Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
As many of you know the temp gage registers in "ranges". So, I did some research and found out what the ranges were. But, all the temps were in Celsius. I got out my little handy dandy convert pgm and converted Celsius to Fahrenheit and added them to the photo.

Notes:
* At sea level the boiling point of water is 212? F or 100? C.
* A 15-pound pressure cap (2.5? per lb of pressure) adds 37.5? to raise the boiling point to 249? F or 120? C.
* Add a 50/50 solution of anti-freeze and water this increases the boiling point to 262? F or 128? C.
* The boiling point will drop about 2? per 1000 ft of altitude.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #2

As many of you know the temp gage registers in "ranges". So, I did some research and found out what the ranges were. But, all the temps were in Celsius. I got out my little handy dandy convert pgm and converted Celsius to Fahrenheit and added them to the photo.

Notes:
* At sea level the boiling point of water is 212? F or 100? C.
* A 15-pound pressure cap (2.5? per lb of pressure) adds 37.5? to raise the boiling point to 249? F or 120? C.
* Add a 50/50 solution of anti-freeze and water this increases the boiling point to 262? F or 128? C.
* The boiling point will drop about 2? per 1000 ft of altitude.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
But I thought Workhorse calibrated their gauges to always read mid scale ( no matter what the temp is) until an over heat condition occurs.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #4

I don't think you will see any movement until the temp goes over say 225 or so.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Nice graphic Dale!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #6

I would like to take credit for it but I got it out of the Workhorse manual. I just added a couple of things. I guess I need to do a copyright on it... oops.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mines normaly welded in the middle but I've seen it ride in the 5/8ths position. I once saw it go all the way to the 302F position but I still think it was an electrical glitch. The engine was running perfectly normal and no fans were running.
I since wired a manual switch to turn the 2 electric fans on manually if I feel it could use some extra air.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 AM   #8

Thats another reason I like the scan gauge it gives reading on the temp and I can see it rise and fall. Along with lots of other information...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well mine is the old school type. It goes up and down as the load and outside temp changes. Maybe they should go back to the old type.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Good useful info. My temp gauge only moves from cold to the center position.
I use the scan gauge now for the temperatures, and I have piece of mind. The lowest operating temperature I have seen is 187, the highest was 214 and that was in the Golden Co. area with a high elevation.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bigdaddy:
Well mine is the old school type. It goes up and down as the load and outside temp changes. Maybe they should go back to the old type. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Amen Bigdaddy, as for reading temperatures, the one on my workhorse is next to worthless. A red light would have been more practical than the one I have.

dieselclacker
Old 12-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, I concur. Some of the new technology is great but some of the new stuff just makes you scratch your head and say "Why???"
At least we don't have pictures of jack rabbits , turtles, lightening bolts , oil cans and a lake with waves. That's what some heavy equipment has , in case we can't read. But you gotta be really smart to know what the lighted pictures mean.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by depchief:
Good useful info. My temp gauge only moves from cold to the center position.
I use the scan gauge now for the temperatures, and I have piece of mind. The lowest operating temperature I have seen is 187, the highest was 214 and that was in the Golden Co. area with a high elevation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I totally agree about the light.

I often wondered about three, Low-Med-High, with High being red and flashing. No buzzers please, they're all starting to sound the same. Every time an alarm goes off in the coach, the situation is usualy resolved itself before I can find it. Between Workhorse, Powergear, and monoxide alarms, etc., there are far too many with the same Beep, Beep, Beep.

As for the gauge, what does it actually "Gauge"? It's really more of an indicator. Not close enough in my book.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #14

I have a 2002 Kountry with the feel good gauge,it always reads on the second mark from the bottom on the left side. I am looking at the Scangauge 11, will it read actual coolant temp. or will it read