Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Workhorse 8.1L engine problems

My RV is a Holiday Rambler Traveler model 26RK with an 8.1 L Workhorse P32 chassis. I purchased the RV new in 2006 even though it’s a 2003 model. The coach had 900 miles on it in 2006 and today I’m at 42K miles.

Problems:
18K miles broken exhaust manifold bolts, an extra loud engine, but it appeared to be running ok.

35K miles: engine misfires under load. Replaced all sparkplugs and sparkplug wires.

41K miles: engine misfires at idle and under load. Replaced broken exhaust manifold bolts and installed the Workhorse Cooling Vent Kit. The kit included new sparkplugs wires.

This summer I will be taking a 4-5K trip; hopefully the cooling kit will help the situation. My engine compartment is very restricted. The question is: Is HEAT the real culprit or am I looking at a Monday morning problem?

What make this more frustrating are the Auto Park Brake problems I’ve had throughout the last 20K miles. Three instances involving:
reservoir sensor
retracted sensor
relay in the circuit.

VA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Traveler View Post
The question is: Is HEAT the real culprit or am I looking at a Monday morning problem?
VA Traveler, welcome to iRV2. Please do come back to visit us often.

I would like to take a shot at answering your question however I am not familiar with a Monday morning problem that you are referring to. In your post you offered that your engine compartment is very restricted. How is your compartment restricted? One other feature that was seen on HR rigs, not sure what year, was a perforated stainless steel plate (decor) that in my opinion does not allow enough air to get to the cool pack. Could this feature be a component of your current body style?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

8.1L Engine Problems

Monday morning simply refers to something manufactured 1st thing Monday morning after a long weeked. Probably more mith than fact.

What causes bolts to sheer off?

Behind my grill area are the two radiators with only 8 inches or so space at the top between the coach and radiators. Above my grill is the front access panel, it is directly in line with the 8 inch area at the top of the radiators. Of course this is a solid access panel. The inside cover is about 8 to 10 inches above the top of the engine.

I don't see any type of panels, but it is very difficlt to see much around the engine.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
What causes bolts to sheer off?
Without seeing first hand what the studs look like it's difficult from here to give you a great answer however if there are heat issues with the engine compartment, expansion and contraction I expect is prime cause for this event. I have had a bad head gasket and when they removed the manifold, they broke 2 studs. A welder was called in who extracted the studs. The manifold was restored and I've been good ever since.

Quote:
Behind my grill area are the two radiators with only 8 inches or so space at the top between the coach and radiators.
Is the space at the top of the radiator between it and the coach body covered by a rubber fabric shield? As far back as 2003 the material that was used was practically paper thin and it would shred in quick order. The new rubber material is a fiber reinforced sheet that will hold up well for the lifetime of the vehicle I expect.

I cannot tell you how critical it is that this space be covered. What is required is that all the air that enters the grill area needs to go through the radiator and none or little of it should be allowed to bleed over the top of the radiator.

Workhorse parts does have the rubber which they call a fabric that can be purchased and installed by the dealer.

Quote:
Above my grill is the front access panel, it is directly in line with the 8 inch area at the top of the radiators. Of course this is a solid access panel. The inside cover is about 8 to 10 inches above the top of the engine.

I don't see any type of panels, but it is very difficult to see much around the engine.
If you can take a picture of what that looks like perhaps that can help all of us achieve a better response to your problem.

Here is what the fabric looks like ...

Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #5

Workhorse 8.1 Engine problems

Thanks for your input. The picture you provided looks nothing like the inside front of my RV. I will take some pictures and post them. My RV is in storage so it may take a day or so..

During my last repair, while replacing the broken manifold bolts,they also installed a new gasket. I assume this is standard practice?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
During my last repair, while replacing the broken manifold bolts,they also installed a new gasket. I assume this is standard practice?
VA Traveler, Yes sir you are going to want to have a gasket there.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
The "vent kit" solved all my plug wire problems.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
The "vent kit" solved all my plug wire problems.
The vent kit was totally an internal design and application of a solution that quickly resolved a problem. This was Chris Christy's contribution toward this problem. In my observations, the Vent Kit has been successful in the vast majority of the applications where it has been applied however there have been some rigs that couldn't be cooled using a 4 blade Hamilton Standard prop. The small amount of rigs where the application has failed speaks toward the engine enclosure not providing adequate air flow through the cool pack.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
DriVer,
Hey Mike, that's not dirty brakefluid I see in your master cylinder in that picture is it?

FYI, A quick trip to the tire store for an old discarded truck tube works pretty good also.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Hey Mike, that's not dirty brakefluid I see in your master cylinder in that picture is it?
At the time I took that picture, you're right! I had not changed my fluid yet1 Since then I have nice clean fluid!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #11

Driver I have the same reservoir on my Adventurer. I just bought the Motive pressure brake bleeder and found out through the company that makes the reservoir is Chrysler. Why they went with two caps is a mystery since one would have worked fine. Motive will give anyone with this setup a bleed fitting and a dummy with no vent in the top. I bled all four wheels in about forty minutes by myself.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #12

Workhorse 8.1 L problems

Here are a few pictures:
1. Outside front of RV, note the new cooling intakes mounted on the lower grill.
2. Inside engine/fan area. Notice the angle iron frame above the fans, and the black insulating material on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280100.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	4199   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280108.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	4200  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280115.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	4201  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For what it's worth, I understand that Workhorse wants 550 square inches of open grill area. Even with that, the air must be directed through the radiator. After installing the sparkplug vent kit copied by me from WCC's kit I installed complete rubber shroud from engine up to firewall leaving only a 1' hole for the PCM and TCM. The 1" hole was after talking with my contacts at GM. I then covered the complete passenger side from the radiator out to the body. Still working on drivers side and area below radiator. This is after a plug wire burnt in Alaska in '05. I want all air through grill opening to go through the radiator, none around.

The only thing I was told with the vent kit is to make sure the sparkplug end of the vent hose points directly into the sparkplug not along side. I'm still running seven original OEM wires with a replacement OEM wire on #5. The extra set of OEM wires I bought and carry now have 20000 miles on them in the storage compartment, just in case.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re-Reaqding the O/P's post I have a question.

Is this engine "Stock" or has it been "Chipped"?