Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The original poster asked if WH was actually going out of business. I responded with my thoughts on why they were going out of business. After putting some "new" defective brakes on my coach, 800 miles later my family and I were almost killed on the Blue Ridge Parkway when we had another catastrophic brake failure. I have posted photos of it many times. WH treated me horribly afterwards as they have many others discussed here. I contend that this is why they had to go under. I think this is why they screwed so many of their customers and didn't care about losing their reputation. If you think the value of your WH coach isn't affected, then great for you. I think our values are drastically affected and this latest going out of business deal even makes it worse. If you find something specifically incorrect with anything I have said, let's hear it. If you think being in the mountains with no brakes is like stand up comedy, then you should try it sometimes. It is not funny.
I am the OP and do not mis-quote me. I asked if anyone had any information,
To give a reason without knowing whether they are or not is a statement in ignorance.
If there is positive information otherwise please post.
Just like the statement," I think ", is an opinion, with no supporting documentation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #44

I
Quote:
am being told that at the Texas rally it was stated that Workhores is going out of business. Does anyone have further information?
Their going out of business has been on multiple RV forums. I was giving you further information as to why. This is an opinion for sure. We both have orphan chassis now.

Talk with dealers and repair shops yourself. I have and I had one Monday tell me that he did not want to work on Work Horses because of all the problems of the recall. I have had relatives tell me that they won't take WH coaches in on trade and reported this on this forum. Two WH repair shops that replaced my calipers (a total of 3 times) both told me that they had problems getting paid from WH (this goes back around 2 years and I posted it on this forum then). One dealer who replaced my calipers in TN got a repair order approved from WH with me on the phone (I spent 3 days there and had to cancel my long trip.) later tried to charge me around $200 plus dollars on the caliper repairs that WH disallowed. They were great to work with, but ended up eating the $200 that WH had approved. Neither was happy with WH. They have over 170 bays between them and are both big places with good reputations doing quality work. Some of the paid shills here will paint a much different picture. Believe it if you wish. Frankly, I wish I was wrong, I'd to trade in my coach, but I am stuck with it for now.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This all reminds me of a former GM President's quote: "WE DON'T MAKE CARS, WE MAKE MONEY". As long as money is being made, a product will be produced.
It will be discontinued, if A.) the product looses money, or B.) it finds a product that makes more money.

I have no experience with Workhorse chassis. What I have see, that there are enough clever people on this site to help keep everyone's Workhorse chassis working for many years to come.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Wow! Is all this factual since you purposely tried to belittle some one else's opinion?
I agree with one thing u said, the 8.1 is definitely a monster, an 'old school's unpredictable monster like Jekyll & Hyde , a basket that WH put all their eggs into and when GM retired an over the hill engine, WH was like lost puppy.
I agree with one other thing u said with a twist: if WH made the only gas MH, I'd buy either a towable or a diesel and certainly nothing that had a WH insignia on it. One big mistake is enough for me

Who ever said aftermarket companies would make parts, just go to an auto parts store and tell them u need a part for a Workhorse, overwhelming odds are, they never heard of it.
I wasnt going to clog up the thread with "facts" just like Linsay.
Also... auto parts retail counter people

You dont suppose a vendor would mass produce a brake retrofit kit? WH had people spending $2k on "recall" parts... Im sure a vendor like Dorman could have a run of cailpers fabricated. Matter of fact I bought new upper & lower control arms for my previous coach for less than the cost of replacing the ball joints on 1 side.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #47

I would like to know what the truck equivalent is to my 8.1/Allison combination. If you go into a parts store and ask for a part for a Workhorse W24, they look at you with a strange look. If I can tell them a model of a Chevy or GMC, they might be able to come up with a part.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
...... Some of the paid shills here will paint a much different picture. Believe it if you wish.......
Mr Richards:
As one of the members here that used to be called that mis-nomer (by someone IGNORANT about any facts of the Ambassador program), I'd love to know how you think a "paid shill" gets paid by a company that has closed down.

"DriVer" and others here continue to support & HELP Workhorse owners and iRV2 members with their knowledge, experience, and personal contacts WITHOUT compensation. This service to others is in stark contrast to the continous posting of the same old sad song being sung by a FEW disgruntled owners. I'm not trying to minimize the serious nature of your frustrations, but, IMO, your experience is not typical of the experience the vast majority of owners have had with their chassis. My opinion is based on the 5+ years I personally talked to literally thousands of owners at rallies and conventions both big and small. "Sometimes" it boils down to how you play the cards you're dealt.

I just left the WCMC rally in Kerrville, TX where there were ~40 Workhorse owners with chassis from 2002 thru 2009 who attended a seminar on 5-10-12 which was conducted by a Workhorse service RSM who announced that the sales and production functions of Workhorse are being "mothballed" by Navistar. . He stated that the SERVICE functions will continue for the foreseeable future. Uptime Parts is a pro fitable function that will continue to stock and sell parts to service centers, according to the RSM. IMO, warranty on all the new W20D chassis yet to be retail sold will ensure that service personnel will be around for at least 3 more years.
Ed
Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I wasnt going to clog up the thread with "facts" just like Linsay.
Also... auto parts retail counter people

You dont suppose a vendor would mass produce a brake retrofit kit? WH had people spending $2k on "recall" parts... Im sure a vendor like Dorman could have a run of cailpers fabricated. Matter of fact I bought new upper & lower control arms for my previous coach for less than the cost of replacing the ball joints on 1 side.
A friend of mine has contacts at a Navistar service center. He informs me that they don't even recycle brake calipers they replace. They use to pile them out in the back until the pile was 6' tall and then use a front loader to load them for the metal recycler. Now the throw them in recycle dumpster and it is removed frequently. My point is there are so many of these around they don't rebuild them.

The real issue was Bosch... and who/whom was going to pay for the recall.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank Ed:
I was hoping that someone that had attended the rally would have the correct information. Thats what I was waiting for.
It sure is interesting how some folks attending the same rally came away with a totaly different story. Then we have those with absolutley no first hand knowledge attempting to confirm false information.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
He informs me that they don't even recycle brake calipers they replace.
We had about 400+ calipers and a local recycler came and picked them up .... said he was sent by Detroit Green Recycling, the company WH has you call to get calipers removed.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
"DriVer" and others here continue to support & HELP Workhorse owners and iRV2 members with their knowledge, experience, and personal contacts WITHOUT compensation. This service to others is in stark contrast to the continous posting of the same old sad song being sung by a FEW disgruntled owners. I'm not trying to minimize the serious nature of your frustrations, but, IMO, your experience is not typical of the experience the vast majority of owners have had with their chassis. My opinion is based on the 5+ years I personally talked to literally thousands of owners at rallies and conventions both big and small. "Sometimes" it boils down to how you play the cards you're dealt.

Thanks for the info on Workhorse mothballing Ed.
I totally agree with the quoted statements by edgray, above.
The sky is not falling, I still own and drive a very viable motorhome on a Workhorse chassis. I purchased it because I believe, and still do, that it is "head and shoulders" above the competition. I have no doubt that parts and services will be available for it for many more years.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #53

I guess from my point of view it makes no difference. The Workhorse service center close to me does not work on diesel engines or the Allison transmissions so I must find a shop elsewhere. They will do oil changes, etc but it is easier to go to a service center that specializes in my Navistar and Allison products.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would like to add that I have what I consider the best gas chassis ever built and that is the Workhorse W24. Mine has been absolutely trouble free since I picked it up in January 2005 with 920 delivery miles. I have done nothing but have the chassis lubed and oil changed at every ~3000 miles. I have never added oil between changes. I ordered from the factory and have 23,000 miles on my chassis. My last weight was 23,200 pounds without the Honda. I've averaged 7.05 mpg mostly towing a 2800# Honda Civic and rarely traveling over 63 mph. Without the Civic I pickup ~.5 mpg. I've run up and down the eastern mountains with my buddy and his 400hp Allegro Bus and he has never left me in the dust.

The Workhorse W24 was the best gas chassis ever built IMHO.

-Tom, W3TLN

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Thank Ed:
I was hoping that someone that had attended the rally would have the correct information. Thats what I was waiting for.
Harold: sorry you could not join us in Kerrville. There were lots of members who came from CA (more than any other state-even beat TX ). Needless to say, the RSM announcment was met with "stunned silence" and then a bevy of questions about what does it really mean to us owners. Most of us came to realize that it means almost nothing to current owners, except that we probably won't be able to buy a new coach with a Workhorse chassis in the future....unless you find a Serrano you like on the W20D. I bought one of the "last" gassers in 2010, made in Nov. 2009 and am really happy with the chassis half of the coach.

I also want to thank the RSM, Carl Dahl, who remained with us long past his seminar ended. He continued to help owners "one-to-one" by answering specific questions about chassis and recommending solutions to any issues they were having. Carl also downloaded specific chassis info onto "thumb drives" so the owners would have electronic files of details about their chassis not easily obtained eleswhere.
Ed
Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #56

Quote:
I'm not trying to minimize the serious nature of your frustrations, but, IMO, your experience is not typical of the experience the vast majority of owners have had with their chassis.
My experience is typical of owners who have had catastrophic brake failures. I am not talking about anything else. This is what lead to their demise and the devaluation of our orphaned coaches. Real simple. I would not describe me as frustrated. PO'ed is a much better phrase. As to the advise, was it good advise that I received when told on this board that my brakes were safe when the WH dealer told me to get all 4 replaced and WH looked at the photos and said they would only replace 2. I took the advise here, because I thought it sounded professional. 800 miles later, my family was almost killed on the side of a mountain. That was horrible and nearly fatal advise and hopefully I might be able to help others to get a second opinion. WH took advantage of everything they could to pay as little as possible to me and the great dealers who worked on my coach. I also stand by the compensation issue for some of those defending WH and have not seen it denied. Folks can say their coaches are not devalued, but they are wrong.

Tags
workhorse