Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Why?

My W24 Adventurer, with under 30k miles, had significant tail wag when I bought it. It had brand new tires. I weighed it. The tires were inflated to the proper pressure. When semis approached and passed me the bow wake they created would upset my chassis.

I drive in the right lane at around 63mph or less. I get passed by a lot of semis. I have well over 50,000 miles behind the wheel of a motorhome on all different types of highways and roads. I know what it feels like when a chassis is upset by wind striking the rear of the coach. The very long rear overhang on my coach attribute to the problem. The coach was almost dangerous to drive in certain road and traffic conditions

I installed an Ultra Trac rear track bar and there is no more tail wag. No more sawing at the wheel as semis pass. Regardless of road conditions or semi traffic the coach is straight and true now at highway speeds.

My Adventurer needed a rear track bar. Many coaches dont. Mine did.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
My W24 Adventurer, with under 30k miles, had significant tail wag when I bought it. It had brand new tires. I weighed it. The tires were inflated to the proper pressure. When semis approached and passed me the bow wake they created would upset my chassis.

I drive in the right lane at around 63mph or less. I get passed by a lot of semis. I have well over 50,000 miles behind the wheel of a motorhome on all different types of highways and roads. I know what it feels like when a chassis is upset by wind striking the rear of the coach. The very long rear overhang on my coach attribute to the problem. The coach was almost dangerous to drive in certain road and traffic conditions

I installed an Ultra Trac rear track bar and there is no more tail wag. No more sawing at the wheel as semis pass. Regardless of road conditions or semi traffic the coach is straight and true now at highway speeds.

My Adventurer needed a rear track bar. Many coaches dont. Mine did.

Thanks.

Momma said learn something every day so now mine is good in the RV world!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #17

I will be driving the coach shortly, I will watch how it feels.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I will be driving the coach shortly, I will watch how it feels.
You won't likely feel much or any tail wag unless you're traveling at highway speeds with some semi traffic passing you. Same thing goes for hardness over bridge expansions and road damage. Unless you are on the interstate hwy system it's likely to drive and handle very nicely.

On our Itasca 35U, I have every handling, suspension, steering and engine/exhaust mod available for the coach short of a turbo. That motorhome is on a whole different level as far as motorhome performance and handling goes. When we bought the Adventurer last year I drove it from DC to Indianapolis. It was almost frightening to drive on some parts of I70. I installed the Ultra Trac and it became a whole different motorhome, much improved. It doesn't handle or perform nearly as well as our Itasca but it is greatly improved from stock. I have about 5000 miles on it now with the rear track bar. Next I will install a Safe T Steer. I will do Koni FSD shocks next and F/R sway bars after that. Finally I will install a front track bar. For me that is the order of importance.

Let us know what you think after your test drive.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #19

Hi Tom,

I sure will reply back. Where I am meeting the guy is not far from an interstate so may get to drive on it at speed.

I dont mind doing some mods at a later date. I am coming from a 04 F53 4 speed 20,500lbs chassi with 19.5 wheels. Only changes were changing sway bar bushing, CHF and steering stabiliser.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #20

I took the coach for 30 minute test drive this evening.
It handles really nice compared to my Ford. Did not get out out on the interstate but the seller who is a truck driver said its solid in cross winds and when trucks passing. I will test this out on the second test drive on Saturday.

The workhorse steering wheel is nice and liked the digital display.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I took the coach for 30 minute test drive this evening.
It handles really nice compared to my Ford. Did not get out out on the interstate but the seller who is a truck driver said its solid in cross winds and when trucks passing. I will test this out on the second test drive on Saturday.

The workhorse steering wheel is nice and liked the digital display.
This is good news. The WH chassis is a solid piece. I think you are going to really like it.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:36 AM   #22

Thanks Tom,

It was really nice. I was also surprised at how low profile the dog house was.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:49 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So what model 05 unit you looking at?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Each coach will be slightly different than it's twin. Be it wheel base to overall length, weight distribution, tire make and model, or even the prevailing environmental and traffic conditions you commonly encounter. With a new to you coach don't start buying bolt on items before you even bring the rig home. Drive it a bit and get a feel you how it handles in as many different operating conditions as possible. At that point make a determination, or ask for ideas, to that you feel is a problem with the going down the road performance. Could be something as simple and low cost as tire pressures incorrect to worn suspension bushings. Make incremental changes and drive the rig for a thousand miles. Was the change effective and do you need to progress to the next stage which usually involves higher cost.

In general we are driving a modified truck chassis with a rather ungainly house built on it but there's no reason for white knuckle driving. Just need to plan and take it one thought out step at a time.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #25

One thing to check is the metal brake line contact with the power steering hose. The power steering hose rubs on it and can eventually wear through. Expect to find a little bit of wear if the owner is not aware of the issue, and then use some rubber (like a split heater hose) to protect future wear. If you look at Kevin's latest video about the power steering fluid, he points it out under his coach is the last two minutes of the video. This is a very important inspection.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Each coach will be slightly different than it's twin. Be it wheel base to overall length, weight distribution, tire make and model, or even the prevailing environmental and traffic conditions you commonly encounter. With a new to you coach don't start buying bolt on items before you even bring the rig home. Drive it a bit and get a feel you how it handles in as many different operating conditions as possible. At that point make a determination, or ask for ideas, to that you feel is a problem with the going down the road performance. Could be something as simple and low cost as tire pressures incorrect to worn suspension bushings. Make incremental changes and drive the rig for a thousand miles. Was the change effective and do you need to progress to the next stage which usually involves higher cost.

In general we are driving a modified truck chassis with a rather ungainly house built on it but there's no reason for white knuckle driving. Just need to plan and take it one thought out step at a time.

Yep yep yep!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So what model 05 unit you looking at?
Hi,

It is a 2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c.

Cheers,
Old 04-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #28

Hi Sweetbriar,

The only change I will be making is adding the steering stabilizer which I will be taking from my old coach. Thats very interesting what you say about 2 identical servers.

Hi Vettenuts,

I will add that to the list for my truck place to check out.

Tags
steering, workhorse