Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That is not quite correct either. Workhorse has NEVER built an engine.. GM is no longer building the 8.1L.
No, but they're still building THIS that should bolt in.

Just kidding, folks......

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster47 View Post
Slight correction. I believe the chevy 8.1 engine is still in production for marine use "only", as stated by Alan Stegich at Workhorse/Navistar.
Ed, When did you hear this? I'll see Al in a couple of weeks and ask him about that. I know that GM shut down production on the 8.1 about 18 to 24 months ago.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I also heard that same thing from Norm Gotz, Workhorse RSM, yesterday when he visited us.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
I also heard that same thing from Norm Gotz, Workhorse RSM, yesterday when he visited us.
OK, I'll be all over Al when I see him on the 14th.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #19

Thanks, to all, in your responses was what I was concerned about which really was the 8.1 engine and not the chassis. I conclude that if the coach selected at this time had an 8.1GM I would be okay for at least 10 years which is what I am planning for currently. Again, thanks.l

Jerry
Jerry1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver,
Alan mentioned the production of the 8.1 GM engine for marine use "only" at the WCMC rally, at Emerald Desert last April. GM stopped production for truck and RV use Janurary 2010. Surprised that the Workhorse team at WCMC Cape Hatters rally didn't mention this.

Ed
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster47 View Post
Driver,
Alan mentioned the production of the 8.1 GM engine for marine use "only" at the WCMC rally, at Emerald Desert last April. GM stopped production for truck and RV use Janurary 2010. Surprised that the Workhorse team at WCMC Cape Hatters rally didn't mention this.

Ed
Paste from WIKIPEDIA:

The Vortec 8100 (RPO L18) is a V8 truck engine. It is a redesigned Chevrolet Big-Block engine and was introduced with the 2001 full-size pickup trucks. It is an all-iron engine (block and heads) with two valves per cylinder. It retains the same bore centers as the old 7.4 L big-blocks, but stroke was upped by 9.4 mm to reach 8.1L (496cuin) for a total of 107.95 mm bore and 111 mm stroke. Power output ranges from 225 hp (168 kW) to 450 horsepower (340 kW) and torque from 455 lb·ft (617 N·m) to 490 lb·ft (664 N·m). Vortec 8100s were built in Tonawanda, New York. The Vortec 8100 is the engine used in the largest Uhaul, their 26-foot (7.9 m) truck. GM stopped installing big block V-8's in the Silverado HD trucks, when the GMT-800 series was discontinued in 2007. 8100 marine engines range from 300 to 500 hp and come with a stand-alone ECM. The last L18 was manufactured in December 2009.
Important differences between the Vortec 8100 and older big blocks include a changed firing order (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3), a new 18-bolt head bolt pattern, different symmetrical intake ports, different oil pan rails and the use of metric threads throughout the engine. The fuel-injection system for the Vortec 8100 is nearly identical to that used on Gen III engines, right down to the fuel and spark tables in the ECU.[25]

I understood that the GM engine plant in N. Tonawanda, NY was closed down as part of the restructuring during the bankruptcy proceedings. I believe we have seen a picture posted here on iRV2.com which was said to be a picture of the LAST engine off the line which was destined for a GM museum somewhere. It had "autographs" all over it from the workers who put it together.

If the GM 8.1 L motor IS still being manufactured, I hope someone will post WHERE it is being built, and by whom. I'm quite sure that WCC would still be using it if it were available in quantities and could meet current emmision standards for on highway RV use. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if anyone has looked at the current pickup engines, (6.0-6.2 variations). They have the hp, (over 400 stock), and are close on torque to the 8.1. With good long tube headers, etc (in another words, a Banks designed system), they would be higher in torqe than the stock 8.1. That would not leave as much room for the aftermarket crowd, but could be a solution. I have had two of the 6.0 K2500 pickups, and they were not too bad on fuel consumption either, certainly better than the 8.1 in HD pickups, when that choice was available.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
I wonder if anyone has looked at the current pickup engines, (6.0-6.2 variations).
Workhorse shows VIN# character 7 in the 8th position for the following engine:

LY6 (6.0L V8 GEN IV)
The Vortec 6000 LY6 is a Generation IV small block V8 truck engine. It shares the same bore and stroke as its LQ4 predecessor, and also features variable valve timing.
LY6 applications:To answer your question, yes WCC has looked at it.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
If the GM 8.1L is no longer available and the Ford V-10 is its replacement does that mean the Allison transmission is no longer an option??
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
If the GM 8.1L is no longer available and the Ford V-10 is its replacement does that mean the Allison transmission is no longer an option??
Currently manufactured W series Workhorse chassis equipped with the MaxxForce 7 AEGR Twin-Turbo V8 Diesel come standard with 6 Speed Allison automatic transmissions.

A V10 is not a replacement for the 8.1L Vortec. It is simply the only alternative on the market at this time which is being offered by Ford in the Super Duty F53 chassis.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #26

Okay, maybe not the right group to ask but another thing one of the salesman said was they drove two each of the Ford and Workhorse chassis across the US and the Ford road smoother and quieter than the Workhorse. Just sales talk or??? Anyone have the experience with both type and any comments would be appreciated.
Jerry1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1909 View Post
Okay, maybe not the right group to ask but another thing one of the salesman said was they drove two each of the Ford and Workhorse chassis across the US and the Ford road smoother and quieter than the Workhorse. Just sales talk or??? Anyone have the experience with both type and any comments would be appreciated.
I would drive both and decide for myself.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1909 View Post
Just sales talk or??? Anyone have the experience with both type and any comments would be appreciated.
Now if you were to talk to a Ferry driver and he said that, I might be inclined to believe it but that said, they guys that drive these things every day for a livin' like the Workhorse better.

As was previously written, drive both yourself and you decide.