Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Until I can find one similiar to MG that is both proportional and progressive and controllable from the in coach activator I won't use one.
US Gear's Unified Tow Brake fits the bill. Not a neat as a M&G but I love mine. It has proportional/progressive braking, has a break away feature and is controllable from inside the coach.

The downside is the vacuum pump, the control box and the large brake actuator solenoid.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well lookie here ...... "nothing under my seat!"

The control unit is under the hood and is always out of sight and out of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	942  
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #45

The solenoid does not get in the way.... and besides I only have about $250 in the whole thing.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a Newbie. I purchased a 2004 National Seabreeze 8321 LX W-22 Chassis with 17000 miles in May. Before I took delivery I became aware of the brake issues by reading irv2 discussions. I told the dealer of my concerns with brakes and the dealer called Workhorse who told the dealer that my serial number was not part of the recall. I challanged the answer and asked "WHY NOT" they simply said my vin was not on thier list.

Subsequent to this discussion the dealer inspected the RV's brakes. I was not notified until I came back two weeks later to pick up my RV when I learned that the RV had all new brakes paid for by the dealer!!!

This is what the invoice says that the dealer paid:

"Customer states the the ABS lamp is onand there is a piston cracked on one of the calipers. Please check and advise.
Computer scan codes 21,22, and 26foundboth front wheel speed sensors melted. Both front calipers bound and heated up burned pads. Both rear calipers heated up and pistons binding. Brake fluid cooked.
Replaced all four calipers Front wheel speed sendors Turned all four rotors and flushed brake system. Reset pads and roadtest-OK
This includes new pads all the way around. DOT 4 fluid flush used for upgraded protection"

2 W8001709 Sensor
2 W8810906 Pads, BRA
4 W80000364 Caliper
2 W800036 Seal-Whee
2 W8000124 CapF Axl
2 W8000275 Seal Asm
2 W8000276 Seal, RR W
1 89021677 Gear Lubr 8.800
2 75-210 Gear Oil
2 PF9 Brake fluid
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can someone explain what all these items are. Does it mean that they also put gear oil in my front wheels?

I feel fortunate that the dealer did the right thing for me but also have concerns that all that was done is to replace the broken parts with the same defective prone parts. Is that correct and will I still be part of a future recall? How do youfeel about being told that a 2004 chassis was not on the recall list?

Thank for any advice and/or explanation.

Sam
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samflhomes View Post
I told the dealer of my concerns with brakes and the dealer called Workhorse who told the dealer that my serial number was not part of the recall. I challenged the answer and asked "WHY NOT" they simply said my vin was not on their list.
Samflhomes, Your dealer is right and wrong at the same time. there are 2 Workhorse brake recalls the 50301-C and the 50901-C. You are "not" subject to the 50301-C recall and the dealer is correct in that you would not show up in this campaign. You are on the other hand a part of the 50901-C campaign and the Interim Notice posted here in the stickies pertains directly to you. Your dealer would not see you or anyone else as being a part of the 50901-C campaign because it hasn't been posted yet.

The campaign apparently will be posted when the parts become available to begin accomplishing the campaign.

If anyone has a problem with their brakes they are instructed to call the numbers on the glove box card. (See the Interim Notice in the stickies)

Quote:
Subsequent to this discussion the dealer inspected the RV's brakes. I was not notified until I came back two weeks later to pick up my RV when I learned that the RV had all new brakes paid for by the dealer!!!
This would not be inconsistent with the terms of the Interim Notice. Several members here have had work done on their brakes which was paid for by Workhorse. Your dealer should have told you as much. Believe me the dealer isn't going to go out of pocket to fix anyone's brakes so why they withheld that information from you is beyond me.

Quote:
Can someone explain what all these items are. Does it mean that they also put gear oil in my front wheels?
Your front hubs are filled with gear lube. Please register your motorhome on the workhorse.com, "My Motorhome" webpage and download the FREE chassis guide. This publication will go over the fluids, filters and service requirements.

Quote:
... all that was done is to replace the broken parts with the same defective prone parts. Is that correct and will I still be part of a future recall? How do you feel about being told that a 2004 chassis was not on the recall list?
Sam, The parts that were replaced on your vehicle will perform well until the campaign is completed on your vehicle. Legacy parts are being used until the redesigned calipers become available. You are still a component of the recall.

If you bought your motorhome used you need to make sure that you are listed as the owner of record. If you are unsure or concerned about this, please send me a PM or email and I'll look into it for you.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sam, I have the same model-year National Sea Breeze as yours. You are fortunate that your dealer caught the problem and took care of it prior to delivery. The following url is a link to what happened to my rotors:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/cracked-rotors.html

As DriVer posted you will still need to have the 2009 recall service performed when it becomes available but hopefully your rebuild will last until then. There is no guarantee that it will because the parts are the same as the ones that failed. Just be alert to any signs of overheating (smell, etc.).

FYI the url below shows what I did, prior to the recall announcement, in an attempt to avoid further trouble. I think the investment paid off because it has allowed me to see two over-heating events as they happened. Both ended without further damage.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/brake_monitor.html
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=oemtech;525573]US Gear's Unified Tow Brake fits the bill. Not a neat as a M&G but I love mine. It has proportional/progressive braking, has a break away feature and is controllable from inside the coach.

The downside is the vacuum pump, the control box and the large brake actuator solenoid.

I am aware of the Us Gear brake system and the progressive and proportional claim but have been unable to figure out how an electrical system can do that. Isn't it activated by the brake switch when you apply coach's brakes? To me that would be an on-off electrical signal. The hand activated control could contain a reostat (?) which would vary current and if so that could be progressive and proportional
Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I am aware of the Us Gear brake system and the progressive and proportional claim but have been unable to figure out how an electrical system can do that. Isn't it activated by the brake switch when you apply coach's brakes? To me that would be an on-off electrical signal. The hand activated control could contain a reostat (?) which would vary current and if so that could be progressive and proportional
All I can say is call US Gear and ask...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #51

Official iRV2 Sponsor

M&G's can be installed on a hydraulically braked coach by simply adding an air compressor and proportioning valve to convert your braking power to air. We also deal a lot with the SMI systems, and can attest to the Duo doing a wonderful job at performing the tow vehicle braking duties.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[quote=scoutmstr;525935][quote=oemtech;525573]US Gear's Unified Tow Brake fits the bill. Not a neat as a M&G but I love mine. It has proportional/progressive braking, has a break away feature and is controllable from inside the coach.

I am aware of the Us Gear brake system and the progressive and proportional claim but have been unable to figure out how an electrical system can do that. Isn't it activated by the brake switch when you apply coach's brakes? To me that would be an on-off electrical signal. The hand activated control could contain a reostat (?) which would vary current and if so that could be progressive and proportional[/quote

]

I used a US brake in my previous MoHo, and IIRC, it uses a solid state accelerometer to provide proportional information to the system...rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
priblem with registering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Samflhomes, Your dealer is right and wrong at the same time. there are 2 Workhorse brake recalls the 50301-C and the 50901-C. You are "not" subject to the 50301-C recall and the dealer is correct in that you would not show up in this campaign. You are on the other hand a part of the 50901-C campaign and the Interim Notice posted here in the stickies pertains directly to you. Your dealer would not see you or anyone else as being a part of the 50901-C campaign because it hasn't been posted yet.

The campaign apparently will be posted when the parts become available to begin accomplishing the campaign.

If anyone has a problem with their brakes they are instructed to call the numbers on the glove box card. (See the Interim Notice in the stickies)

This would not be inconsistent with the terms of the Interim Notice. Several members here have had work done on their brakes which was paid for by Workhorse. Your dealer should have told you as much. Believe me the dealer isn't going to go out of pocket to fix anyone's brakes so why they withheld that information from you is beyond me.

Your front hubs are filled with gear lube. Please register your motorhome on the workhorse.com, "My Motorhome" webpage and download the FREE chassis guide. This publication will go over the fluids, filters and service requirements.

Sam, The parts that were replaced on your vehicle will perform well until the campaign is completed on your vehicle. Legacy parts are being used until the redesigned calipers become available. You are still a component of the recall.

If you bought your motorhome used you need to make sure that you are listed as the owner of record. If you are unsure or concerned about this, please send me a PM or email and I'll look into it for you.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank You for your response

I tried to register my RV and it is already registered under a name of Lloyd Morris who isn't the previous owner. My last 8 digits is 388008. What is going on here? Can you help getting me registered? I don't know how to reach you privately.
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samflhomes
tried to register my RV and it is already registered under a name of Lloyd Morris who isn't the previous owner. My last 8 digits is 388008. What is going on here? Can you help getting me registered? I don't know how to reach you privately.
Samflhomes, See my DriVer name in the left sidebar? Click on my name and select "Send a private message to Driver"

Now that said, "My last 8 digits is 388008" Could you please check that number for me again? We'll get you hooked up.....
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
driver:
it may be too early to ask this question or suggestion or whatever, but here goes anyway:
imho bosch is going to manufacture a limited number of new calipers with new steel pistons installed and about 400,000 new steel pistons with o rings installed.
when the campaign is accomplished on the first few moho's, wh will either have the facility accomplishing the campaign rebuild a set of calipers for the next moho or have the facility ship the old calipers to them for installation of the new pistons and o rings.
so what is the holdup? if wh is not considering this course of action, someone on the inside needs to mention this to them asap.
imho there is no way bosch can afford to make 50,000 new calipers, nor should they.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
driver:imho Bosch is going to manufacture a limited number of new calipers with new steel pistons installed and about 400,000 new steel pistons with o rings installed.
If you are considering new production units I would not disagree with you however the scope of the campaign should require something on the order of 200,000 calipers. or 47Kx4 positions=188,000

Quote:
when the campaign is accomplished on the first few moho's, wh will either have the facility accomplishing the campaign rebuild a set of calipers for the next moho or have the facility ship the old calipers to them for installation of the new pistons and o rings.
Workhorse isn't in the caliper business so I expect all those transactions will be handled by Bosch. For example if there were a problem with an Allison transmission the tranny would go back to Allison.

Quote:
so what is the holdup? if wh is not considering this course of action, someone on the inside needs to mention this to them asap.
WCC has a handle on how the process will work. They've been doing this to a lesser degree all along. The scope of this campaign will simply put more material, paperwork etc. into the pipeline but basically the RMA or process flow is similar.

Quote:
imho there is no way Bosch can afford to make 50,000 new calipers, nor should they.
Dan, Bosch has already agreed to produce all the calipers that are required to complete the campaign. There isn't anyone else out there that makes Bosch pin slide disk brake calipers. Regarding whether they should or not, again Workhorse buys components for the chassis from multiple vendors and they expect that the components they buy to perform well for the life of the vehicle. Manufactures such as GM, Allison, Westport, Dana, Brembo, Arvin Meritor and a host of others supply components and sub assemblies to Workhorse for assembly in the Union City plant. Workhorse doesn't machine or produce any of the parts or components it uses like GM, Ford or Chrysler.

Don't worry about Bosch, they have liability insurance plus they can probably handle the scope of this campaign on their own without insurance money. Although 200K calipers is a big number to you and I, for a company of this magnitude its just rolled into the the cost of doing business.

Bosch ZOHT type pin slide disc brakes are used on Workhorse RV & commercial, Ford and FRED chassis.