Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone actually seen one of the Spartan mid-engine diesels on a finished motorhome? It sure seems like servicing the engine, transmission, etc. would be a real pain. I even wonder how difficult it is to check the fluids.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:00 AM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone actually seen one of the Spartan mid-engine diesels on a finished motorhome? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Newmar is building a lot of their new ALLSTAR, which is exclusively on the ME chassis. There is a large rectangular access hatch in the kitchen floor. I don't know if there is access to dip sticks and such through an exterior side compartment, or not. I'll look closer next time. ED.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:41 AM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone actually seen one of the Spartan mid-engine diesels on a finished motorhome? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Newmar is building a lot of their new ALLSTAR, which is exclusively on the ME chassis. There is a large rectangular access hatch in the kitchen floor. I don't know if there is access to dip sticks and such through an exterior side compartment, or not. I'll look closer next time. ED. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's one here at Howard RV where I'll be til Tuesday morning,I'll check that out Ed....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #32
Administrator Emeritus

There's a latched floor compartment where you access the top of the engine....the oil fills in there.

In a side compartment you have access to the dip sticks on one side and the batteries on the other side.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
edgray, don't remember which coach bldrs are selling the 'cheap' diesels. One quoted starting at $129,000. I'm going back Monday and will come home w/mags for my trouble and will post more then.

Also because this thread is considering engine placement/ wt distribution etc, I'll toss in this link: http://linkmfg.com/Liftable%20Suspen...alift%20II.htm
AND ask what resemblance the WH chassis has to the GM 5500 HD?

I'm going to get into this much deeper as time goes on if for no other reason than because it's in my noggin and I can't give it up till I know all there is.
Like I said before, an altogether new approach. I'll give a hint.
I worked for awhile for TWA at O'Hare in '66-'67 in air cargo. Back then the all cargo plane was the 707. The shpmts were weighed as they came in and put in the proper destination area. As the pallets were loaded the pkg positions were noted and each pallet weighed when full. The aircraft was then loaded with each pallet manifested with weight. There is no more critical application for correct weight distribution of palletized shipping than aircraft. The depot only had 2 men qualified to ok the pallets. I was allowed to watch over their shoulders to learn. Before I left TWA (regretfully) the new 747 came online and containerization was the new way. The floor construction of containers took care of distribution of the weight of contents.
So I'm thinking in the area of airframe floor construction as a replacement of what I refer to as an antiquated chassis design for motorhomes. I'll state the flaws of the parallel rail design another time.
Ya all have a good un.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:25 AM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In a side compartment you have access to the dip sticks on one side and the batteries on the other side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
THANKS for clarifying that point, BOB. I did not think Newmar / Spartan would require the kitchen floor hatch to be opened, just to check the oil.

I'm guessing the ME placement doea come at the cost of loss of basement storage, because the floor plans use the area in the rear, where the engine is NOT, for features other than basement storage. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tried to find mag again this am, no luck. Closest I could find was $135,000 starting point on diesels. Two at same price, still not bad, Hoilday Rambler Vacationeer and Monaco La Palma. Everyone probably knows about those.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #36

Travel Supreme's ME has been available for over three years. Have driven both TS and ATME-great handling!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #37

This is an excerpt from the Workhorse Horsepower newsletter I received today. I guess we'll have to wait a couple weeks to get the real skinny. I'm looking forward to what the big announcement will be.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #38

Copy of the excerpt from the Workhorse Horsepower didn't go the first time...try again.

August 8th, 2006
Stay tuned, something BIG is coming!

The earth may not stand still, but Workhorse is expecting to make an out-of-this-world announcement to the RV community by the end of August. We are pleased to be working with RV manufacturers on a project that will be the first of its kind within the industry. This project will shape the future of RVing in a significant way. And, as a subscriber to this e-newsletter, you'll be among the very first to know about it! So be sure and watch your In Box for our next edition.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobAndTeresa:
.... as a subscriber to this e-newsletter, you'll be among the very first to know about it! So be sure and watch your In Box for our next edition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There you go! Get on that folks and go and register on workhorse.com !
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote