Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
What are the heat shields made of that they can be toast? Easy to install from the doghouse
The heat shield has a high heat plastic wrapper on the inside of the shield. The sleeve it self in a steel and there's a small spring on the plug side. You simply push the sleeve of the end of the wire that attaches to the spark plug all the way on until it stops. It's pretty easy stuff. Using the end of the wire with the shield, you need to feel a definite snap when it's pushed on and attached to the spark plug.

Yes you can do it from the doghouse. I often do it from inside the wheel wells. Ask Oemy - bring Band-Aids.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Just work with Larry and Justin will advise you about the fabric that you need if its deficient or missing. Just tell them that Mike sent you.
The last time I told him that it got more expensive, just kidding.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just work with Larry and Justin will advise you about the fabric that you need if its deficient or missing. Just tell them that Mike sent you.
It's a 2004 Pace Arrow 37-C if that helps. It dose have a rubber piece that looks like it goes from above the radiator to the area above the motor. Has a small cut out to allow dipstick access.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
It's a 2004 Pace Arrow 37-C if that helps. It dose have a rubber piece that looks like it goes from above the radiator to the area above the motor. Has a small cut out to allow dipstick access.
That piece needs to be as complete as possible and moderately rigid. The original fabric was really flimsy. There should be cutouts for the dipsticks and the ECM & TCM.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
That piece needs to be as complete as possible and moderately rigid. The original fabric was really flimsy. There should be cutouts for the dipsticks and the ECM & TCM.
Thanks, I think it's intact.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post
The insulating material on the inside of the sheild fails from to much heat. Best done from under the coach via the wheel well.

From your questions... Have it done!
I will have to have it done, too old and I have emphysema. Hope I can make it home and address this then, need to order the parts first. Not sure who I will get to do it but need the parts first. There was a Workhorse service place at home at one time (Love Chevrolet Co.),but they suck BIG time.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Repair quote format

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Depending on the wires they used, that could be the source. Get the Magnum wires from Ultra RV and that will be the end of it. Also, I would install plugs with the 0.045" gap as they are less prone to missing at high RPM. Last recommendation, if you were driving through rain when this occurred the filter and MAF may be wet. Replace the filter, clean the MAF and seal the hood and filter box.
Not sure what you're calling high RPM, its while running down the interstate but when it is under a load (pulling up a hill). The first time I guess it was the wires but I had them change the air filter also. This time when I was adding oil after an oil change I spilled some oil on the inside lip of the air intake tube so I sprayed some gunk (degreaser) and hit the inside of the tube lip with the house and washed it off. I held the drain tube open. My bad I guess. I hate to show my ignorance but I'm not a mechanic. The MAF I assume is the mass air filter but where is it and do you replace it or can It be cleaned, I would rather change it. This is a Workhorse so don't know about sealing the hood, I guess I could block the input but I though it was a cold air intake. I don't have a problem with whatever needs to be done just want the damn thing fixed. Don't get me wrong I don't want to spend the money for the hell of it. Oemy was talking about "heat shield" any info on that? Thanks to everyone for your help.

The Mass Air Flow sensor is located by the air filter on the wall of the passenger side front tire wheel opening. If you raise the front end and turn the tires you can access the air filter housing.

After the air goes through the filter it immediately hits the MAF sensor that determines the amount of air entering the engine.

I've cleaned some by removing the air filter and, with the engine running, spray MAF cleaner into the air line. It will slow the engine down as you do so.

Or you can remove the MAF from the air line and spray it on your workbench. Don't touch the MAF sensor grid.

MAF cleaner is about $10.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #50

As stated in the prior post, make sure you use the specific MAF cleaner. It is made specifically for electronics and won't leave any residue or harm the wires/sensor in the MAF. Don't use Gunk or other carb cleaners and such.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From an old race team member. This will work to put cooling air in engine compartment:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2150/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2140/overview/
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
From an old race team member. This will work to put cooling air in engine compartment:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2150/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2140/overview/
Thanks for the info. Will use this.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
As stated in the prior post, make sure you use the specific MAF cleaner. It is made specifically for electronics and won't leave any residue or harm the wires/sensor in the MAF. Don't use Gunk or other carb cleaners and such.
Thanks, I learned what the MAF is today.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I talked to Larry at Larry's Auto Clinic today (Myrtle Beach) and he said the heat shields are not stock on the 8.1 but are on the 454. Also he said that he only uses plug wires that are OEM. He said he would install after market if I get them. He also said if I have water in the filter it should not hurt the MAF sensor. So I picked up an air filter and will see if I can get them installed. I'll order the parts and have them installed at home, if I can make it home. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #55

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Well I beg to differ with Larry... On the Workhorse version of the 8.1 the heat sheilds are std and required. Without them your stock OEM wires won't last. They were on my 2004.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #56

I will differ with Larry on the MAF as well. Once it get wet from a dirty filter, it should be cleaned. Think I might replace Larry myself.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse