Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #1

Just a few comments on a recent experience with my motorhome. After making a short test run in my MH in preparation for an upcoming trip, I returned home and parked the unit on the street in front of my home. A half-hour later I went to move the unit. When I moved the ignition switch to the RUN position, the only thing displayed on the instrument cluster was the odometer. There was static coming from the speaker of my rear-view-camera. Moving the ignition switch to the start position resulted in the instrument cluster displaying ALL lighted icons with all gauges at zero. No reaction from the starter.

My first thought was the battery - it was five years old - but it read 12.6 volts at the battery. I even disconnected the negative lead to do a 'cold start' on the computers. No help! Out of curiosity more than anything else, I started the genset and let it run for 10 minutes or so and shut it off. This time when I switched the ignition to RUN, all displays on the instrument cluster were normal and the unit started.

I moved the unit off the street, turned off the ignition, then turned it back on again to find that my problem had returned. Still suspecting battery, this time I left the ignition in the RUN position and measured the battery voltage again: 9 volts. What a shock!

With a new battery, I am back to normal. I have been diagnosing automotive problems for 50 years but this one through me for a while. I guess I know too much about 'old' technology and not enough about 'new' technology but I still persevered.

If this happens to you, give the truck battery a hard look before you call the tow truck.

Jimcal
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #2

Just a few comments on a recent experience with my motorhome. After making a short test run in my MH in preparation for an upcoming trip, I returned home and parked the unit on the street in front of my home. A half-hour later I went to move the unit. When I moved the ignition switch to the RUN position, the only thing displayed on the instrument cluster was the odometer. There was static coming from the speaker of my rear-view-camera. Moving the ignition switch to the start position resulted in the instrument cluster displaying ALL lighted icons with all gauges at zero. No reaction from the starter.

My first thought was the battery - it was five years old - but it read 12.6 volts at the battery. I even disconnected the negative lead to do a 'cold start' on the computers. No help! Out of curiosity more than anything else, I started the genset and let it run for 10 minutes or so and shut it off. This time when I switched the ignition to RUN, all displays on the instrument cluster were normal and the unit started.

I moved the unit off the street, turned off the ignition, then turned it back on again to find that my problem had returned. Still suspecting battery, this time I left the ignition in the RUN position and measured the battery voltage again: 9 volts. What a shock!

With a new battery, I am back to normal. I have been diagnosing automotive problems for 50 years but this one through me for a while. I guess I know too much about 'old' technology and not enough about 'new' technology but I still persevered.

If this happens to you, give the truck battery a hard look before you call the tow truck.

Jimcal
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Jim,
Welcome to IRV2.... May I suggest that you add some info about your rig (make, model etc) in your profile.

12.6 with no load has caught most of us at one time or another. I have a Briggs&Stratton starter sitting on the shelf to prove it.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That under load battery thing has caught more than one person you can be sure of that. It is that old saying in the business "It can't be my battery, my radio still works"
Old 06-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #5

Here is an insidious byproduct of the low battery situation. Let's say your alternator has failed but you don't know it. You're bopping down the road and haven't noticed the battery voltage is getting progressively lower - - engine seems to still be running OK. Now, you do ANYTHING that dramatically increases the load - - headlites, AC, cigarette lighter, SOMETHING that draws quite a few amps. Not only will the voltage drop to where the engine quits (you're in the fast lane of course), but IF YOU HAVE AUTOPARK, IT WILL APPLY. Even if you shut off whatever the big load was, the AutoPark pump will now try to run to release the brake, and IT is a large load by itself. Definitely NOT a good situation.

It PAYS to watch the instruments - - better yet, get something like a ScanGauge that gives you even more accurate readings of voltage, temps, etc.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, Everybody seems to have a 'scan gauge' except me. Where do you get them, how much and how/ where do you hook it up?
I never thought about, if the battery quits charging and gets low, the autopark applies.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #7

I know this is hindsight, but one thing that can be done in a situation like this is to hold down the battery crossover switch and bring the house batterys on line. Richard
Old 07-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #8

What you were reading is the surface charge of the battery. After you put a load on the battery it showed a low battery at 9 volts. When ever I was testing a battery I would load the batterd down ;by either cranking the engine or turning the lights on for a while. It would then show the true voltage.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #9

Max - - Google ScanGauge II for complete info. About 170 bucks. Gives you lots of good information like voltage, temps, error codes, mph, rpm etc. Data is coming from the onboard computer. Selling like hotcakes now with all the folks wanting to monitor their gas mileage.