Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse Chassis Homecoming Rally

Hey all, just a quick hello from the Workhorse Rally here in Greenville, Ohio. As we were one of the late-arriver's, we've only met a few of the 150 or so folks that attended the first evenings Meet-n-Greet at the restored Rail Terminal in Union City, Indiana. The food was hosted by Workhorse and was yummy. There was even wine and beer to go with the Sandwiches and 'Outstanding' Sausage Balls. Linda DeHaven and other reps from Workhorse were on hand to greet us and let us know they were there to answer questions and give whatever assistance they could. It was well run affair and seemed like everybody had a swell time. Afterwards there was a community bonfire at the Darke County Fairgrounds where about 70 coaches are parked for the Rally. I'm not gonna say what folks were drinking but the evening seemed to get even more relaxed the later it got. David and Linda Laird have done a lot of work getting things ready for the Rally and it shows. Good Job! Donuts and Coffee in the morning before the Seminars start. Representatives from Allison, Workhorse and Navistar will be presenting. Should be fun!
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTrek View Post
Hey all, just a quick hello from the Workhorse Rally here in Greenville, Ohio........ David and Linda Laird have done a lot of work getting things ready for the Rally and it shows. Good Job! Donuts and Coffee in the morning before the Seminars start. Representatives from Allison, Workhorse and Navistar will be presenting. Should be fun!
Thanks for this first report from the rally. WISH I WAS THERE!

Please come back and post additional updates when you can, Thanks. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Gang, Jean and I have been at the rally. We have all had a ball. It has been a wonderful week. The weather has been cool and dry. Jean and I have made so many new friends. The Workhorse folks could not have been more helpful. We had some very informative seminars. Today we spent the first half of the day at the Workhorse factory in Union City. The factory tours were very good and the pace relaxed. We had time to talk with several folks working on chassis. It was great watching how professional the line is and how they build each chassis from scratch. After the tour we were treated to a cookout. We also had a chance to view the new front engine diesel chassis. Very interesting. This afternoon we enjoyed an ice cream social and we had more ice cream than we could eat. Folks I can eat a lot of ice cream. After the ice cream folks gathered around the campfire. Around 11 a few scattered rain showers came through and that ran folks back to their RVs. This was the first Workhorse rally for Jean and me. David and Linda did a fantastic job putting together a very enjoyable rally. The atmosphere was so relaxed and everybody chipped in to make it a total success. Jean and I will stay here a couple of days to attend the Dayton air show before heading for Oshkosh. Otherwise we would be proud to camp with the Workhorse bunch at the FMCA rally. I will hate to see the gang move on in the morning.
peskyfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jerry, I couldn't agree with you more. I took copious notes and was prepared to spend a couple of hours on what we learned at the seminar concerning the brake issue with the W20 & W22 chassis', but after reading your post (Workhorse Brake Recall), all I can do is comment with awe on the excellent job that you did condensing what was explained there. Good, accurate writing Jerry!

The many folks from Workhorse were quick to answer any and all questions that were asked of them and were on site almost continually through every day of the Rally. Eric McCann, the Regional Service Manager, in particular was perhaps the most professional and educated Representative I have ever come into contact with at any Rally. His awareness of the issues presented here in irv2 was evident as many discussions took place as a result of what we bring to the Workhorse forum daily.

Dave and Linda Laird did an outstanding job of co-ordinating and scheduling all of the various events of the Rally, along with Linda DeHaven at Workhorse. What a Team! And I just gotta mention the food. It should also be noted that Workhorse sponsored/provided all three of the 'meals' featured at the Rally (Thank You Workhorse!). In addition to the donuts every morning ( I stuck to my diet....well, I may have had one or two ) and the catered Reception meal Tuesday evening in Union City, there was a the wonderful catered Dinner in Greenville on Wednesday evening. A full meal with salad, fried chicken, pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and gravy, rice, green beans with ham, and of course dessert. Workhorse gifted every attending coach a very nice Cheeseboard set and every attendee a sized pair of nifty Workhorse logo beach sandals. In addition to the good food and neat gifts, a drawing was held after dinner in which numerous prizes were awarded to names drawn out of a bucket. There were so many prizes given out, every coach took home something. And, as the coach that came the farthest, we received a special Visa Gift Card on top of all the other great stuff. WooHoo!

The tour through the Workhorse facility was the highlight of the Rally for me and I now understand a lot more about the Workhorse Chassis. After arriving and being checked through the Gate Security, we met in a waiting area under a large open tent with coffee, cold drinks and yep, more donuts! Then we were bussed in small groups to the plant area and seperated into two smaller groups of nine or so for our personally guided tours. The plant was extremely clean and very organized. Workhorse is a Union shop and it was very evident that 'Seniority Rules' on the manufacturing floor and that the average worker there has had years of experience on the line. There is no in-house manufacturing done on any chassis at Workhorse, only assembling of parts, which they do with many checks along the line to insure quality of work and materials. We learned that their max production is 120 units per day, although their average right now is 60 per day with just one shift running. We were given access to the entire 60,000 sf shop and were given good explanations of what was taking place at each station. Each tour group got to spend about 45 minutes to an hour at the facility and we were very impressed with Workhorses professionalism and quality control. Nancy and I were in the last group to take the tour so by the time we returned to the Big Tent, the Feasting had begun! Workhorse once again provided us with a great meal of charcoal grilled Burgers and Hot Dogs with all the fixin's and baked beans, coleslaw and yes, more dessert! Very good stuff.

The evening was topped off by an Ice Cream Social with Chocolate Fudge and Butterscotch syrup, crushed pineapple and four flavors of Ice Cream; all courtesy of Redlands. Thanks Keith and Crew! Wish you could have been here.

All in all, the Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club Rally was well attended, well represented and well organized. We personally met people there we will keep in touch with and hope to see on the road again. If possible we will do it again, especially if David and Linda are going to be in charge.
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I wanted to add a quick footnote to this subject and state how very much we missed attending this event. I am sure that Dave & Linda did an excellent job as you all have said and I don't think that it could have gone off any better than it did.

On the way to Union City, I took ill and I was sidelined for almost a week in an ICU at the JC Blair Memorial Hospital in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. While there we elected to fly our son up to Harrisburg to help me drive the motorhome back to South Carolina in the event anything clinically would develop that would require me to leave Colleen on the road by herself.

We arrived home last night at 10:30pm and we are glad to be off the road and home for the moment. I am feeling much better today. I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and I hope to be able to attend the next WCMC Rally.

I want to also thank "Rottwieler" for putting up the picture of me and Roxy he took while attending the S&SR from Myrtle Beach. I am very flattered that I was able to attend the event if only in the form of a picture. It is comforting to both Colleen and I to have such wonderful friends such as yourselves.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your illness, I hope your feeling better. I'm sure you were missed at the rally. Health is wealth my friend, get better.

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote