Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
No burn at all since I changed to 10w30 Quakerstate Advanced full syn. Used Mobil 1 before and burned about 1.5 quarts per 2,000 miles driven... Very, very pleased with QSFS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't understand. How does changing to QSFS stop it from burning oil?

W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I don't understand. How does changing to QSFS stop it from burning oil? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why it's probably a different marketing company BUT if the stuff works I might just wear it.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My '05 Workhorse has over 15,000 miles and I haven't had to add any oil between changes so far. Change every 3,000 plus miles with Castrol 10/30 and AC filter (OEM).

Ed
Old 05-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeepster47:
Change every 3,000 plus miles with Castrol 10/30 and AC filter (OEM). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ed, Keep up the good work.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #19
paz

I guess I'm another one of the lucky ones. I rarely, if ever, have to add oil between changes with over 20k on the clock. I use the recommended 5W30 oil (dino). On the one or two occasions I have added oil, it's been less than a quart.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #20

Full-time,
I don't really know, but I would say it's because of the molecular structure of the Synthetic oil itself... I know is it works for me and costs less then Mobil 1. QSFS also came out with a Truck or Torque Syn! Next time I might try them??? But like I said I like this stuff and it works for me...
You can get it at Wally World too!
Another tip is to properly warm up the Motor before hitting the highway at 65 mph.. I've seen a few RV'rs fire the MH off and take off like they're in a race for their life! I usually start the engine before cranking in the slides and raising the levelers. doing so warms the engine slowly.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'05 has over 16,000 miles on it and just added 1/3 qt. with 4,500 miles since last oil change. Marty
Old 05-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

On my 2003 Suncruiser/W20 my oil consumption varied. It averaged 1 quart per 1,000 miles but that varied a bit depending upon driving conditions. Interestingly enough, it used more oil when driving across the flatlands of Iowa and Nebraska at 70 MPH than it did in the mountains. When I got to the really serious stuff, like climbing the Beartooths or Bighorns, it didn't use any. Apparently that 8.1 Vortec likes it better when revving than it does when loping along at lower revs forever.

Also, it didn't use any oil at first, but once it turned 8,000 miles it started to wear in and then it settled in at the one quart per thousand rate. It held that until I traded it at 18,000 miles.

My pipes were always sooty too, from day one. But, it was never an issue because it never blew smoke and the soot level was always thin and dry so there was no oil in it nor did it ever build up. It's just a trait of the big 8.1 Vortec. Besides, if you hang a chrome exhaust tip on it, nobody will ever notice the soot.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote