Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Workhorse chassis

It appears that Workhorse Chassis now builds only the Ford version. Does anybody know why they are no longer using Chevrolet?
1999intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse doesn't build a gas chassis as the GM 8.1 engine is no longer in production. They do not use Ford motors. If you buy a new gas MH, it is on a Ford chassis.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

workhorse told me at a recent WIT Florida rally that since Navistar/IHC, international trucks owns workhorse and Monaco they elected to discontinue the GM Vortec! In turn they will offer their international diesels, which as you know is the Ford Power Stroke version of a V8----(clickity-clack) They were close to the vest on ft. or rear engine with the Allison Trans. Those of us with the 8.1 have been satisified with the chasis and engine/transmission combination.
gypsy1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome gypsy1945 to irv2.
You have that right we do enjoy our Workhorse also, happy RVing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse did not "choose" to discontinue the 8.1, GM stop building them in late '09. The engine currently being used by Workhorse is the International Harvestor Maxxforce 7 which is similar to the motor used by Ford until last year. Ford now builds their own diesel motor for their trucks. The Maxxforce 7 has the latest engine controls and do not have to use urea to meet the newest regulations.

Safe travels,
Dave
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1945 View Post
workhorse told me at a recent WIT Florida rally that since Navistar/IHC, international trucks owns workhorse and Monaco they elected to discontinue the GM Vortec!
Did you get a name perhaps? I don't believe that anyone that I know would have offered this type of information to you since it's not accurate. Nobody at Navistar is impeding or otherwise preventing Workhorse from using any engine that they choose to power their product.

Now that said the new synergy between Maxxforce engines and Workhorse chassis makes for new opportunities that Workhorse alone might not have been able to develop on its own due to R&D costs especially in these financial times.

In the long term you can plan on Workhorse bringing new products to market that will cater to one and all in the Class A RV marketplace.

In closing, I just took a ride in a Maxxforce 7 powered RV and I would be very hard pressed to hear the clackety-clack that you quoted in your post. In my experience there wasn't any obvious noise that distinguishes the vehicle I drove from being gasoline or diesel powered. The MaxxForce7 is very well behaved and that comes from the electronics and the combustion properties of the engine. The combustion cycle on the MaxxForce7 is extended over time so that the single large bang one typically gets in diesel is no longer there.

In closing ... did you know that 2010 emission compliant engines do not have mufflers?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1945 View Post
workhorse told me at a recent WIT Florida rally that since Navistar/IHC, international trucks owns workhorse and Monaco they elected to discontinue the GM Vortec! In turn they will offer their international diesels, which as you know is the Ford Power Stroke version of a V8----(clickity-clack) They were close to the vest on ft. or rear engine with the Allison Trans. Those of us with the 8.1 have been satisified with the chasis and engine/transmission combination.
I can believe that a Workhorse Rep gave you this bad info based on the reps at the Tampa RV show. They told me that they stopped offering products to Winne, which flunked the reasonability test since Winne had to be one of their largest customers. When the reps found out I was driving a Winnie, they got rude, and one walked off. They had that IH Diesel engine on display, but no one there seemed to know anything about it. I have to say the Workhorse booth at the Tampa show left me with a bad feeling.

I hear they are still looking for a source for a large block V8 and were trying to buy the machining from the GM plant. But if they are going to continue their Monaco only philosophy, I'm afraid Workhorse is dead. I just don't see that many Workhorse Monaco's on the road, most seem to be built on their own Diesel chassis. Hard to say what's really going on from my vantage point, maybe they're just reacting badly to a difficult situation.

I too have been very satisfied with my W24 chassis. It is unfortunate that GM chose to stop production of the big blocks.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyates View Post

I hear they are still looking for a source for a large block V8 and were trying to buy the machining from the GM plant. But if they are going to continue their Monaco only philosophy, I'm afraid Workhorse is dead. .................................I too have been very satisfied with my W24 chassis. It is unfortunate that GM chose to stop production of the big blocks.
swyates;819029:

Not sure where you got the idea that WCC has a "Monaco only philosophy" but nothing could be further from the truth. Currently, WCC is selling their W20D and W22D RV chassis to THOR who uses it exclusively under their Serrano products. Since WCC has no gas engine chassis right now, Monaco RV, LLC does not use ANY chassis from WCC. Rather, Monaco buys their gassers from Ford, and builds their own "Roadmaster" chassis in Coberg, OR for their diesel products. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyates View Post
When the reps found out I was driving a Winnie, they got rude, and one walked off. They had that IH Diesel engine on display, but no one there seemed to know anything about it. I have to say the Workhorse booth at the Tampa show left me with a bad feeling...
I know first hand that the reps that were in the Workhorse display in Perry GA at the recent FMCA Family Reunion and Motorhome Showcase were very accommodating to all types of RV owners. The guys in the display were attentive to customer comments and made a point to address their needs to the greatest extent possible.

I don't know of anyone working a Workhorse display that would brush off existing customers or be rude to anyone in conversation.

If you have any questions about the MaxxForce7 engine please do not hesitate to ask a question. If an answer is not immediately available, a answer will be shortly forthcoming.

Previously under development, MaxxForce has just brought to market the BIG Bore MaxxForce15 engine and it will be available for RV use in the near future. The engine is in-cylinder 2010 emission compliant featuring 550HP and 1850 lb/ft of torque.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

Mystery to me. All the one guy that didn't walk off when I mentioned Winnebago talked about was Navistar and Monaco. Maybe he didn't work for Workhorse and was just wearing a Workhorse logo and in their display. Rather a turn off to those of use who have been living in Winnebago's for 18 years.
We'll keep an eye on what's coming. Seems to me there still a good market for larger front engine chassis like the W24.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote