Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
No, and yes. The P32 chassis did not change from its IFS front suspension, however the W series chassis was introduced with a "double-drop" I-beam front axle without airbags and coil springs.
So...if the Workhorse Chassis in our OP's post was on IFS, then the dealer could be speaking the truth.

It is generally agreed that IFS will usually out perform the I-Beam for ride and comfort.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
No, and yes. The P32 chassis did not change from its IFS front suspension, however the W series chassis was introduced with a "double-drop" I-beam front axle without airbags and coil springs.
We might add that WH did eventually widen the track from what it was when they inherited it from Chevy. Other than that, it remained the same until it's demise. Sure is a bunch of them out there on the road still and will continue to be for some time to come, I would imagine.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
So...if the Workhorse Chassis in our OP's post was on IFS, then the dealer could be speaking the truth.

It is generally agreed that IFS will usually out perform the I-Beam for ride and comfort.
yes... unfortunately the way the chassis came from chevy... it was not correctly matched to each coach built on the platform. My 1998 model needed extra leafs in the rear as well as the air bag/fatigued front springs replaced. After that it drove like a dream.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #18

Well, since this is a Workhorse chassis forum, hopefully I won't get yelled at too badly. While I feel that my Itasca rides and handles okay, in the real world I can't say that it's any better than any other gas chassis motorhome I've owned. I've made a few after-market improvements that has made it noticeable better but as a comparison, you can spend more money and improve any chassis.

I will say that recently my father-in-law, who owns a Winnebago on a Ford chassis, rode with me on a 400+ mile trip and said he liked the way it rode. Said it was similar, but better than his... but I'm on a longer wheelbase and have made the after-market improvements, so who knows if it's due to either of those reasons, Ford vs. Workhorse chassis, or just subjective and his perception.

'Preception' could be why the salesperson said what he said; doesn't necessarily mean that 'his lips are moving'. I used to be in sales and can say first-hand that when buyers started talking about their trade-in, their 'lips' started moving too.

Now if the salesperson was comparing any gas chassis to any diesel pusher chassis, I'd say the diesel will always have a better riding and handling chassis. And if I ever win the lotto, I'm going to test that theory! -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Your F53 and a '02 Workhorse, both have leaf spring suspensions - front and rear.
Both have a C beam chassis and all the rest is pretty equal.

The Ford uses swaybars for roll control...can be upgraded and many here have talked about it.

The Workhorse uses sway tubes that tie the shackle end of the spring toether for the same purpose, but in a very different way.

I have a WH W24, and know the Ford is a good and reliable but different Chassis.

The Ford is still being made. WH is out of prodction.

Bestof lukcy
Good response! X2
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #20

I have always been told that the Workhorse Chassis was an upgrade (or a high end option) that was available to a lot of the manufacturers at an extra charge and alot of the buyers didn't want to pay the extra charge. The dealers didn't want to stock alot of the Workhorse chassis because of the additional cost which didn't help Workhorse. In the end they just couldn't compete. It's easier to sell at less cost and we all know the rest of that story.
WHLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The end of Workhorse is a bit more complex than "beat by the cheaper option". If that were true, everyone would be driving a Kia. I paid a bit more for my W24 and am glad I did.

The loss of GM's 8.1L gas engine had a lot to do with it. With no EPA approved gas option, they held on with W20 front engine Diesels until last year.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #22

Quote:
The end of Workhorse is a bit more complex than "beat by the cheaper option". If that were true, everyone would be driving a Kia. I paid a bit more for my W24 and am glad I did.

The loss of GM's 8.1L gas engine had a lot to do with it. With no EPA approved gas option, they held on with W20 front engine Diesels until last year.

Safe travels
I agree and in addition, once Navistar took over and having their own engine, even if just a little diesel, they weren't about to start putting in Ford engines in place of the GM. Besides, the company is so big and the RV profits so small by comparison, they weren't about to invest a small fortune in the changes required. This is why, getting one in good condition is an opportunity in itself.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #23

Thanks for the info Scarab0088 and tropical36. I have an 05 Fourwinds Hurricane W22 33Ft. that I like very much. I purchased it a year ago this month w/ only 13,000 miles on it. I looked and looked for something with the workhorse chassis, just because I'm a Chevy guy I guess, nothing against Ford. It handles real good on the interstate, in a cross wind and so on, but when a large truck passes me it feels like the back end is being pushed to the side of the road. I don't like that feeling one bit. I purchased a Hellwig 1 1/2" front and 1 3/4" rear stabilizer bars in hopes that will nail it down where I can feel the road alot better. I"ll install them sometime within the next week or so and I'll let you know how it handles.
Once again Thank you,

Have a great day!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #24

A possible downside to the WH chassis could very well be a lack of factory installed sway bars and have heard of many who have installed a Hellwig package with good results.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #25

My WH Chassis has the factory installed sway tubes. I don't understand how they work and not to sure they do. I just hope these Hellwig bars don't stiffen up the ride to much! I'm going to try and install them myself, but on the other hand if it doesn't cost and arm and a leg I may have a WH dealer install them. All four wheels have to be on the ground which doesn't leave much room to work. I don't like laying on my back trying to work under a vehicle. After installation I'll let everyone know how it handles and so on.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHLover View Post
My WH Chassis has the factory installed sway tubes. I don't understand how they work and not to sure they do. I just hope these Hellwig bars don't stiffen up the ride to much! I'm going to try and install them myself, but on the other hand if it doesn't cost and arm and a leg I may have a WH dealer install them. All four wheels have to be on the ground which doesn't leave much room to work. I don't like laying on my back trying to work under a vehicle. After installation I'll let everyone know how it handles and so on.
Sway Tubes work very well and are very common on commercial trucks like those driven by FedEx to the Big delivery types. They even came on my old IH Scout.

They are much simpler than sway bars, having no moving parts or bushings to fail. They tie the leaf springs together to reduce "sway" while fully allowing the springs to compress.

The trac bar should help with sway control.

Best of luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
A possible downside to the WH chassis could very well be a lack of factory installed sway bars and have heard of many who have installed a Hellwig package with good results.
Not at all. The only downside is the crappy factory monroes or bilstein shocks.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHLover View Post
when a large truck passes me it feels like the back end is being pushed to the side of the road. I don't like that feeling one bit. I purchased a Hellwig 1 1/2" front and 1 3/4" rear stabilizer bars in hopes that will nail it down where I can feel the road alot better.
While the Anti Sway bars will help a lot with what is affectionately known as the "Walmart Wobble" it won't do as much for "push" or "pull" when being passed by a large vehicle or in cross winds as trac bars will. I highly recommend putting a rear ultratrac on at the same time you do the rear anti-sway so you can get it all done in one shot.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote