Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Grouper View Post
Yes, this system is actually designed to fail if the RGS switch fails. The system design failure is that there is NO pressure relief on the hydraulic pump. At no time should any hydraulic system be designed without a system relief...
The cheap plastic RGS is of poor quality. Adding a pressure relief valve will not fix the RGS!

Wouldn't it make more sense If we replaced the RGS with a " " Pressure Switch with a thicker diaphragm and pressure snubber to withstand pressure spikes and cavitation?

Stay tuned... I may be on to something here!

All I need is a few more numbers...

2003 Damon DAYBREAK Model# 3275 // 2002 P32 Workhorse Custom Chassis, 8.1L Vortec 8100,180 Thermostat, .045 SP Gap, SuperSteer Rear Track Bar, Roadmaster Front Spreader Bar, SuperSteer Bell Cranks, Koni FSD ,,,
iRV4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #16

I agree that the switch is of lesser quality than that of " industrial" quality but the real issue is that it will fail at around 2,300 psi. Once the diaphragm fails, it leaks oil into the contacts and has the potential to load the motor/ pump to infinite pressure. I installed a sun brand cart relief, jump the RGS to force the pump to run, as if the RGS failed, and the relief opened @ 1950 not allowing the system to fail due to extreme pressure. The worst case is that you will blow the fuse after 2-3 minutes if the RGS fails due to the pump motor running at 1950 for extended period.
Whatever works for you on your rig is great. I would rather be 100% safe than sorry.
RGS is 55.00. Industrial pressure switch is 300.00. hydraulic unit from w/h is 800.00. Cart relief is 80.00. I'll go with the original rgs and cart relief myself and not be concerned about the other components because the cart relief protects them all.
" life has choices"

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Some might remember that the AP system up and including the J71 was a GM thing that WH inherited and about the only thing they did with it was to move part of the components from down under to a place under the hood. Most sure that the J71 wasn't just confined to the P32 chassis, either. Least ways not the AP per say since the WH answer was the J72 system, which is seldom up for discussion and evidently a much better system. I haven't heard of anyone trying to install one of these in place of their J71, but have heard of many other mods, both fruitful and some outright dangerous, with doing away with it all together and going with a manual foot pedal. I've never heard of any vehicle without a parking pawl in an auto transmission that relied solely on a manual parking brake. Very scary indeed, obviously illegal and providing a lot of fuel for plaintiff lawyers, not to mention problems with one's own insurance company.
Having said all this, if there was an after market replacement pressure switch (RGS) available somewhere, a good 75% of the AP discussions would probably never have taken place. Also it seems to me that the gray light switch is subjected to the same pressures or nearly so and it's failure rate has been minimal by comparison, so what's up with that and maybe Rog, our resident guru can chime in on this question.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Grouper View Post
I agree that the switch is of lesser quality than that of " industrial" quality but the real issue is that it will fail at around 2,300 psi. Once the diaphragm fails, it leaks oil into the contacts and has the potential to load the motor/ pump to infinite pressure. I installed a sun brand cart relief, jump the RGS to force the pump to run, as if the RGS failed, and the relief opened @ 1950 not allowing the system to fail due to extreme pressure. The worst case is that you will blow the fuse after 2-3 minutes if the RGS fails due to the pump motor running at 1950 for extended period.
Whatever works for you on your rig is great. I would rather be 100% safe than sorry.
RGS is 55.00. Industrial pressure switch is 300.00. hydraulic unit from w/h is 800.00. Cart relief is 80.00. I'll go with the original rgs and cart relief myself and not be concerned about the other components because the cart relief protects them all.
" life has choices"
Do you have a part number for the Sun Brand Cart? A picture showing the Cart relief inline with the Parker 108 and the RGS would be a bonus .

How is ATF relief handled?

Thanks for all your help!
2003 Damon DAYBREAK Model# 3275 // 2002 P32 Workhorse Custom Chassis, 8.1L Vortec 8100,180 Thermostat, .045 SP Gap, SuperSteer Rear Track Bar, Roadmaster Front Spreader Bar, SuperSteer Bell Cranks, Koni FSD ,,,
Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You guys are continuing to give the J-71 a bad rap. I worried about it since I bought it 8 yrs. ago. Bought 2 spares, still in the box and the original RGS is still working fine. Actually the entire AAPB has worked fine since new.
I've been paranoid about it since I joined this forum but after 8 yrs , I wish the rest of the coach was as trouble free.
Now, after bragging about it, it'll probably give me trouble. But OUB's 3 light genie will warn me before it locks up, barring a sudden and complete loss of 12 volt power.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
You guys are continuing to give the J-71 a bad rap. I worried about it since I bought it 8 yrs. ago. Bought 2 spares, still in the box and the original RGS is still working fine. Actually the entire AAPB has worked fine since new.
I've been paranoid about it since I joined this forum but after 8 yrs , I wish the rest of the coach was as trouble free.
Now, after bragging about it, it'll probably give me trouble. But OUB's 3 light genie will warn me before it locks up, barring a sudden and complete loss of 12 volt power.
X2 -
By reading of other's having problems I saw the advantage of learning the system so I could monitor it, identify problems early, and fix (or disconnect) it using onboard tools/parts.
As OMEY stated once - Workhorse is a great chassis, but has a few warts. AutoPark is just a wart to deal with.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #21

I have not had any problems....yet. I ordered the 3 spare parts recommended. Are the instructions for the 3 light warning system on the forum ? Or do I email oldusedbear for it ?
Thanks
Tom
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #22

Genie Lamp

Tompen - - shoot me your email address and I'll send you the Genie info.

Roger - - aka oldusedbear

oldusedbear11@charter.net
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #23

Thanks Roger.
Email sent !!
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #24

Auto Park Brake

I tried to post a long winded message about the AAPB but it failed to post so i will try a short one:

Any improvements to the AAPB should have three objectives: Allow the brake to be released for driving, prevent the brake from engaging while RV is in motion and hold the RV when parked.

The existing system only satisfies the third function reliably.

Best regards, Jack
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #25

is this concerning an issue with leaking hydraulic fluid from the emergency brake resevoir? If so, mine is leaking and I want to know if the family is safe this weekend to drive it, we have a "park" on my steering column, so I am wondering if my emergency brake will engage enroute to our desitination, been looking for info for hours and glad to find this site and I hope you see this soon...thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertraline View Post
is this concerning an issue with leaking hydraulic fluid from the emergency brake resevoir? If so, mine is leaking and I want to know if the family is safe this weekend to drive it, we have a "park" on my steering column, so I am wondering if my emergency brake will engage enroute to our desitination, been looking for info for hours and glad to find this site and I hope you see this soon...thanks
First off the J72 Auto Park System requires ATF. A leaking J72 Auto Park reservoir is a serious enough condition that I would not be willing to compromise my family's safety.

The J72 reservoir can crack and leak. The Parker Pump company has a newer cap design that could help prevent reservoir pressure that I believe causes the tank to crack. I found my replacement reservoir tank and cap on a airplane parts website. Airplane's use the same pump & reservoir. The don't use the problematic AC Delco pressure switches.

What ever happened to Deep Grouper?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #27

I agree with Irv4fun, the unit requires immediate service.

The question is how much is it leaking and from where. Mine always seeped a little which was only enough to collect dust and only required keeping it topped off.

Best regards and be safe, Jack
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

For the people that are unaware Brazel's RV does offer a switch kit that eliminates the problematic switches and replaces them with high quality, handmade switches that WILL NOT leak. Just an FYI....

Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis