself, but why does oil/filter change cost $120-150?? What do they do, if anything, that I couldn't do by changing it myself? I have changed oil myself on my cars and motorcycles, as well as other, more involved, items.

I haven't yet looked to find the location of the oil filter on my '05 W22. Maybe that presents a unique problem, but otherwise I'm going to set up for DIY on this part of the maintenance. Any warnings about that?

Thanks,
Ron
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

How much oil does engine hold?
What type/cost is oil?
What dies oil filter cost....and it's ease of removal/installation?
How easy is it to get to oil drain plug?
How/where do you discard old oil/filter?

I have paid $89 to $129 for oil change service when we were FT traveling...different shops/locales.
And each and every time I stopped and said to myself.........I am not having to crawl around under there, I am not having to get dirty, I am not having to lug old stuff around and find place to discard.....I am NOT etc

Now that we are not FTng........local dealer has monthly special... costs me $49 (3 gallons of Rotella and oil filter)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagaron View Post
New to MH ownership here. I knew MH maintenance could be costly and I couldn't do everything myself, but why does oil/filter change cost $120-150?? What do they do, if anything, that I couldn't do by changing it myself? I have changed oil myself on my cars and motorcycles,
Ron
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Ron
I can't think of any good reason you can't change the oil and oil filter on your coach yourself.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gasser. Easy and cost effective to DIY. Imho. Go for it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2qt quality oil filter and synthetic oil less than half of the $120. There are lots of parts stores where you can dump the used oil for free. Grease guns are inexpensive as well as a good quality grease.

It's also easier to access than most cars and light trucks.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I change mine myself every 3000 miles, oil and filter cost me about $35. I have it lubed once a year and that costs me $20 to $30. Change the air filter as needed.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

Oil changes (I won't do it myself) run $50-60 at Ford Fast Lane or even full service commercial division at Apple Valley Ford (MN). (Ford v10 E450). Brake work, any type of chassis work is what kills my budget.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

You might try Ford Quick Lane. My Quick Lane has a 12 foot door so the Hurricane just fits. They don't have a lift but use a jack and jack stands. I get "The Works" for $49. They offer to rotate the tires also but I refuse that. They check the coolant level, brake fluid level, brake pad wear and add WW fluid also. They also carry several types of 245/70-19.5 tires. I bought my spare from them for less than $300 mounted and balanced.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
An oil change on a W22 chassis is easier than on my Honda Civic and Dodge Dakota

Do it yourself and save some money
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the OP's Workhorse...
The 8.1L V8 has a standard and high capacity oil filter...that's the only decision that makes it different from a simple light pick-up service.

Oil change capacity is just about 6 quarts, so the standard 5 quart bottle is just short.
We've used full synthetic oil and the standard oil filter since "new-to-us".
Lube is just a collection of zerk fittings.

There is no reason it cannot be a DIY job, but fitting an RV in a JiffyLube bay obviously won't work. So $100 would be no surprise for a truck service center.

Best luck and Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
I have the 8.1 Workhorse and change my own oil. Autozone sells everything I need and when I done, they take all my old oil and filter for free. Makes it real nice. Easy job for a DIY. Nothing special about a Chevy engine.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
tcg

I have a Ford E350 and just had the oil changed on Saturday at my local Valvoline place.

I paid 100 bucks for some 6 buck per quart synthetic blend and two over priced wiper blades.

That place was the only joint that said they could get my Class C into their bay but when I got there the owner said he didn't want to attempt it because the last rv damaged their siding on the way out because he wasn't very good at driving.

They changed the oil in the parking lot in about 15 minutes which means I could quite easily do it in my driveway cheaper.

Cheaper until I spill the oil or strip the plug or screw up the filter or some other bone head move. Not to mention carting the oil somewhere to dispose of it would probablly result in some mess somewhere.

100 bucks to sit in my rv while a nice polite knowledgeable young man (there was also a very nice young lady there changing oil) did the dirty work while I stayed clean is well worth it to me.

I was so impressed with the guy I gave him a nice tip.

I guess we all value our time, energy, and willingness to get dirty differently.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have always changed my own oil and filter on every car I ever owned.

The easiest of them all is my Workhorse. I installed a Fumoto drain valve so it's really simple.

I also change my transmission fluid and spin-on filter because it is simple too.

I raise the front of my coach with the levelers, put two jackstands under the axle and drain into a container than our trash company takes and disposes of.

Costs me about $8.00 for the PF454 filter and about $50 for 7 quarts of Extended Mobile One Synthetic oil.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #14

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds as though it's as easy as it looks. Got underneath today and found the filter. With the clearance it is definitely easier to get to than most cars. I could save the cost of a tank of gas (well, most of one) going DIY.

Air filter is easy to reach, too.

Good tip on the Fumoto drain plug. What size/type of Fumoto works?

Ron