RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2005, 03:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

As a long-time rv'er but waiting (extremely impatiently I might add) for delivery of my new GulfStream Atrium, I've been reading thru the forum to keep my mind occupied til the dealer tells me it's ready to pick up, and I have a couple questions.

First, this will be my first vehicle on the WH W22 chassis (all my other ones were on 'Brand-F') and I'm trying to learn as much as I can in advance. For every coach in the past, I kept a complete set of manuals on-board in case they're needed (which has come in quite useful at times, especially in remote areas). Now, I've been trying to find a source for the chassis and x-mission operator & service manuals, but with little luck. I did find the WH Chassis Guide and downloaded it, but that's all. Also saw posts referencing a Transworld Printing, but that looked like something else. Where can I find things like a detailed service manual, chassis-wiring harness schematics, operator-manual, etc (in other words, the whole she-bang)?

Second, same for the Allison transmission.

Ditto for Gulfstream, Dometic, Surburban, Power-Gear, and so on. I should mention my dealer said he had all the books for me when I take delivery, but typically those are not much more than how to turn something on/off, and I wanted to get the jump on things.

Fourth, is there any other Internet forums (yeah, I know, I can hear it now: "This is all you'll ever need, boy!") that are pertinent to our running-gear & vehicles?

Last, I've been reading about the 'awful horrors' of the W22 and Allision 1000, but are they really that prevalent? or do we only hear about the handful (typical of anything mechanical) that has a random problem? Should I be watching and waiting for a chain of events?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

On a related subject....
I saw some posts awhlie back about the cruise cutting-out when flashers were applied. Was that a few isolated instances (bad grounding, maybe?) or a real issue? I typically hit my flashers for a few seconds after passing to thank the other driver for letting me know when I can cut back in, and hitting a brickwall right then would be a hassle.

Was it ever decided if we do/don't have flash-to-pass on the turn-stalk? A very handy idea in my mind. And can the DRL be defeated if one chooses? It's tough to see flash-to-pass lites if there's already some lites showing on the grill. My last two For (... oops! Brand-F's) had a simple relay that could be pulled to defeat the feature).

Lastly (See, told you I was going nuts waiting for my new ride), several folks had wished for better dash-lighting, especially for seeing the switches. May I suggest some type of dimmable post or flood-lighting? Just about every type of aircraft I've flown has 'em, and they are terrific. You may get creative and have a red set and a white set, to allow for differing conditions. Hey! Maybe that's something I can do to while-away the time this next week!

Thanks again to everyone for the knowledge, and sorry for the long post.
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2005, 03:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

As a long-time rv'er but waiting (extremely impatiently I might add) for delivery of my new GulfStream Atrium, I've been reading thru the forum to keep my mind occupied til the dealer tells me it's ready to pick up, and I have a couple questions.

First, this will be my first vehicle on the WH W22 chassis (all my other ones were on 'Brand-F') and I'm trying to learn as much as I can in advance. For every coach in the past, I kept a complete set of manuals on-board in case they're needed (which has come in quite useful at times, especially in remote areas). Now, I've been trying to find a source for the chassis and x-mission operator & service manuals, but with little luck. I did find the WH Chassis Guide and downloaded it, but that's all. Also saw posts referencing a Transworld Printing, but that looked like something else. Where can I find things like a detailed service manual, chassis-wiring harness schematics, operator-manual, etc (in other words, the whole she-bang)?

Second, same for the Allison transmission.

Ditto for Gulfstream, Dometic, Surburban, Power-Gear, and so on. I should mention my dealer said he had all the books for me when I take delivery, but typically those are not much more than how to turn something on/off, and I wanted to get the jump on things.

Fourth, is there any other Internet forums (yeah, I know, I can hear it now: "This is all you'll ever need, boy!") that are pertinent to our running-gear & vehicles?

Last, I've been reading about the 'awful horrors' of the W22 and Allision 1000, but are they really that prevalent? or do we only hear about the handful (typical of anything mechanical) that has a random problem? Should I be watching and waiting for a chain of events?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

On a related subject....
I saw some posts awhlie back about the cruise cutting-out when flashers were applied. Was that a few isolated instances (bad grounding, maybe?) or a real issue? I typically hit my flashers for a few seconds after passing to thank the other driver for letting me know when I can cut back in, and hitting a brickwall right then would be a hassle.

Was it ever decided if we do/don't have flash-to-pass on the turn-stalk? A very handy idea in my mind. And can the DRL be defeated if one chooses? It's tough to see flash-to-pass lites if there's already some lites showing on the grill. My last two For (... oops! Brand-F's) had a simple relay that could be pulled to defeat the feature).

Lastly (See, told you I was going nuts waiting for my new ride), several folks had wished for better dash-lighting, especially for seeing the switches. May I suggest some type of dimmable post or flood-lighting? Just about every type of aircraft I've flown has 'em, and they are terrific. You may get creative and have a red set and a white set, to allow for differing conditions. Hey! Maybe that's something I can do to while-away the time this next week!

Thanks again to everyone for the knowledge, and sorry for the long post.
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:17 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also saw posts referencing a Transworld Printing, but that looked like something else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Transworld does print the service manual but the full set is quite expensive - $250 as I recall.
The good news is that they also offer a CD with over 8000 pages of info for about $40 - again that's as I recall. I got mine about a year ago.
My motorhome came with a big canvas bag with about 20 pounds of documentation. Took a while to wade through it all.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Fourth, is there any other Internet forums (yeah, I know, I can hear it now: "This is all you'll ever need, boy!") that are pertinent to our running-gear & vehicles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This forum is really all you will ever need. But if you would like to venture over to RV.NET and funroads.com they have a lot of content about Workhorse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Last, I've been reading about the 'awful horrors' of the W22 and Allision 1000, but are they really that prevalent? or do we only hear about the handful (typical of anything mechanical) that has a random problem? Should I be watching and waiting for a chain of events? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't allow your self to be prejudiced by what you read. Experience your motorhome first before you allow yourself to swept up in the sometimes problems of other WCC owners. By in large you will find that the positive comments in this forum from WCC owners will outweigh the negative.

Most often you will "never" hear from folks that don't have problems so it's hard to gauge problem vs no problem.

Take delivery of your new motorhome and use it. You will then be able to determine any follow on needs as your ownership experience matures. No need to address all the concerns you would like remedy for because your situation may be different.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote