Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #85

Most brake problems are on coaches without the grade brake because the grade brake is fairly new, given time these would show the same issues as will the Fords as they get older.Grade brake may prevent some from abusing their brakes but these calipers are not suited for this application and nothing will change that but new calipers. Great selling point though

I am in no way knocking this product, I think it is a good idea. But it will not cure the brake issue, wish I could afford it.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #86

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazels RV Performance View Post
Quit complaining and go get your FREE brake inspection if you have a problem
Mike if WH would offer to its customers effected by the recall a FREE brake inspection I would think the many who are concerned would take them up on it. But instead on the WH website it states that if you want your brakes inspected it is at your cost. It would be a nice way for HW to support their customers, a little piece of mined goes along way and the complaining would probably stop for many. BTW nice plug for your Grade Brake.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #87
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I didn't say the Grade Brake would eliminate the problem, what I said was we don't have hardly any issue's on coaches with the Grade Brake. Starting in 2005 chassis year the Grade Brake was standard equipment, so 5 years of coaches would have had an issue by now in comparison to the first recall. Since the first recall repairs were in 2004, at that time those coaches were only 4 years old.

Workhorse pays my shop 1 hour for a brake inspection. Here are the rules: 1st if all four wheels have an issue I bill them straight for the repairs and not for an inspection, because I already have the wheels off & no reason to double dip. 2nd If we remove the wheels and we find absolutey nothing wrong with your braking system you would have to pay for it. So if you are not having an issue, just wait for the recall parts to be distributed. If you are having a problem Workhorse will pay to have it repaired. Our Grade Brake is an awesome product & reduces the stress of driving and enhances your RVing experience! Now I have plugged my product
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDork View Post
  • First, drive your coach a lot...
  • Second, Maintain your coach like a UPS truck.
  • Third, Exercise proper braking techniques to prevent
I think you hit the nail right on the head!

I am confident that the new phenolic formulation will improve our ownership experience and it should go a long way in leveling the playing field. The new pistons/calipers will meet the needs of the average RV'er who are normally inclined to infrequent use and lack of maintenance in regard to the sticking pistons.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #89

I must have missed that lecture on "Using your MH". I thought when you bought any item it was up to the owner to use it as he sees fit. Now you are advising people to take their MH's out and drive them like a UPS truck? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Most people can't even store their MH on their property and have to use storage to keep them. Most people have other lives to contend with instead of abusing a MH every day. I went to the WH brake site and looked up ASC to get on a list to have my MH repaired when the recall comes. Two of the three no longer work on WH as agents and the third said I was number 200. If you want to see a good recall check out Norcold.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #90

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
You guys should really be directing the anger and resentment at Basch they are the one's dragging thier feet. It is costing Workhorse everytime an "interim repair" is done, not Bosch, they are still selling the "interim Repair" calipers to Workhorse in order to get those coaches back on the road.

When lawyers & liabilty insurance companies are involved, things tend to take longer. If you have current issue's with YOUR Workhorse,I urge you to take it in and have them inspected, Workhorse will pay for this & the repairs due to hanging calipers.

Sure a guy can make a caliper piston in his machine shop....But what if your fluid boils and you completely lose you brakes? Will he pay for the accident? 90% of the time the caliper hangs & slows the vehicle, this is a much better scenario than losing your brakes all together. I have a Workhorse also, so I am waiting just as you are. I think any 2001-2005 needs a Grade brake, because most of our "interim repairs" are done on coaches WITHOUT a Grade Brake.

Quit complaining and go get your FREE brake inspection if you have a problem
First,I dont think anyone who is having a brake problem, is concerned about the delay of the recall or is concerned if the "fix" will work this time, or just would like to give his/her opinion is complaining. Thats what makes it interesting. Second, wh will only pay for the insp is the shop states there is a problem. So put the dice in one hand and your wallet in the other and roll the dice. Now, Bosch couldnt fix or investigate a brake problem that didnt exsist, at least according to wh. It took wh how many years for them to admit there is a problem? A couple of years IMO. So if Im a company,like bosch, that produces a product, like a brake caliper, and the company that uses my product, like wh, doesnt tell me there is a problem, Im going to keep on trucking with my production of the product. Now if I find out a couple of years later that there is and has been a problem, Im already a couple of years behind the eight ball on finding out the solution. So IMO, I dont think this is a bosch problem for the delay, Ya cant fix what ya dont know is broke. As far as The grade brake, If someone wants one, more power to em. We all like these little gadgets we can buy for our mh's but I dont think It works under normal driving conditions such as flat highways, normal stop and go, ect. I think if I can ever get brakes on my mh and I drive in the mountains I will just lift my right hand up to the shifter and shift like I've done my whole life without any problems and save, myself alot of money. To each its on I guess. But I guess with all these brake problems it makes it easier to sell the grade brake although I think most of the failures are happening in stop and go traffic and the grade brake doesnt work in those conditions.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
Now you are advising people to take their MH's out and drive them like a UPS truck? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
inspectorudy, According to the folks that really know this product, the best advice is "Drive it like you stole it!" Now if that doesn't sit well with you, I can understand that. I wouldn't worry so much about was was written about UPS trucks, it was only a paraphrase.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #92

Driver, That may be sound advice for a faulty product but It reminds me of the old water ski boats where the boat drain plug at the bottom of the transom could easily be forgotten and left out. As long as you kept the boat moving forward it was great and the boat stayed dry. But when you stopped or slowed down the boast would fill with water and sink if you had gotten out. Later boats came with a one way valve that accomplished the same dry boat but without the sinking part. Right now we can either go fast and often or sink. I never owned a $100,000 ski boat.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
Driver, That may be sound advice for a faulty product .... Right now we can either go fast and often or sink..
inspectorudy, Nobody is suggesting that you break any speed limits or laws of nature by running your vehicle like its a heavy Class 6 truck (which it is) however what I have always been told about motorhomes is "Use it or loose it!" I took the kid gloves off a long time ago. If I'm doing something wrong after 85,000 miles I have not seen where it has broken anything. Our good friend Ed is coming home from California and he's running hard and has already spun over 95,000 miles. I'm sure you will see little sympathy from him as well for his motorhome chassis because he runs his vehicle like he stole it! We were talking about it on the phone while he was Eastbound on the I10.

There's nothing faulty here after 7 years and 10s of thousands of miles run hard. You just have to remember when you ride it hard not to put it away wet.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #94

These calipers are not suited for RV use and over time they will fail the average user. If you have the time and money, or your travel is expence is covered by your employer, you will be able to put many more miles on them before they fail but eventually they probably will.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #95
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Thumbs up Bosch

JDSR,

Actually if you do a search, Bosch had a similar issue with thier calipers on Monaco Roadmaster chassis back in the late 90's. So you can't tell me they didn't know about it. We were doing those recall's for Monaco's and they would not include parts very often, mostly just lubing the calipers. And then we had the first issue in 2004 on the W series, where Bosch told Workhorse to have us just lubricate the Calipers. Well that didn't work out too well, so Workhorse got thier own engineer's involved in researching the problem. Workhorse then paid to have brakes repaired at that time again waiting for Bosch to rectify the issue. Workhorse had to go to court to get thier money back from Bosch. So now you have a little more information, so you are better informed JDSR

My point about the inspection's is the same, if YOU are having a brake issue with YOUR Workhorse, take it in and Workhorse will cover it. If YOU are NOT having a brake problem, the calipers will be available soon. Bosch has to build up enough calipers to cover atleast half of the effected chassis before they can release them.

Driver,

85,000 miles.....Awesome
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #96

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
J....... Bosch had a similar issue with thier calipers on Monaco Roadmaster chassis back in the late 90's. So you can't tell me they didn't know about it. We were doing those recall's for Monaco's and they would not include parts very often, mostly just lubing the calipers. And then we had the first issue in 2004 on the W series, where Bosch told Workhorse to have us just lubricate the Calipers. Well that didn't work out too well........

I hope WH/Bosch has good attorneys!

Of course they do, what am I thinking?
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #97
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Myth,

Why did you have an accident?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #98

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Myth,

Why did you have an accident?
Not, me....I'm just a spectator and armchair quarterback.

But I'm sure someone has (even if they have not; they can make the claim)

...or has suffered financial loss as a result of this issue..

You just nailed the technical facts...
  • Brake problems known about since the 90's
  • Previous recall attempts ineffective
  • Second round of problems starting in 2004
  • No resolution as of today

Financial facts
  • Many users paid out of pocket for diagnosis and repairs (direct financial damages)
  • Many users unable to use vehicles (loss of use damages)
  • Many users "frightened" and "stressed" while using their MH (mental anguish damages)

Adds up to awarded damages to me... <shrug> but what do I know?
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote